Canes/Devils Rivalry?

Frank Booth239*

No team should be nervous about the Canes...unless, in the unlikely event that they meet them in the post season.

I think it's a great playoff rivalry between the two- but I don't see it translating to the regular season because there aren't a whole lot of sparks there.

Unlike many Canes fans I'm looking forward to the Metropolitan division, since we seem to do better against better teams (ie, always beating the Blackhawks and Canuks, holding our own against Pitt, you guys, Rags, Isles) and always losing to bottom feeders.

As far as "Metropolitan" not applying to Raleigh...you should come down and check out the city. It rates. And that's coming from a native of NYC.

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
No team should be nervous about the Canes...unless, in the unlikely event that they meet them in the post season.

I think it's a great playoff rivalry between the two- but I don't see it translating to the regular season because there aren't a whole lot of sparks there.

Unlike many Canes fans I'm looking forward to the Metropolitan division, since we seem to do better against better teams (ie, always beating the Blackhawks and Canuks, holding our own against Pitt, you guys, Rags, Isles) and always losing to bottom feeders.

As far as "Metropolitan" not applying to Raleigh...you should come down and check out the city. It rates. And that's coming from a native of NYC.

Never been.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Our goal horn doesn't sound like anybody else's. I wouldn't call it unique, but you definitely know when it's ours. Nothing will beat the CAA audio file horn though.

Our "you suck" chant is that bad and there is nothing fun about it. It's awful.

I mentioned earlier how RRP2 is our identity, but the combo of the CAA audio file horn with RRP2 is our true identity. I really want that back as our regular horn/song combination.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I mentioned earlier how RRP2 is our identity, but the combo of the CAA audio file horn with RRP2 is our true identity. I really want that back as our regular horn/song combination.

I like the old Meadowlands horn but the two times we've used it at the Rock, neither game went well at all.

First one was that awful St Patricks Day retro game against the Penguins in 2012. Then game 3 against the Panthers in 2012. The one we went up 3-0 in the first 7 minutes and then stopped playing.

It's funny they didn't stick with the old horn for game 4 or the rest of the playoffs. They went back to the Rock's horn.:laugh:

ILikeItVeryMuch*

You suck is hilarious and is here to stay.

There is absolutely a rivalry with the Hurricanes, based specifically on the amount of times they have ruined our Christmas.

Frank Booth239*

When someone says that a city "rates", what exactly does that mean?

Is that the opposite of "reeks"? :sarcasm:

If something "rates" it means it deserves the title or the thing it has.

Guess it's just a military term.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
bathroom staal.

car_toilet.jpg

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
And this is why I don't like it. It's definitely a college-geared chant, so it's a very weird vibe when you see old men and 12-year-old girls (and my mom..lol) fist-pumping and pointing to the "You Suck" chant. I just can't get behind it.

What's wrong with a young themed rowdy chant that gets the entire arena bumping? Everybody who has gone to big college sporting events will tell you of the great atmosphere but you seldom hear about going to a pro sporting event and people talking about the atmosphere like they do of college ones so what's wrong with having something similar to that type of atmosphere? - I've brought many people to their first Devils games and many have commented along the lines of 'I didn't know people got so into hockey at games'

Sure there are certain things people should and shouldn't do as they get older, but this is a hockey game we're talking about, not thanksgiving dinner - doesn't matter how old you are, have some fun and get into it

Last edited:

MJB Devils23*

You suck is hilarious and is here to stay.

There is absolutely a rivalry with the Hurricanes, based specifically on the amount of times they have ruined our Christmas.

There are several adjectives for the chant.

Distasteful
Classless
Stupid
Pathetic

As you can see, hilarious isn't one of them.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
What's wrong with a young themed rowdy chant that gets the entire arena bumping? Everybody who has gone to big college sporting events will tell you of the great atmosphere but you seldom hear about going to a pro sporting event and people talking about the atmosphere like they do of college ones so what's wrong with having something similar to that type of atmosphere? - I've brought many people to their first Devils games and many have commented along the lines of 'I didn't know people got so into hockey at games'

Sure there are certain things people should and shouldn't do as they get older, but this is a hockey game we're talking about, not thanksgiving dinner - doesn't matter how old you are, have some fun and get into it

And this is when I goes back to the content argument, that it's stupid and immature.

This is the definition of a "personal preference" argument, so there's no point in arguing it.

MJB Devils23*

I'm hoping this becomes an intense but respectful rivalry. I think our rivalry with Ottawa is like that. A mutual respect among the two fan bases always makes games more fun.

fortheloveof666

Resident soothsayer
Feb 22, 2007
Dirty Jerz
There are several adjectives for the chant.

Distasteful
Classless
Stupid
Pathetic

As you can see, hilarious isn't one of them.

How astute.

As you can see, your opinion is just that, an opinion. And as you can see, they're like *******s, everyone has one and taking a bigger **** doesn't make it smell like anything but **** to anyone but you.

It's all relative. It's all ****.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I hate it too. It's starting to grow on me a little but I'm not sure why it ever changed. We never did that at Continental did we?

I remember hearing it on TV during the Carolina series in 2006 at CAA

Anyway, I'm completely neutral towards "Hey! You Suck!" I participate in it all the time, granted, I wouldn't chant it if damn near everyone else in the building wasn't, either.

All I'll say about all the venom being directed towards it, however, is, well, do you guys not love hearing this rain down on the Rags or Flygirls?

I find it satisfying, but that's just me. I even let out a chuckle when a Rainjuhs fan girl I sat next to at a game at MSG said in her thick NY accent, "Oh my Gawd, I hate that you gaiz chant 'you suck.'"

If it makes you mad and you're rooting for the other team, then it must be working.

Last edited:

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
The "you suck" chant is just plain moronic and immature, it's just embarrassing. To add to the idiocy people still chant it when the Devils are getting blown out and finally score a goal. Just get rid of that kid touchers song already and be done with it.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
The "you suck" chant is just plain moronic and immature, it's just embarrassing. To add to the idiocy people still chant it when the Devils are getting blown out and finally score a goal. Just get rid of that kid touchers song already and be done with it.

pretty much...if the team wants to do away with it- change the song.

NC107*

Amen to that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad