Confirmed with Link: Canes Sign Defenseman Jake Gardiner to 4 Year Contract

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
That is not what I said. Anger should be expected, but calling someone a "worthless piece of ****" is nothing I advocated for. Gardiner is terrible, made a mistake, and is easily the worst of our seven defensemen this year. But I've never called him a worthless piece of ****. I just don't want him on our team.
Fair enough. If you followed the string of quotes that is what the comments have stemmed from.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
We are fans. On a fan message board about a team we care about. What do you expect? If you don't want or expect some anger, maybe find a nice crochet message board.

LonelyAllAlbatross-size_restricted.gif

They don't allow jerks at ravelry.com.

Ravelry - a knit and crochet community

The Rules
-klip-

Don’t be a Jerk: Don’t be a jerk

Also all the mods have WHL Bantam Draft names.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah, my wife is on Ravelry, and I can assure you that they haven't solved the angry jerk problem.
I had a nagging feeling in the back of my head that this wasn't the first time Ravelry.com got mentioned here.

Also, I considered mentioning that cross-posting like this has risks involved as it was recently on the news that a Facebook single women group decided to invade a Facebook angling group because they felt they would got some loose men there, but I see Mrs. Hank is several steps ahead of me already.

ONO94

Jan 18, 2010
Yeah, my wife is on Ravelry, and I can assure you that they haven't solved the angry jerk problem.

Hey, if you're going to use the wrong hook size, expect to be chirped. And if you double crochet when you should single crochet because you can't figure out what country you are in....then expect a Mike Babcock like response.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
We are fans. On a fan message board about a team we care about. What do you expect? If you don't want or expect some anger, maybe find a nice crochet message board.

Thanks for the great advice.

I really don’t care either way. People can get as angry as they like. I think it’s stupid but whatever. Never said anything about people needing to stop.

Reactions: Tryamw

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Can’t we just keep the deranged angry posts to the GDT? Isn’t that what it’s for? Bumping this post every time Gardiner ****s up isnt necessary

I just took this as a "Jake Gardiner discussion thread", as generally, that's what every signing and/or trade topic becomes.

And while GDTs are great for discussing individual f*** ups, in this case, he's performed enough of them in enough games that it's worthy of a discussion.

But if you'd prefer this topic to simply remain about his signing, I'm sure we can needlessly create a "Jake Gardiner is Waddell's biggest mistake to date" topic to discuss how the team is going to deal with him.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I just took this as a "Jake Gardiner discussion thread", as generally, that's what every signing and/or trade topic becomes.

And while GDTs are great for discussing individual **** ups, in this case, he's performed enough of them in enough games that it's worthy of a discussion.

But if you'd prefer this topic to simply remain about his signing, I'm sure we can needlessly create a "Jake Gardiner is Waddell's biggest mistake to date" topic to discuss how the team is going to deal with him.
In before bleedgreen says “that topic is reserved for trading Calvin de Haan” .....

And I’d “like” that post”

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

And while GDTs are great for discussing individual **** ups, in this case, he's performed enough of them in enough games that it's worthy of a discussion.

A Jake Gardiner discussion thread is fine. Unhinged rage posts during a game should go in the GDT since the same people posted the same rage in both threads. Just a personal opinion.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Apparently, its just fine unless I'm the one expressing the anger. Then its "why are you always so angry?"

Not that I'd defend this guy BTW. I was perfectly happy with Faulk. To call him a "worthless piece of shit" is perhaps over the top.

Maybe, "a worthless piece of Tomas Kaberle's marshmallow looking torso" or something thats a little more fun.

Reactions: MinJerkBen

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
We have top 10 PK/PP in the league. We have top 10 D in the league (78 goals against us, #10 or #11, i don't remember)... yet Gardiner is the biggest reason why we are not that good at all? I remember how upset were the fans last season with Hamilton. Some of them wanted him gone before the Christmas.

Gardiner is bad at the moment but I'm not ready to give on him. He was ideal #3 in last 5-6 seasons. Be patient.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
In before bleedgreen says “that topic is reserved for trading Calvin de Haan” .....

And I’d “like” that post”

Probably one in the same. We traded DeHann for (apparently) being too expensive to play on the 3rd pairing + having a questionable injury future and then when acquire Gardiner who...is too expensive to play on the 3rd pairing and (I have to assume) is clearly affected by his past injury.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it works like this, folks. you're going to take swings and you're going to miss. that's the nature of the business. the lesson here for dundon is that most of the time, if a player is sitting without a contract as deep into the process as gardiner was, there's a reason for it. when up front money is of no interest to them, only term, there's a reason for it. if you can read the tea leaves in those situations you can infer what the player is saying to you by his contract demands. he knew his game was deteriorating at a level that doesn't bode well for his chances of being productive through the life of that contract. when the player himself believes that, you're a fool to give it to him. we all hoped for a different outcome in our desperate need for the player that he was previously, but these types of russian roulette signings sometimes hit the wrong cylinder. carolina isn't alone in that. just take a look at the list of unrestricted free agent signings from the last 10 years and try to find a team that hasn't done this. it's part of spending to the cap to give out speculative contracts and hope for the best. we're just the ones that got left holding the bag this time.

as negative as this sounds, i don't believe it's even remotely close to "over" for gardiner here. we just need to proceed with some different expectations. we have to forget his salary and evaluate him against the expectations of a replacement level player. if over time, we get enough out of him to survive on our third pairing and maybe have some bright spots every now and again, that's the best you can hope for at this point. it's likely at some point there will be talk of buying that contract out or trying to move it, but until such a time arrives the best we can do is support his play and try not to focus too extensively on what he can't do anymore and try to resign ourselves to what he can. he's not a bad person because he took the contract and he's not physically able to be the impact player he once was. he's still trying to be that guy and that might be part of his problem too. he needs to simplify, rebuild his game, and take care of his own zone as a matter of priority. his turnover last night was in attempt to do too much. that needs to leave his game at this stage of his career. he's going to lose a lot more of those than he wins now that his body has betrayed him.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
it works like this, folks. you're going to take swings and you're going to miss. that's the nature of the business. the lesson here for dundon is that most of the time, if a player is sitting without a contract as deep into the process as gardiner was, there's a reason for it. when up front money is of no interest to them, only term, there's a reason for it. if you can read the tea leaves in those situations you can infer what the player is saying to you by his contract demands. he knew his game was deteriorating at a level that doesn't bode well for his chances of being productive through the life of that contract. when the player himself believes that, you're a fool to give it to him. we all hoped for a different outcome in our desperate need for the player that he was previously, but these types of russian roulette signings sometimes hit the wrong cylinder. carolina isn't alone in that. just take a look at the list of unrestricted free agent signings from the last 10 years and try to find a team that hasn't done this. it's part of spending to the cap to give out speculative contracts and hope for the best. we're just the ones that got left holding the bag this time.

as negative as this sounds, i don't believe it's even remotely close to "over" for gardiner here. we just need to proceed with some different expectations. we have to forget his salary and evaluate him against the expectations of a replacement level player. if over time, we get enough out of him to survive on our third pairing and maybe have some bright spots every now and again, that's the best you can hope for at this point. it's likely at some point there will be talk of buying that contract out or trying to move it, but until such a time arrives the best we can do is support his play and try not to focus too extensively on what he can't do anymore and try to resign ourselves to what he can. he's not a bad person because he took the contract and he's not physically able to be the impact player he once was. he's still trying to be that guy and that might be part of his problem too. he needs to simplify, rebuild his game, and take care of his own zone as a matter of priority. his turnover last night was in attempt to do too much. that needs to leave his game at this stage of his career. he's going to lose a lot more of those than he wins now that his body has betrayed him.
Is Gardiner even at replacement player level right now? There's a strong case to be made that, going forward if we are going to healthy scratch any of our d-men at least for the near future, it has to be him. TVR, Edmundson, Fleury, heck maybe even some of the Checkers guys would probably be better either offensively or defensively than Gardiner right now.

I sure hope he can turn it around, but right now he's just bad. He's actively hurting us when he plays, even in the games where he's playing well.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Is Gardiner even at replacement player level right now? There's a strong case to be made that, going forward if we are going to healthy scratch any of our d-men at least for the near future, it has to be him. TVR, Edmundson, Fleury, heck maybe even some of the Checkers guys would probably be better either offensively or defensively than Gardiner right now.

I sure hope he can turn it around, but right now he's just bad. He's actively hurting us when he plays, even in the games where he's playing well.

he's not at present a replacement level type player, but he needs to be made aware of his deficiencies in skating that make his offensive pinches so devastating. he needs to do a lot less out there and play with an understanding that he can't do now what he did then. the fact that he's been on for only 7 goals this season is a big warning sign about the way his offensive game has gone. every player has this cross to bear eventually and some do it with a higher degree of success than others, but you have to adapt your game to account for your skills diminishing as you advance in age. he needs to settle into the concept that he shouldn't be out there taking the chances dougie takes because he can't recover and defend the chance the other way if required because his foot speed is gone. it's just a change in mindset to play a more conservative game and not worry about the points anymore. just to keep his own zone clean and anything offensive he does needs to be a function of the simplicity of his game. that's our only chance to reclaim any value from this move.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
he's not at present a replacement level type player, but he needs to be made aware of his deficiencies in skating that make his offensive pinches so devastating. he needs to do a lot less out there and play with an understanding that he can't do now what he did then. the fact that he's been on for only 7 goals this season is a big warning sign about the way his offensive game has gone. every player has this cross to bear eventually and some do it with a higher degree of success than others, but you have to adapt your game to account for your skills diminishing as you advance in age. he needs to settle into the concept that he shouldn't be out there taking the chances dougie takes because he can't recover and defend the chance the other way if required because his foot speed is gone. it's just a change in mindset to play a more conservative game and not worry about the points anymore. just to keep his own zone clean and anything offensive he does needs to be a function of the simplicity of his game. that's our only chance to reclaim any value from this move.
But the problem with him is that he's never been that good of an actual defensive player. His value comes from being an upper tier offensive defenseman who helps drive the offensive play when he's on the ice. We can't rely on him to really even be a good defensive defenseman because that's never been his game, and if he's just not got it anymore to be an offensive force, he quickly trends toward negative value to the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00