Claimed off Waivers: Canes claim Curtis McElhinney

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Reclaim him, to send him to the Marlies?

doesn't work that way.

If Carolina was to waive him....

Im not sure on sequence of this,,,I think

1, First goes to teams other than Carolina who put claims on him when Caroline did
2. Then Toronto can reclaim him
3. Then other teams who didn't claim him the first time then can claim him.

If Toronto claims him then tries to send him to the AHL he still has to go through waivers again.

teams can easily get by with 13-7-3 roster.

With Mrazek also a UFa after the season they could trade him for a pick then have 2 goalies.

they cant trade McElhinney

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Having a 35-year old goaltender on your AHL team isn't a great plan. They would be much better off using the AHL to develop younger talent.

Not always. The Marlies currently have Jeff Glass as their starting goalie so they aren't developing young talent at that spot. The AHL is, and always has been, littered with older goalies. Currently Montoya, Berube, McCollum, Glass, Wedgewood, Hammond, etc...

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
doesn't work that way.

1, First goes to teams other than Carolina who put claims on him when Caroline did

If Toronto claims him then tries to send him to the AHL he still has to go through waivers again.

With Mrazek also a UFa after the season they could trade him for a pick then have 2 goalies.

I'm fairly certain it doesn't work that way. If Carolina waives him anyone can put in a claim and the priority is based on standings. If Toronto is a team that puts in a claim, is successful and is the ONLY team to put in a claim, they can send him to the minors without going through waivers again.

Most likely, if Toronto puts in a claim and is successful, no other teams will have put in a claim also since Toronto is way down on the priority list based on standings.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
doesn't work that way.

I appreciate the mechanics, and understood them in advance... yet the point stands. Why would the Leafs currently need him, other than to send him to the Marlies.... ?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
We had to dress an ECHL goalie last time Freddie was unavailable. The Marlies starter right now is a journeyman on an AHL-only deal. Acquiring a depth option is closer to a necessity than pointless.

I'm not saying adding depth to the AHL team is pointless. I'm saying adding a 35-year old as that depth is pointless. They should be looking to bring in some younger guys to compete at the AHL level and groom and develop them.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not certain Toronto would re-claim him.
If the Leafs do reclaim him after Carolina puts him on waivers, then as the team that originally waived him, they are allowed to send him straight to the minors without putting him on waivers again. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t do this just for the extra depth.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
If the Leafs do reclaim him after Carolina puts him on waivers, then as the team that originally waived him, they are allowed to send him straight to the minors without putting him on waivers again. I can’t imagine they wouldn’t do this just for the extra depth.

Technically not correct, but practically correct.

The rule is that the Leafs could send him straight to the Marlies provided nobody else puts in a claim. If someone else puts in a claim, but Toronto has priority, then they'd have to send him through waivers to send him down.

Practically though, nobody who is lower in priority (ie..good teams) is likely to put in a claim on him so if the Leafs do, and if they win the claim, they'll be able to send him down.

I "think" the waiver priority is still based on last year's record since it's not NOV 1st (when it goes to this year's standing).

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Having a 35-year old goaltender on your AHL team isn't a great plan. They would be much better off using the AHL to develop younger talent.

Kasimir Kaskisuo is out, potentially until the new year. Our third string goalie is current Eamon McAdam, a guy who was only supposed to be in the ECHL.

We’d claim him, without a doubt.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Kasimir Kaskisuo is out, potentially until the new year. Our third string goalie is current Eamon McAdam, a guy who was only supposed to be in the ECHL.

We’d claim him, without a doubt.

I was unaware KK was out... if that's the case, yes, they should be bringing in someone.

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
If mac goes on waviers LA would probably pick him up or Ottawa. Lots of teams are having injuried goalies or unproven back ups not panning out so far.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Really doubt sparks would get claimed at this point. If he does he’ll be back on the waivers by the end of the year so grabbing him again would be a go for me

LA will probably take him though

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
I dont see Toronto claiming him. It would be the same logjam we had when we waived him. They arent going to waive Sparks at this point

Why not? Anton Forsberg went through? I figure Sparks would as well.

But that's not how waivers work, if the Leafs can claim him, he can be sent to the Minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->