GDT: Canes at Vegas

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think the complete aberration that was the first 5 games skewed expectations for a lot of folks here.

They are not a good team. Accept it. Center depth is shit. Goaltending is shit. Special teams are shit. Those are the 3 most important things on a hockey team and they are bad at all of those.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I think the complete aberration that was the first 5 games skewed expectations for a lot of folks here.
Guilty as charged.

They are not a good team. Accept it. Center depth is ****. Goaltending is ****. Special teams are ****. Those are the 3 most important things on a hockey team and they are bad at all of those.
This truth has smacked me in the face real hard already.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I don't even have it in me to get mad. Just depressed to be back where we always are. Hope they can find some of the early season magic again, but meh.
I think the early season magic was a combo of the other teams being sloppy and the motivation of new coach new team etc... now the other teams have tightened up their games and the motivation has worn off.

The fast and loose ‘system’ they played early in the season only works if everyone is busting their asses and I guess that effort level was unsustainable.

Unfortunately it looks like Rod is reverting to the only system he has known from a coaching perspective (Bill Peters)

Saw a lot of coasting and reaching this game and reguardless of system you are not going to win too many games doing that.

Hopefully they can get something going but they have a lot they need to fix... system, effort, and finish.

Edit: forgot to mention goaltending: need to fix that too. Yikes

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Why is Jaccob Slavin getting a regular shift on the PP again? He's not integral to zone entries. He's not much of a playmaker or even PP QB. His shot from distance is weak. What do Brind'Amour and co. see in him?

I mean, Slavin's been the best defenseman, on both sides of the puck, for the past few weeks.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If we admit we suck. It sort of makes the Hamilton trade worse. I liked the trade at the time because it seemed to make us more immediately competitive by sacrificing some future.
Right now I'm calling it the Lindholm trade as he appears to be best player in the deal. But again, it's early in the season so who really knows.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Even with Hamilton being misused, he has looked pretty unimpressive for most of the season. His skating is pretty bad and he might as well be 5'6'' the way he uses his size (or doesn't use it in this case).

He's also not as offensively gifted as we'd hoped. Like every other defenseman on the team, his decision making with the puck in the offensive zone usually amounts to "Shoot it directly into an opposing blocker"

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
An actual NHL player in return might have helped. Just saying.

Exactly. Trading Skinner was never the issue. He wasn't going to be a good fit in the system RBA wants to play, and we weren't going to pay him what he's going to want when he hits FA. So trading him was the obvious choice.

But we traded him, Lindolm and Hanifin and did nothing to actually improve the team in the process. Didn't acquire a goaltender, nor any offensive talent (still iffy on Ferland). We traded those three to maybe improve our defense? The one aspect of the team that wasn't a huge issue last year?

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I watched the highlights (if they could be called that) and what a letdown. Brind'amour is already losing the team because he has no strategy other than point shot/tip/rebound. That and I guess work out harder than the other team. On one version of the EA NHL game I remember the commentary would start making fun of you if you kept trying the same thing over and over and I find myself thinking those same things watching this team- "that's not going to work- they've taken it away!" They need to bite the bullet and bring in some kind of special teams/strategies coach. I'm sure there's someone willing to do it for cheap and they could have any vague title the braintrust wants to give them.

And of course it's not on darling when the team in front of him doesn't score, but how many games does he need to be below average before the team moves on? His body language is terrible- there's no way skaters on this team feel comfortable with him back there when every time he lets that first one in he completely falls apart. Mrazek and mcbackup aren't considerably better but the idea that they would rotate the 3 until a starter emerged doesn't look likely to happen to me. None of them are starter material.

EDIT to expand on that a little, NHL average sv% was .912 last year and around .915 for the past few years. This season we've had 3 games where a hurricanes goalie hit that mark. Even if you lower the mark to .900 that gets you three extras. So in over half of the games so far this year the goaltending has been below average at best, no matter which goalie is out there. Not sure exactly what point I'm trying to make here other than the goaltending is trash, just like we all knew it would be

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad