Confirmed with Link: Canes Sign Defenseman Jake Gardiner to 4 Year Contract

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Holy shit.

If Faulk is indeed out, this is the second year in a row we’ve traded away a defenseman for something of value, then replaced him for “free” from free agency (Hanifin out/de Haan in, Faulk out/Gardiner in).

This is how you build assets. Let’s say we get a 2nd only for Faulk. If you consider Gardiner and Faulk exchangeable assets, you’ve just “signed” a 2nd rounder as a free agent.

This is straight up what I do every offseason in EA NHL games. Trade my good players away for high draft picks and sign top free agents to take their place. It’s insane to see a team doing a watered down version of this in real life.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Holy ****.

If Faulk is indeed out, this is the second year in a row we’ve traded away a defenseman for something of value, then replaced him for “free” from free agency (Hanifin out/de Haan in, Faulk out/Gardiner in).

This is how you build assets. Let’s say we get a 2nd only for Faulk. If you consider Gardiner and Faulk exchangeable assets, you’ve just “signed” a 2nd rounder as a free agent.

This is straight up what I do every offseason in EA NHL games. Trade my good players away for high draft picks and sign top free agents to take their place. It’s insane to see a team doing a watered down version of this in real life.

Spoiler: Dundon is playing EANHL for real now.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
how likely is it exactly that this group, with as elaborate as everything has been planned, has a trade with faulk basically already completed pending their success in getting gardiner under contract? they wouldn't go over the cap this close to the start of the season without that contingency.

Probably, although the contingency could be "trade him for considerations" and this would still be a win.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Jesus Christ, our cap situation on defense is unreal

Slavin - $5.3m
Hamilton - $5.75m
Pesce - $4.025m
Gardiner - $4.050m

$19.125m total cap usage over the top 2 lines. And the kicker is, they're all locked in for another year. And on top of that, Slavin, Pesce, and Gardiner are all locked in for at least 4 years.

Thats.... wow

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
safe_image.php

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Yep. Now we all sit and wonder if it’s Faulk, Hamilton, or Pesce. Probably Faulk, but maybe they’ve got something crazy in mind. Who knows.

Man I love this team and how it’s being run. Dundon just coming in saying “wait so I can just add assets for free with no repercussions? Why wouldn’t I do that?”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad