Claimed off Waivers: Canes claim Curtis McElhinney

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
He definitely hasn't, but he's known to be a slow starter, and he has proven himself to be a capable #1. I'm not worried about Andersen. Sparks though? I have zero confidence that he will ever become even an average backup at the NHL level.

In past seasons we start out with multiple Andersen trade threads created by leafs fans after he gets off to a slow start.

A few short weeks later when he’s turned it up we get the “Andersen is a top 5/Andersen is a top 10 goalie” threads on the main board.

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
In past seasons we start out with multiple Andersen trade threads created by leafs fans after he gets off to a slow start.

A few short weeks later when he’s turned it up we get the “Andersen is a top 5/Andersen is a top 10 goalie” threads on the main board.

Yes, and those fans need to stay on their prozac. They should have seen enough of him by now to know that he is neither a sieve nor a top 5/10 goalie.

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Last 3 seasons:

41 Games Played
21-13-2
1,111 Saves
90 Goals Against
1201 Shots Against
2.28 Goals Against Average
0.925 Save Percentage

Glad we tossed him away TBH. Wouldn't want a backup goalie who stops pucks and wins games.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Last 3 seasons:

41 Games Played
21-13-2
1,111 Saves
90 Goals Against
1201 Shots Against
2.28 Goals Against Average
0.925 Save Percentage

Glad we tossed him away TBH. Wouldn't want a backup goalie who stops pucks and wins games.

Man, I typically view you of a pretty level headed poster... but you seem to have some kind of obsessive interest in McE... he's a good back-up... nothing more...

I mean this in the kindest way possible... get over it!! ;)

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
No team is perfect - The Leafs have a backup issue potentially; and no team goes without making errors.

I'd say they can probably fix it.

Let's agree that they're still in a pretty good position to compete for years to come and will eventually sort out their backup issue once they've tackled the Nylander, Defence issue first.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
There’s no chance McBackup clears waivers, so it’s better that make sure they send down the right goalie

Even if he didn't clear waivers, who cares? Carolina was happy going into the season with what they had before they claimed him and I'm sure they'd be happy with what they got if they lost him.

Leaf fans pretending he's some great asset are ridiculous. He's a 35-year old waiver-level back up goalie. Who cares?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Even if he didn't clear waivers, who cares? Carolina was happy going into the season with what they had before they claimed him and I'm sure they'd be happy with what they got if they lost him.

Leaf fans pretending he's some great asset are ridiculous. He's a 35-year old waiver-level back up goalie. Who cares?

No one is saying he’s a great asset.

Simply, you know McBackup will at the very least be reclaimed by Toronto.

Mrazek and Darling aren’t world beaters either.

Carolina has the time and ability to carry 3 goalies and assess them all.

It’s a common thing in business. If you have time, use it.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
No one is saying he’s a great asset.

Simply, you know McBackup will at the very least be reclaimed by Toronto.

Mrazek and Darling aren’t world beaters either.

Carolina has the time and ability to carry 3 goalies and assess them all.

It’s a common thing in business. If you have time, use it.

I'm not certain Toronto would re-claim him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not certain Toronto would re-claim him.

I think they might. Right now if he goes back on waivers and they put in a claim and nobody else does, they can send him to the Marlies without going through waivers again. A good insurance policy.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I think they might. Right now if he goes back on waivers and they put in a claim and nobody else does, they can send him to the Marlies without going through waivers again. A good insurance policy.

Having a 35-year old goaltender on your AHL team isn't a great plan. They would be much better off using the AHL to develop younger talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad