Confirmed with Link: Canes Sign Defenseman Jake Gardiner to 4 Year Contract

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Hopefully that goal tonight can help get him going.

Outside of one glaring mistake in each of the past 2 games, he’s actually been decent since the Nashville game.

Don’t tell him I said that.

Reactions: Unsustainable

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
From Dom L. (not trying to spell that name) in a recent Athletic article:

11. It’s not the worst plus-minus in the league, but it is the worst among actual NHL teams (sorry Detroit). Jake Gardiner – the guy who looked like a major offseason addition for Carolina – is currently sitting ahead of just three Red Wings in plus-minus at minus-18 on the season. When it’s that bad it’s natural to ask questions and wonder what’s wrong with the player, so here are mine.
Is it Gardiner’s fault the team is scoring on just 2.9 percent of its shots when he’s on the ice at 5-on-5 when his career average is 8.3 percent and career-low is 6.1 percent in 2014-15? Is it Gardiner’s fault the goalie’s save percentage is just .892 this season when he’s on the ice at 5-on-5 when his career average is .930 and career-low is .916 percent in 2011-12?
The answer to both is probably not. Yes, he’s coming off a scary injury and this is a new team with weaker finishers and goaltenders, but Gardiner has been mostly above team average in both regards for much of his career – this year he’s dead last on both accounts by a large degree. That he plays on the third pair is probably a burden more than a blessing as he’s been playing far fewer minutes with the top six and left to babysit some of the team’s weakest defenders. All the while he’s still earning a 55 percent expected goals rate, which is a nearly 30 percentage points higher than his actual goals rate. Over time, those two numbers should come much closer together, especially given Gardiner’s history.

Gardiner's been bad defensively, no question there, but his rotation of D partners have also been really bad, at least in my eyes. Fleury "looks" better in an eye-test over TVR so far, but he, like Gardiner, seems to have at least 1 really bad "oops" a game that leads to either a goal against or prime scoring chance.

Gardiner's game should eventually comes around and I hope they try him out with Pesce again. That had to have been the plan when they signed him. It just hasn't worked out that way, with having to take a D back in the Faulk trade and with Gardiner's lackluster play so far.

If I had any say, I'd just settle on trading Fleury. I get the cap and continuity concerns with Edmundson and TVR coming to UFA and Fleury having RFA years left, but I just don't see Fleury as a Cane after this year. I'd scratch him till a suitable deal was found and roll with Slavin, Hamilton, Pesce, Gardiner, Edmundson and TVR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad