Confirmed with Link: Canes Sign Defenseman Jake Gardiner to 4 Year Contract

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
He's been more aggressive in coming down deep in the offensive zone and supporting the forecheck and cycle. That increased confidence is also noticeable in his ability to play his off-side really; I'm not sure he's able to receive pucks and make plays with his forehand to the middle in year's past.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Gardiner has not been good in any measurable way but his 5v5 stats this year are wonky.

One might look at Gardiner's -17 while the next lowest D on the team (TVR) is -4 and conclude that Gardiner has been much worse defensively than his teammates but that isn't quite true.

In 5v5 play Gardiner has been on the ice for only one more goal against (18 GA) than Edmundson has (17 GA) in similar minutes. Then how, one may ask, is Edmundson a +5 while Gardiner is a -17? The primary answer to that mystery is that during 5v5 play Edmundson has been on the ice for 19 Goals For while Gardiner has been on the ice for just 6 Goals For. When Joel Edmundson is on the ice the team as a whole is shooting at a 9.55% (highest among Canes D) and while Jake Gardiner is on the ice the team is shooting at a 2.90% (lowest among Canes D). Given the two players' history I think it would be hard to argue that this is because Edmundson is the superior offensive catalyst.

And Gardiner's worst (or possibly outlier) 5v5 play statistically this year has come with the D partner he has played the most minutes with - Brett Pesce. In the 138 minutes of 5v5 time that Gardiner-Pesce played together the Canes On-Ice shooting % was 1.37% which encapsulates 1 goal. Calculated out, when Pesce and Gardiner were paired together the Canes had 73 shots on goal and scored once.

Statistically this shows a player who is due for some strong regression to the OISh% mean. It also highlights the main issue identified with the eye test this year that Gardiner has been ineffective offensively. Something that was supposed to be his strength. I am optimistic that Gardiner has just had a string of bad luck which snowballed into a confidence problem.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Gardiner's biggest problem is that he can't skate anymore. It's horrendously bad and it makes him a bad fit for this particular roster. If he was not already an established NHL player, he'd be one of those guys in the AHL solely there to just work on his skating. Skating was the thing that stuck out to me early into his tenure here, but I chalked it up to him coming off a back injury. It appears he's healthy now though so we're just going to have to find a way to make him work here.

Reactions: zman77

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
qsH4lLMY_bigger.jpg
Sean Tierney‏ @ChartingHockey 1h1 hour ago

Expectation vs results Gardiner's suffered through negative on-ice results but his expectation has been as good as other CAR regulars.
He's been unlucky so far and I'll defend him to my grave.

pic.twitter.com/Pu7lXAWP8V
EK4KG8iXkAA05OH.png

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
qsH4lLMY_bigger.jpg
Sean Tierney‏ @ChartingHockey 1h1 hour ago

Expectation vs results Gardiner's suffered through negative on-ice results but his expectation has been as good as other CAR regulars.
He's been unlucky so far and I'll defend him to my grave.

pic.twitter.com/Pu7lXAWP8V
EK4KG8iXkAA05OH.png
So Canes are either Good, or Unlucky (except Gibbons who is pure suckitude)...we must be the only team who doesn't have a single "lucky" player on the chart...which is the most Canes thing ever

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
On the bright side, if this were golf, he would be outpacing his teammates like Tiger Woods in his prime. Only 3 players from one of the worst teams in decades are worse than him in +/- as of now.

At least he has good xG numbers. Or something.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Seriously, it might be time to go the way of Tomas Kaberle, admit it was a mistake, and just get whatever we can for him. For all the shit Faulk got, he, at least, spread out his defensive mistakes. With Gardiner, it’s surprising when he isn’t on the ice for a goal against.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Agreed.

The level of anger some posters display on here is laughable at times. It’s a game.
We are fans. On a fan message board about a team we care about. What do you expect? If you don't want or expect some anger, maybe find a nice crochet message board.

LonelyAllAlbatross-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Svechhammer

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
We are fans. On a fan message board about a team we care about. What do you expect? If you don't want or expect some anger, maybe find a nice crochet message board.

LonelyAllAlbatross-size_restricted.gif
I’ve seen that defense before. I still don’t understand it. “We are fans, therefore it’s normal to call someone a worthless piece of shit because he made a mistake.”

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’ve seen that defense before. I still don’t understand it. “We are fans, therefore it’s normal to call someone a worthless piece of **** because he made a mistake.”
That is not what I said. Anger should be expected, but calling someone a "worthless piece of ****" is nothing I advocated for. Gardiner is terrible, made a mistake, and is easily the worst of our seven defensemen this year. But I've never called him a worthless piece of shit. I just don't want him on our team.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $685.00