Confirmed with Link: Canes Sign Defenseman Jake Gardiner to 4 Year Contract

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Yep. Now we all sit and wonder if it’s Faulk, Hamilton, or Pesce. Probably Faulk, but maybe they’ve got something crazy in mind. Who knows.

Man I love this team and how it’s being run. Dundon just coming in saying “wait so I can just add assets for free with no repercussions? Why wouldn’t I do that?”

Why negotiate with your pending UFAs when you can sign similiar UFAs and trade yours for picks?

Why hasn't anybody else thought of this before? :)

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Why negotiate with your pending UFAs when you can sign similiar UFAs and trade yours for picks?

That’s what I’m saying. It’s an EA NHL move all the way.

Nothing is “free.” It’s just that the team paying for it is going to be the one that’s going to give up an asset for Justin Faulk instead of signing Jake Gardiner for nothing.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Priskie signs - Waddell "He is great on the PP"
Gardiner signs - Waddell "He is great on the PP"

#1 PPQB Justin Faulk
giphy.gif

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm uneasy about this. I understand why they did it; Gardiner at that price point for that term is good value. I think Faulk is a better fit for this roster in that there's greater flexibility in defensive matchups with Slavin on one pair and Pesce-Faulk on the other. I also don't think turning over a quarter of the roster or more year after year is a good thing.

Don't expect too much in the way of value in a Faulk trade. The same market forces, notably a lack of leaguewide cap space, that forced Gardiner into this contract will prevent any good return for Faulk.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm uneasy about this. I understand why they did it; Gardiner at this price point is good value. I think Faulk is a better fit for this roster in that there's greater flexibility in defensive matchups with Slavin on one pair and Pesce-Faulk on the other. I also don't think turning over a quarter of the roster or more year after year is a good thing.

Don't expect too much in the way of value in a Faulk trade. The same market forces, notably a lack of leaguewide cap space, that forced Gardiner into this contract will prevent any good return for Faulk.

See I would’ve said the other way around. Hamilton makes a PP triggerman like Faulk redundant. Gardiner isn’t out of place QBing a PP versus just being the cannon. I also think Gardiner’s just generally a better player, and even if you don’t, we weren’t getting Faulk extended at $4m per year.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
As I’m thinking about it, we can also just send Gibbons and Fleury/Forsling down (from the current numbers on CapFriendly) and just run 6 really good dmen. TVR is probably the LTIR guy referenced in @Vagrant article, and maybe we ice:

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
Fleury-Gardiner
Forsling

and one of Forsling/Fleury go down when TVR is back.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
Pens fan here. I'm jealous. You're win now combined with having high end prospects. Not fair.

You know this better than me of course, but a rough depth chart looks something like this now?

Niederreiter – Aho – Teravainen
Necas – Staal – Svechnikov
Foegele – Haula - Dzingel
Martinook - Wallmark – Geekie

Maenalanen, McGinn, Suzuki, Mattheos, Rees, Bishops, Pritchard, Drury, Kuokkanen, Hofmann, Poturalski, Cotton, Roy, Saarela, Gauthier

Slavin – Hamilton
Pesce - Gardiner
Bean - Faulk

Forsling, Van Riemsdyk, Fleury, Priskie, Sellgren, Carrick, De Jong, Sellgren

Mrazek
Nedeljkovic
Reimer, Forsberg, Kochetkov

Add 6 draft picks in the coming three rounds and that's one hell of a position to be in.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Was it you? LOL

I'm slamming refresh on Twitter. I know it's coming.

an additional bonus is that montreal has been heavily rumored with gardiner as well.

Quite possible that was actually the key to this signing. I wouldn't put it past Dundon that rubbing other teams' noses in it is a feature, not a bug.

But ... but ... how will we ever replace what Tim Gleason brings?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Slavin Hamilton
Pesce Faulk
Gardiner Fleury/TVR

Gets 16+ min of easy comp plus #1 pp time + mild weather and lots of golf. He stole Calvins roots :*(

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
As I’m thinking about it, we can also just send Gibbons and Fleury/Forsling down (from the current numbers on CapFriendly) and just run 6 really good dmen. TVR is probably the LTIR guy referenced in @Vagrant article, and maybe we ice:

Slavin-Hamilton
Pesce-Faulk
Fleury-Gardiner
Forsling

and one of Forsling/Fleury go down when TVR is back.

Interesting about putting TVR on LTIR. Sounded like he'd be ready.

I like that lineup, although I think this is more likely:
Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Fleury-Faulk

Yes, Pesce looked great on the left. But that doesn't mean we should put Gardiner on the right sight unseen to let Pesce play on the left.

Then once a Faulk move is made, put TVR in next to Fleury. Or move Faulk.

The PK will now be:
Slavin-Hamilton (or Slavin-Faulk)
Fleury-Pesce?

I'm excited for the PP, but interested to see how Rod constructs the PK.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad