Canes/Devils Rivalry?

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Damn, you guys are over thinking the you suck chant.

I would hate to think what you guys would say about what's chanted in "soccer" games here.

Lighten up!

MJB Devils23*

The "You suck" chant itself isn't bad. But chanting it after we score a goal is bad. We're basically crapping on our own team when we chant it.

And I only have a problem with the "YOU suck" part. And the fact it's after OUR TEAM scores a goal is what makes it really bad. I can live with a "You suck" chant during any part of the game that's NOT directly after our team scores. The "opposing team sucks" chant during the song I have no problem with either.

MJB Devils23*

Damn, you guys are over thinking the you suck chant.

I would hate to think what you guys would say about what's chanted in "soccer" games here.

Lighten up!

Serious question. Do soccer fans over there chant "you suck" after their own team scores a goal?

I better get a gold star leaving the arena if i do.

I'll find you, and give you a cookie as well.

Mory Schneideur*

Canes are somewhat of a rival, but not much really. We do dislike them & I do see the hatred growing on both sides thanks to the new division. Personally, I like it, the more rivals the better

sbresistor

Jul 25, 2007
The "You suck" chant itself isn't bad. But chanting it after we score a goal is bad. We're basically crapping on our own team when we chant it.

And I only have a problem with the "YOU suck" part. And the fact it's after OUR TEAM scores a goal is what makes it really bad. I can live with a "You suck" chant during any part of the game that's NOT directly after our team scores. The "opposing team sucks" chant during the song I have no problem with either.

check out some old Type O Negative concert footage (what the crowd chants)

Offseason Champs

May 16, 2011
I hate the "you suck" thing as much as the next guy, but in the heat of the moment, I'm all for yelling it out. I used to care, but it's really a whatever thing now.

The only way it's ever going to change is if they change our goal song (which I'm pretty okay about)

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
tumblr_lkh7vmyYM71qirhk6o1_400.jpg

Mory Schneideur*

Well if we were playing so bad that we let up 7 goals and we finally managed to score one, well yea you do suck for giving one up to a team playing like piss

We could be yelling you suck at the home team :sarcasm:

I remember the "we suck" chants in 2010 during the MacLean era. Both funny and sad at the same time.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105

The way I've always looked at it is, the "you suck" is directed at the opposing goalie, a-la Marty's better!

I won't argue against the fact that the song is part of our identity. Every one of us has the vision of fans waving Pom-Poms to CAA's tinny rendition of RRP2 in 1995. And, except for the brief utilizations of Ole and Kernkraft, it has been our goal song for, like, ever? So yeah, it's part of our identity.

But the whole You Suck addend certainly isn't. I remember I was at a Devils/Isles game in November 2008, and that was the first time I heard the You Suck chant. I really don't know how it started, or how it caught on, really. I find it just as embarrassing as Carolina's cartoon audio clips.

I like Kernkraft 400, but it felt like it didn't belong. I don't see it as a goal song in general, let alone for us.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad