Confirmed with Link: Canes Sign Defenseman Jake Gardiner to 4 Year Contract

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Gardiner replaces Hamilton's skillset more than he does Faulk's. Plus Hamilton costs more. If we were to move either Hamilton or Faulk, my money would be on Hamilton - presupposing we can get a Faulk deal done soonish

member 157595

Interesting about putting TVR on LTIR. Sounded like he'd be ready.

I like that lineup, although I think this is more likely:
Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Fleury-Faulk

Yes, Pesce looked great on the left. But that doesn't mean we should put Gardiner on the right sight unseen to let Pesce play on the left.

Then once a Faulk move is made, put TVR in next to Fleury. Or move Faulk.

The PK will now be:
Slavin-Hamilton (or Slavin-Faulk)
Fleury-Pesce?

I'm excited for the PP, but interested to see how Rod constructs the PK.

Jake Gardiner should not be playing on the right side under any circumstances. Pesce is an ideal partner for him and he should play the right side. They would complement each other very well.

Pairing him with a guy like Hamilton is not recommended either.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm just surprised that he actually took 4 years at that AAV. A one year deal to take another crack next Summer seemed like the way to go at that price point. He's potentially leaving $6-$8 mil over the same 4 year period on the table here.
Apparently there were one and two years on table but he's done that game.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What's crazy, is now you think "We can trade Faulk for a forward!" But does the team even need a forward? They have Foegele-Necas-Martinook-McGinn competing for the 3rd line wing spots, I guess. But those are good contracts for players who could hit 15g in the bottom 6.
Faulk for future considerations!

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
What's crazy, is now you think "We can trade Faulk for a forward!" But does the team even need a forward? They have Foegele-Necas-Martinook-McGinn competing for the 3rd line wing spots, I guess. But those are good contracts for players who could hit 15g in the bottom 6.

What about Faulk + Reimer + Toronto 1st + some good prospect for a high-end goalie?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Agreed except we're now second in the league in cap hit after Toronto. We'd be in the same boat as them trying to fit these guys under the cap.
We also have $9m in dead money coming off the books over the next 2 offseasons. Combine that with the likelihood of the cap going up again, and we should be fine going forward.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This signing is all about taking advantage of the post-Day 1 UFA market. Yes, Canes were already stacked on D. The fact is, though, that the one remaining premier UFA was a defenseman, and every other team was sweating bullets about the RFAs. Because every single player that we had was locked up, including Aho, I was screaming for weeks about the Canes having the luxury to pull a power move and having the ability to sign Gardiner to a value contract. Incredibly, they did exactly that. Bravo!

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
We also have $9m in dead money coming off the books over the next 2 offseasons. Combine that with the likelihood of the cap going up again, and we should be fine going forward.

No but like how would we even make the money work this year? Cap going in would have to equal cap going out, and Toronto can't do that because it's the exact situation they're in now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad