Post-Game Talk: Canes def. Nucks - 3-2 (Miller x 2)

WHoll win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I'll be honest I couldn't even watch as have no confidence in them right now. Turned on game and lost interest within 5 they just keep breaking my heart. Until they win a few or make some drastic change I'll just read about them can't watch. 40 years plus been following them but one heartache after another. Please Canucks do something.
fBKoj.gif

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Shame we have an easy schedule coming up. Id love to see the executive managements response if we were 0-10

Reactions: Indiana

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
Carolina had a big leg up by having Slavin and Pesce in their system for this core, but it’s remarkable how they have built an elite team by basically doing the opposite of what the Canucks have done since 2014 - don’t be afraid of other teams’ castoffs, don’t overspend in UFA to get players you decide you have to have and let the market come to you instead, run a puck surplus, don’t tie yourself down by locking up players going into their thirties to deals with term, be willing to take on bad contracts to get good players, etc.
Literally came to post something along these lines. It truly is a tale of 2 teams; Carolina built a core and pretty much fills the holes with good talent acquisitions that are dumps or expected rebound players yearly, rather than trying to build through over priced, career season UFAs, and don't miss a beat. I really questioned their goaltending decision dumping Nedelkjovic, and then their new goalie tandem doesn't miss a beat either

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I had some time to sleep on this loss. All things considered, it was probably the least frustrating loss this season. Carolina is probably the most well-balanced team in the NHL right now (even better than the Avs).

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Literally came to post something along these lines. It truly is a tale of 2 teams; Carolina built a core and pretty much fills the holes with good talent acquisitions that are dumps or expected rebound players yearly, rather than trying to build through over priced, career season UFAs, and don't miss a beat. I really questioned their goaltending decision dumping Nedelkjovic, and then their new goalie tandem doesn't miss a beat either
They play a disciplined system. It foils neutral zone rushes and neatly contains forechecking. Personnel to implement is a big factor, but so is coaching and institutional memory.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I had some time to sleep on this loss. All things considered, it was probably the least frustrating loss this season. Carolina is probably the most well-balanced team in the NHL right now (even better than the Avs).

It's funny you can say that when they got out shot 39-16 and had 3 shots in the third period. The Canucks had a decent end to the 2nd, but Carolina was never at any risk of losing this game.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
This mess is on our current management

They were in place at least season’s trade deadline and gad every opportunity to move Miller for some huge future pieces. They could have moved Pearson and they coupd have moved Brock

They decided to ignore making the team future ready and instead decided to stay the course

Reason? Their own incompetence or FA?

That is to be determined. Bottom line is we are stuck with a current roster that can not win in today’s NHL

So we may as well start the firesale and reload at the draft

We are NOT making the playoffs with this team. Sad but true

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It's funny you can say that when they got out shot 39-16 and had 3 shots in the third period. The Canucks had a decent end to the 2nd, but Carolina was never at any risk of losing this game.
Expectations are really low. We have witnessed this team get outshot for years now and rely on world class goaltending. This team isn't built to carry the play and hasn't been that sort of team since the early 2010's. We are built to give up chances and ample zone times to other teams.

It's like the days where we would go into Detroit or Colorado and not get smoked. All things considered...not the worst result.

Reactions: Indiana and TruGr1t

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Wow, pretty much a lost season before the end of October. I didn't have high hopes for this roster, but didn't expect this.

It's impressive in a way.

Reactions: theguardianII

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Carolina had a big leg up by having Slavin and Pesce in their system for this core, but it’s remarkable how they have built an elite team by basically doing the opposite of what the Canucks have done since 2014 - don’t be afraid of other teams’ castoffs, don’t overspend in UFA to get players you decide you have to have and let the market come to you instead, run a puck surplus, don’t tie yourself down by locking up players going into their thirties to deals with term, be willing to take on bad contracts to get good players, etc.
Seems like even they made a mistake by losing Forsling off of waivers (granted they did have a deep blueline then if I recall).

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Wow, pretty much a lost season before the end of October. I didn't have high hopes for this roster, but didn't expect this.

Reminds me of the Benning days, trying to make the playoffs and still out tanking teams trying to tank.
This is somewhat surprising but I did post the sched was a beech
This is a worse start than last year.

The numbers turned bad real quick to reach 95 pts they need to win,

150 points available they need another 93 to get to 95, that's over 46 wins in 75 games, a .613 points percentage easier to achieve with loser points but that might not be enough points last year better than 99 points was needed. At 100 points the team need to win 2 out of 3 games.

Only well it is only one game

Reactions: Flik and Oyletime

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

yeah, it is an epic fail. truly remarkable given how bad the start of last season was, that this is so much worse.

this is actually three seasons in a row this team has had horrendous starts in which the players do not look mentally or physically ready. almost the same malady each time where they do a lot of offensive buzzing trying to blow teams out but mostly get contained to the perimeter or boxed out/knocked over by other teams. meanwhile they play half assed defence and the other team capitalizes on mistakes.

i have to wonder what a mental toll this takes on the players to be part of this.

Reactions: Flik and Indiana

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
Time to blow this thing up. You can't "retool on the fly" when the group has only known losing their whole careers. It works when you're an aging contender, not an flawed group that's been at the bottom of the standings for eight years.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I know nobody wants to hear this but we had little chance to win this game.

Defense is shit when healthy, but we had 4 guys playing that wouldn't be in the top-6 of a contender, including a 2nd pair AHLer.

Only way this team transitions the puck from defense to offense is through Hughes and when he's out it's a complete mess.

If we weren't on such a terrible streak nobody would think twice about a loss to the Canes. Unfortunately there is the context of our start so far.

It's still depressing and the issues are of course real but I don't see this game as one that should be used to "pile on".

Reactions: lousy and Indiana

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Nowhere to go but up from this team.
You lose 7, you can win 7.

Just one game at a time, no one is walking through those doors to help. It’s all on them to fix it.

Also, f*** Aquilini that child abusing bastard

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Can’t say I have anything meaningful to contribute. Will be a very awkward couple of days off. Will be interesting if Bruce gets fired tomorrow. Means he probably never gets his 600 career win.

Best chance for a win is Thursday and the Kraken are kinda good now. There’s a very real chance this team goes winless in October.
What does that accomplish..?.....2/3 of the D is borderline AHL quality right now..Not the coaches fault that the GM did nothing in the off season to bolster an already suspect D.

Reactions: theguardianII

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
new rule for me in place this season is I won't watch it until they're back to .500 hockey, my time is to limited to be fully invested into a losing hockey team.

There are some excellent hockey players here but they need some good karma, the players need to donate a portion of their salary like the Sedins did.

Reactions: Flik

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What amazes me is how fans still flock to the arena and are passionate enough to throw jerseys on the ice in disgust; or fill up social media and the post-game shows with their complaints. Why?

This team isn't going anywhere. The core has almost no pushback when things start going against them on the ice and the other team ups the intensity level. Hell, even the coach says they're 'mentally weak'.

But I think we're rapidly reaching a tipping point. For the third year in a row, it looks like the Canucks will be cooked by the end of November, with still 24-30 games to sell tickets for.

What this franchise really needs right now is apathy and empty seats. Nothing else will get their attention.

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Nowhere to go but up from this team.
You lose 7, you can win 7.

Just one game at a time, no one is walking through those doors to help. It’s all on them to fix it.

Also, f*** Aquilini that child abusing bastard

Except that a record like that doesn’t even get them into the Playoffs. The hole is becoming so big that I don’t see them getting out of it to make the Playoffs. I hope they lose their next two games and start making some big trades.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
new rule for me in place this season is I won't watch it until they're back to .500 hockey, my time is to limited to be fully invested into a losing hockey team.

There are some excellent hockey players here but they need some good karma, the players need to donate a portion of their salary like the Sedins did.
I bet if they win the next 5 in a row you will start watching…

But you are safe because that won’t happen.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What amazes me is how fans still flock to the arena and are passionate enough to throw jerseys on the ice in disgust; or fill up social media and the post-game shows with their complaints. Why?

This team isn't going anywhere. The core has almost no pushback when things start going against them on the ice and the other team ups the intensity level. Hell, even the coach says they're 'mentally weak'.

But I think we're rapidly reaching a tipping point. For the third year in a row, it looks like the Canucks will be cooked by the end of November, with still 24-30 games to sell tickets for.

What this franchise really needs right now is apathy and empty seats. Nothing else will get their attention.
I hate jersey tossing, and whoever does it should have a lifetime ban in the arena..IMO...Booing and chanting, cussing are completely legit, and sends the right message.

I wholeheartedly agree that Canuck fans deserve better than to see the team put themselves in an insurmountable pit for the 3rd year in a row.

Ticket buying fans have every right to show their ire this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00