Claimed off Waivers: Canes claim Curtis McElhinney

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He is good. We all know he is. I still think the leafs made the right decision though
I don't think they did but that's just me. I like Mcbackup, he can be ugly to watch but is a "gets the job done" sort of goalie. I'd feel a lot better with him as the backup vs Sparks. Hes a great waiver pickup for Carolina as he was for the Leafs and his contract is peanuts.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
un·der·rate
ˌəndə(r)ˈrāt/
verb
past tense: underrated; past participle: underrated
  1. underestimate the extent, value, or importance of (someone or something).
    "a very underrated film"
    synonyms:undervalue, underestimate, underappreciate, do an injustice to, sell short, play down, understate, minimize, diminish, downgrade, trivialize
    "for years the girls' athletic program was underrated"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
    antonyms:exaggerate
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Makes more sense to waive Darling as he won’t get claimed . Or carry 3 goalies since they have cap space

Leafs will take him back on rw entry waivers if he’s there

Same goes for Pickard even though they Have Glass now

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Makes more sense to waive Darling as he won’t get claimed . Or carry 3 goalies since they have cap space

I'm not sure we'd care that much if Mrazek or Darling got claimed as long as McE and the remaining goalie were a solidly average 1A/1B. (Between #11 & #20 best tandem in the NHL)

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I have this mild fear that McBackup ends up being far-and-away the winner of the starting job, but can't carry the workload so we have to still start Darling or Mrazek 50% of the time.

I also think that would be the case. But if so, isn't that still better than Darling and Mrazek getting 100% of the starts? I feel a lot better about our goaltending now than I did 1 week ago.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Ruh? Unless Andersen or Sparks gets hurt, or Sparks is really disappointing, wouldn't that put them in the same position as when they waived McElhinny and Pickard the first time? Needing to either expose Sparks to waivers or carry 3 goalies?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Ruh? Unless Andersen or Sparks gets hurt, or Sparks is really disappointing, wouldn't that put them in the same position as when they waived McElhinny and Pickard the first time? Needing to either expose Sparks to waivers or carry 3 goalies?

Apparently there's a rule where if the Leafs claim him and nobody submits a claim, they can assign him to the minors.

I believe the Leafs have done this in the past.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I also think that would be the case. But if so, isn't that still better than Darling and Mrazek getting 100% of the starts? I feel a lot better about our goaltending now than I did 1 week ago.

Mac is great, I was livid when I found out we dropped him for a guy that looked like Darling in the preseason, it honestly would not surprise me if he ended up being the starter.

I don't know if he is capable of sustaining high level play, but I do know he is capable of it much more recently than Mrazek or Darling, so I'll be cheering him on for sure.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Not surprised he's doing well, in the 32 games he played with the leafs in the past 2 years his save percentage was .924% behind a average defence at best. He should be a good short term fix for the Canes.

Yarborough

This is not a robbery, I swear!
Mar 14, 2015
YYC
If I were the Canes, Darling is the one who would go after last year. Mrazek is a scrambler but he’s a far better option to keep around with McBackup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad