Claimed off Waivers: Canes claim Curtis McElhinney

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Heavy work out? I wonder about what he did.
What did he lose, fat or muscles?
Did he change his eating habits?

Good the Canes took care of him in the offseason, that's how it should be.

What kind of injury does he have now?

It's pretty clear from all the (easily findable, publicly available) sources that it was fat - Darling came in last year at 250 pounds:

After awful year, Scott Darling tries to rise again. Can he save his career – and the Canes?

Bill Burniston, the Hurricanes' strength and conditioning coach, is waiting for Darling, who arrives wearing USA Hockey shorts from his recent stint with the national team at the world championships. A few other athletes are working out, teenaged baseball and hockey players, but it's a holiday week and the cavernous gym is mostly empty. Burniston puts down his coffee and warms up with Darling by playing catch. This isn't part of the program, but Darling has a new baseball glove he's trying to break in.

Soon, he's on the indoor turf field surrounded by four LED lights on stands, set up in a square about 20 feet on a side. Darling has to dance between them, responding as they turn on and off, constantly shuffling and changing direction. Cam Ward, who arrived at the gym shortly after Darling, a day after signing as a free agent to fill Darling's old job as a backup for the Chicago Blackhawks, joins him for some of it.

“A good ankle-breaker,” Darling says.

“If I wanted to break your ankles, I'd do other things,” Burniston says.

“I'm getting turf burn, I'm moving so fast.”

“Your feet are smoking.”

It's the kind of offseason workout NHL players all over the world are doing to get ready for the season, and it's what Darling apparently wasn't doing last summer when he signed a four-year, $16.6 million contract, came in out of shape, struggled in net and became the single most critical factor why the Hurricanes missed the playoffs yet again (although there were several).

Darling hopes fewer pounds lead to more wins for Hurricanes

Less of Scott Darling should mean more of a reason to believe in the Carolina Hurricanes.

The 29-year-old goaltender dropped nearly 30 pounds during the offseason, thanks to a grueling workout regimen and an overhauled diet. He hovers now between 220 and 225 pounds and is leaner, faster, healthier, energetic.

He's also confident he'll eliminate doubts about him, based on his subpar performance last season. He believes he'll be a main reason why the Hurricanes will make the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since 2009 instead of being the reason they won't.
"The way I feel physically, mentally, emotionally, I mean, I just feel great," Darling said. "I feel back to the way I felt my first year in the League, 2014-15, with [the] Chicago [Blackhawks]."

Darling called it a 180-degree turn from last season, when he weighed 250 pounds and was nowhere close to being the goalie the Hurricanes thought they were getting when they signed the former Blackhawks' backup to a four-year, $16.6 million contract (average annual value $4.15 million) to be their No. 1.

Asked to explain what happened, Darling described himself as exhaling after signing with Carolina instead of continuing along the same path that got him to being a multi-million-dollar player in the first place.

"It was like, 'OK, I'm here, it's all going to happen now,' " Darling said. "I didn't train hard last summer. I didn't do pretty much anything. I kind of just relished in getting the contract and getting what was supposed to be the starting job."

Darling credits Jaclyn for changing his eating habits.

"She taught me how to eat healthy and have it taste good," he said. "I didn't know that existed."

He never went grocery shopping last season, always favoring the quick meal out. This summer, he and Jaclyn, who moved to Raleigh full-time after living in Chicago last season, ate almost every meal at home, except for the odd date nights, Darling said.

They made discoveries.

"If you want ranch dressing, you can make healthy ranch dressing," Darling said. "If you want mayonnaise, you can substitute it for vegannaise. Switching from Coke to Coke Zero is a huge thing. Instead of eating regular ice cream, now I eat Halo ice cream.

"I couldn't believe it because I still got to eat ice cream and drink soda and I lost 30 pounds."

He discovered Pilates. He took up boxing.

"Those were some of the hardest workouts I've ever done," he said.

Scott Burnside also did an excellent piece on him at The Athletic where Darling explained he was regularly drinking full sugar sodas and eating McDonalds and they've completely overhauled his diet over the course of 3 months that resulted in the weight loss and and a body fat reduction of 7-8%.

As for the injury it's a lower body injury that wasn't too serious (IIRC an MRI was negative for any ligament damage) - he was never on crutches or braces and took part in some other team activities like a team building ropes course (not sure if he actually went up on the ropes or anything). He was back on the ice today breaking in his new black pads to go with our third jerseys.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I still remember the game in Toronto last year where Mcdavid went super saiyan and we beat the shit out of the Leafs only to be shutout 1-0 by this guy...

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
It's pretty clear from all the (easily findable, publicly available) sources that it was fat - Darling came in last year at 250 pounds:

After awful year, Scott Darling tries to rise again. Can he save his career – and the Canes?

Darling hopes fewer pounds lead to more wins for Hurricanes

Scott Burnside also did an excellent piece on him at The Athletic where Darling explained he was regularly drinking full sugar sodas and eating McDonalds and they've completely overhauled his diet over the course of 3 months that resulted in the weight loss and and a body fat reduction of 7-8%.

As for the injury it's a lower body injury that wasn't too serious (IIRC an MRI was negative for any ligament damage) - he was never on crutches or braces and took part in some other team activities like a team building ropes course (not sure if he actually went up on the ropes or anything). He was back on the ice today breaking in his new black pads to go with our third jerseys.

Thank you very much garnetpalmetto. I'm not a fan of any team. I'm only looking for infos I can easily get about goalies.

I think he mostly lost weight because of changing his eating habits and eating less. In workouts with high activity you burn mostly glycogen and only very little fat. Darling can still improve this.

Losing weight is a big part to get better, same as being calm in net. So it's interesting who will win this season, leight Mrazek or still heavy Darling. Both have shown in the past they can be competitive at certain workloads and McElhinney is in his best years.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Heavy work out? I wonder about what he did.
What did he lose, fat or muscles?
Did he change his eating habits?

Good the Canes took care of him in the offseason, that's how it should be.

What kind of injury does he have now?

Just tweaked a hamstring.

His work out was HIIT and Yoga, and a diet program, where he wasn’t eating out all the time.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Don't want to bum all you Leafs fans out, but McBackup played like McVezina in his first Canes start. Now, I don't expect quite that from him every game, but given his stats over the past 2 years (stats because I didn't see him actually play) I'd guess that he's a bigger favorite to finish out the year in a Canes uniform than either Darling or Mrazek. While it's still too early to be definitive, my early bet is that Darling and McElhinney end up splitting much of the season.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'll give you a 5th for McBackup right now.

The Canes primary issue is goaltending and they just found a guy who is a perfect fit as a steady backup. Amazing that the Leafs let him go given how good he is at what he does. An extra 5-10 wins from McStarter versus what Darling/Mrazek can provide at backup might be the difference in a Playoff spot.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Not like Andersen has been lights out either.

He definitely hasn't, but he's known to be a slow starter, and he has proven himself to be a capable #1. I'm not worried about Andersen. Sparks though? I have zero confidence that he will ever become even an average backup at the NHL level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->