Post-Game Talk: Canes def. Nucks - 3-2 (Miller x 2)

WHoll win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Most of the third kept thinking - OLD AND SLOW vs YOUNG AND FAST. Not totally true but beginning of the third Canucks were helpless. Team can get nothing off the rush.

Canuck's poor thirds may, in part , be explained by other teams adjusting to how Canucks come out of their zone. Hurricanes moved the defense up to the middle of our zone to cut off passes through the middle and forced the Canucks into trying to force it out along the boards.

Good

Hoglander - one player that had the quickness to force mistakes out of Carolina. Needs to produce more out of his efforts but probably best of forwards

Not Good

Schenn - way too slow. Again reduced to trying to just get puck out. Rarely got beyond the center line in this game.

Horvat - after a couple of good effort again gone AWOL. Accomplished very little other than the assist. In the general run of the play looked agonizingly slow.

OEL - ditto Horvat. Looking very mediocre.

Garland - maybe worst game of the season. Looked lost at times and hasn't really been the same since his benching.

Mikheyev - put in a position to do something but didn't. Needs to bear down on his chances. Has never got in sync with any of his line-mates throughout the season. Both he and Kuzmeko still trying to find their way.

Others

Miller - have to give him credit for scoring but still lugging in his skating and not adequate in his play making.

Rathbone - just shy of having the quickness to pull away from his check and get open ice. Is showing a little more quickness in his puck movement and not taking the extra step with the puck and getting into trouble. Biggest need remains the development of bigger area of coverage in his end and especially around his net. Him and Burroughs were get pushed back in their zone by the Hurricane speed and then having to battle around the front of the net and Rathbone was the main problem here. Yet, think this game was a positive step for Rathbone and he needs to be left in the lineup so he can work on his deficiencies

Brisebois - ok overall. Played it simple and mainly kept out of trouble.

Pearson - looked better playing a bump and grind game on the 4th line. Probably where he should be.

Canucks are about as far from being a contender as a team can be, given the contract situation, the prospect situation and the quality of the present roster, Ugliest of times for any franchise. Any lingering willingness of people to down play the absolute abysmal running of the team during the Benning years is beyond pathetic. Hopefully these people have the marbles to realize how wrong they were.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Hahahahahahahahaah

Ian Macintyre and Boudreau just now in the post game

iMac:
“you guys have been outscored 17-2 in the 3rd period, what needs to change?”

Boudreau:
“I don’t know…. I’m not a psychiatrist”

What kind of answer is that?

This is not on Bruce, the players are being such divas that they can’t finish games strong.

The moral is low, no one will want to go to games…what’s the point? To see them lose?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This team continues to be less than the sum of its parts. That's not going to change

The offense is slow. It needs better passing from the defenders to help break it out offensively to counter that slowness.

The defense is weak defensively and needs forwards to backcheck faster and harder.

The defense can't pass and the forwards can't backcheck. Each magnifies the others weaknesses.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Carolina had a big leg up by having Slavin and Pesce in their system for this core, but it’s remarkable how they have built an elite team by basically doing the opposite of what the Canucks have done since 2014 - don’t be afraid of other teams’ castoffs, don’t overspend in UFA to get players you decide you have to have and let the market come to you instead, run a puck surplus, don’t tie yourself down by locking up players going into their thirties to deals with term, be willing to take on bad contracts to get good players, etc.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Can’t say I have anything meaningful to contribute. Will be a very awkward couple of days off. Will be interesting if Bruce gets fired tomorrow. Means he probably never gets his 600 career win.

Best chance for a win is Thursday and the Kraken are kinda good now. There’s a very real chance this team goes winless in October.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Carolina had a big leg up by having Slavin and Pesce in their system for this core, but it’s remarkable how they have built an elite team by basically doing the opposite of what the Canucks have done since 2014 - don’t be afraid of other teams’ castoffs, don’t overspend in UFA to get players you decide you have to have and let the market come to you instead, run a puck surplus, don’t tie yourself down by locking up players going into their thirties to deals with term, be willing to take on bad contracts to get good players, etc.
It all starts with drafting well (and having lots of picks) in the 2nd/3rd/4th rounds and building a strong defense core.

Canucks have failed at both and here we are.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
This team is so fragmented its unbelievable.

Bruce who was gonna set the lines from the start of camp has a firm hand on the blender now. It's full chaos and I'm actually bewildered by the decisions

You move Kuzmenko a proven scorer down to a 3rd line after leading the team in high danger chances where it's inevitable the dam breaks?

Pettersson gets grabbed by Aho to get open for the goal that sealed their fate? Nice job stripes.

Michayev has no hands. Fast skating checker gets 4.75?

Hoglander is an energy player but has to be the 3rd piece not someone relied to produce.? Pod is still in that mold yet they play with Pettersson expected to be our top line?

Garland on a 3rd line with Kuzmenko and Amen? Like WTF really? oddest choice of the season. 2 small guys who need some size to play with get a 3rd liner from the SEL.?

The defense lol. I mean what can you say? Slow as F, Incompetent at puck support. Myers OEL Schenn firmly playing beer league. Brisebois not even close to a decent NHLer and then Burroughs our best D and Rathbone who at least provided an effort and some spark in his play but is a bit lost by the positioning.

This is getting tough to watch

Last edited:

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Fascinating the Canucks have looked somewhat decent at points in this game, and still only generated 16 shots.
I only watched a few minutes of the game but to me, it looked like a sleepy Tiger (Canes) playing with a German Shepard. The German Shepard barked and attacked a few times but the game was over once the Tiger got serious (i.e. two quick goals at the start of the 3rd).

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
November is going to be ugly, the fan interest is going to be bad and it’ll be run over with the opposing team fanbase. A couple wins in the next few games can right the ship but man oh man it’s being tough to support this team.

Management is out to lunch, players are frustrated and tired. Which now turns our attention to our child abusing owner, his MIA and I swear to god he better have a plan to sell this team. The fans aren’t buying his bullshit anymore…

Reactions: David71

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
All you need to know about this season:

Don’t worry though right? This is totally a winner core. Triple down!

I only watched a few minutes of the game but to me, it looked like a sleepy Tiger (Canes) playing with a German Shepard. The German Shepard barked and attacked a few times but the game was over once the Tiger got serious (i.e. two quick goals at the start of the 3rd).
The ushe

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013

travisgreenthatsareallygoodteamoverthere.mp4

1666679081617.png

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

It's insane how many good pieces they have on the way too, with guys like Kotchetkov, Drury, Morrow, Nikishin, Ponamarev just off the top of my head.

Loved that they didn't shy away from Russian draft picks this past draft as they figured out they could just pick up lots of great talent even though they didn't draft until pick 60.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Amazing what you can do with Actually Good management. A management group essentially run by the Computer Boys.

Their only big miss was KK.

Despite the hockey gods' best efforts to gift-wrap the Canucks a win, and RBA's stupefyingly bad goal challenge, the Canucks crumpled with another listless effort in the third period.

What else is new?

Reactions: Nucker101

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad