Canes/Devils Rivalry?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think the Isles were plenty good enough to make the playoffs. Too much talent to call it a fluke IMO.

They looked like they were running out of gas at the end. I don't believe they would have made it in 82 last year. I think they would have gotten swept possibly by the Penguins if not for that abomination Pittsburgh had in goal before going to Vokoun.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
Very true about the Devils chant. I never really understood it. It seems like more of a celebration of the hatred of the opposition more than an uplifting of the team itself. "You suck" cheers during play? All for 'em. But when my team scores, I want to lose my mind for OUR boys. Not lose it for their guys. With that said, glass houses and such, our goal horn is as hokey and awful as any you'll find but it's been in place so long that I can't .... not hear it? If that makes any sense.

I don't like it either, but it has stuck for some reason. I just don't participate...

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
I agree. I think the Panthers goal chant is cool. Hey you suck is absolutely terrible. Our team just scored. So let's serenade them with hey you suck. Yes I know we aren't aiming it at the Devils, but it just sounds awful. We need to get rid of Rock N' Roll part two completely.
I love "Hey, you suck!". Rock N' Roll Part II is great. I'm glad we're one of the few teams who still use it. Gary Glitter drama be damned. To me, it's part of the Devils identity.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The "Hey You Suck" chant is one of the most ridiculous things in sports. It's so dumb. But I guess it's our ridiculous dumb thing now so I'm prepared to deal with it. I won't participate though.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I went there once.. my uncle lives down there...I was 17...got drunk and acted like a complete idiot. It was 2007 the year after they won the cup. I wore a blank red Devils jersey and some Canes fans came up to me and said " who are you ? gonna replace elias tonight ? " Patty was hurt and I believe it was one of Clarksons first games...or Rassmussen...I'm not sure...I was very drunk.

So we won the game...and I was getting chirped by some rednecks...so...in my drunken state...I start running around the concourse chanting " THREE CUPS! * clap clap * THREE CUPS " I thought I was hilarious...looking back I probably would of kicked my own ass.

:laugh: That's great

The "Hey You Suck" chant is one of the most ridiculous things in sports. It's so dumb. But I guess it's our ridiculous dumb thing now so I'm prepared to deal with it. I won't participate though.

I hate it too. It's starting to grow on me a little but I'm not sure why it ever changed. We never did that at Continental did we?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
if you think "hey, you suck" is bad, you've never been to a football match in scotland :laugh:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's not that it's offensive, I just find it stupid and immature.

Exactly. Here is my perspective. Your team scores, you should be more happy and interested in the fact that they scored a goal than in making fun of the other team. You should be cheering your guys on, not giving all the attention to the other team. Not to mention that if the other team sucks, is scoring a goal against them anything to celebrate? Or are you just interested in making fun of the other team and not rooting for yours? In that case you should just follow the team you like to make fun of around and do that chant every time they get scored against anywhere.

I get no one is reading that far into it. It's still stupid. There is no way that chant is anything but. There is no way of looking at it that really makes any sense. Then again, not much in the world does make sense. So in the end it just is what it is. We're stuck with it.

NC107*

I don't think there is a rivalry, just another team to be concern about.

In the Metro Div I think the team that will give the Devils problems this upcoming season are the Canes, Washington, Rangers and Pittsburgh.

Nervous never.

ajdevjet

we got 3
Aug 20, 2013
In your face !
I don't think there is a rivalry, just another team to be concern about.

In the Metro Div I think the team that will give the Devils problems this upcoming season are the Canes, Washington, Rangers and Pittsburgh.

Nervous never.

concerned about the canes ??? LMAO !

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Cosigner.

It's absolutely classless behavior that, from the outside, would appear to be born from some kind of bizarre white trash mob mentality.

The worst? When you see parents actually condone or even encourage [/] :amazed: their children to take part.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I have a feeling we'll be seeing lots of this

Also saw this awesome caption by RG :laugh:

fancylad_zpsa389dee7.jpg

:laugh: I forgot about that one.

My personal favorite (aside from the Duke boys original)

oval.jpg~original

To the OP however, no, not really. At most a storied playoff opponent.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Exactly. Here is my perspective. Your team scores, you should be more happy and interested in the fact that they scored a goal than in making fun of the other team. You should be cheering your guys on, not giving all the attention to the other team. Not to mention that if the other team sucks, is scoring a goal against them anything to celebrate? Or are you just interested in making fun of the other team and not rooting for yours? In that case you should just follow the team you like to make fun of around and do that chant every time they get scored against anywhere.

I get no one is reading that far into it. It's still stupid. There is no way that chant is anything but. There is no way of looking at it that really makes any sense. Then again, not much in the world does make sense. So in the end it just is what it is. We're stuck with it.
It frustrates me every time we score a goal.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
At least the Canes fans are self aware. Jackets fans somehow thing they are gonna finish anywhere between 2-4th in the Division. with what exactly? Bobrovsky put up a record year in a short season and they still missed. what has changed? Horton? yeah ok

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
At least the Canes fans are self aware. Jackets fans somehow thing they are gonna finish anywhere between 2-4th in the Division. with what exactly? Bobrovsky put up a record year in a short season and they still missed. what has changed? Horton? yeah ok
I saw a fair bit of the Blue Jackets last season, and the team was more than just Bobrovsky. There's promise there.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Not near the level of the Rangers or Flyers but I still ****ing hate them. Especially because of Staal, just something about his face I don't know. Nervous? Not at all, I just want hockey to be back at this point and am excited to see what all the new faces on this team can do.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Carolina a rival? Not since 1866.

:laugh: lulz.

I hate the Hurricanes. Hate Eric Staal. Hate Jordan Staal. Hate Jeff Skinner. Hate Jussi Jokinen for 2009. Loathe Nic friggin' Wallin for 2006. I hate them all.

But no, not a rival, and I agree with RG's assessment of them being a storied playoff opponent. Somewhat similar to our matchups with the Maple Leafs in the playoffs in the early 2000s.

Maybe a rivalry will build from being in the same division, but right now I'd say no.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
I like the "you suck" just because it reminds me of my college days. At Northeastern the band plays the rock and roll part 2 tune, and the crowd goes "Sieve! You suck!". The hockey crowd at Northeastern made it pretty awful to be an opposing goalie at games. After the goal song ended and play began again they would start an "It's all your fault, it's all your fault" chant.

So that's why I kinda like it.

Oh, and I hate the Canes. I went to 1 game in Raleigh because my friend lived in NC at the time. It was the New Years Day game during the peak of our awfulness, right after MacLean got fired. We lost like 6 or 7-3. Heard that god awful goal song so many times it still haunts me haha.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
3 pages in and nobody mentioned whether or not they had ever been in close proximity to Raleigh yet? shocked

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I love "Hey, you suck!". Rock N' Roll Part II is great. I'm glad we're one of the few teams who still use it. Gary Glitter drama be damned. To me, it's part of the Devils identity.

I won't argue against the fact that the song is part of our identity. Every one of us has the vision of fans waving Pom-Poms to CAA's tinny rendition of RRP2 in 1995. And, except for the brief utilizations of Ole and Kernkraft, it has been our goal song for, like, ever? So yeah, it's part of our identity.

But the whole You Suck addend certainly isn't. I remember I was at a Devils/Isles game in November 2008, and that was the first time I heard the You Suck chant. I really don't know how it started, or how it caught on, really. I find it just as embarrassing as Carolina's cartoon audio clips.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad