GDT: Canes at Vegas

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
As more Carolina games I keep watching, more and more I see that RBA is a rookie coach... He complains of not finding a good offence and PP, yet he plays Svechnikov in the middle aka Holmstrom/Oshie style when the kid is elite at shooting the puck. Why not to try to play him in Ovi/Laine spot and put somebody like Ferland or Zykov in the middle? I can guarantee PP will improve. Can somebody explain me this?

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
If Brind'Amour continues to resist putting Hamilton and Faulk together, creating an actual threat to score from the left half-wall, I think they have to look at Charlotte to see if someone can provide a spark. Carrick is off to a fast start. Bean is available for recall as well; this is about as an ideal of a situation as you'll find to integrate an offensive defenseman in the lineup (3rd pairing minutes next to a strong defensive partner in Pesce.)

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
To me, it comes down to the square pegs and round holes thing. The staff seems to be using name recognition to set positions on the power play, instead of putting players in positions to succeed based on their skills.
  • Somebody has it in their heads that Slavin is a better offensive player than he actually is. He's got nice 1-on-1 moves and some nifty hands in close, but those skills aren't particularly useful as a power-play point man. To be honest, he doesn't belong on a power play at all.
  • I get that Staal is a horse. I get that he does more for this team than pretty much anybody, and is probably -- outside of Aho -- our MVP. The power play, however, is the place for skill guys to have room to make skill plays. Staal is not a skill guy.
  • Don't get me started about Williams. I'm not giving up on the guy, but he's closer to healthy scratch territory than first unit power play, right now.
  • Svech is being treated like Zykov, a net-front presence, when he's shown us that's not the player he is. If I've been pleasantly surprised by anything this season, it's how good a passer Svech is. He showed us in the preseason, but we decided to ignore that for some reason and treat him like a shooter.
  • Hamilton is not a true power play quarterback, like Faulk. He's more of a rover.
With those facts in mind, I'd like to see a first unit that includes: Hamilton (umbrella, rover), Aho (halfboards, umbrella), Svechnikov (umbrella), Ferland (deep slot), Zykov (goalline, netfront).

The second would be: Faulk (qb, point, umbrella), TT (halfboards, umbrella), Slavin/Wallmark/Rask (when healthy) (umbrella), Staal (deep slot), Williams (goalline, netfront).

If you want to swap Svech/Faulk to try to put the twin blasters together on the first unit, I'm OK with that, but I'd like to see Svech passing to people who can put the puck in the net (i.e. Ferland, Aho and Zykov) and I'd hate to see a second unit led by TT the way he's playing right now.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
1st unit - Faulk (left half wall) , Hamilton (center point), Aho (right half wall), Teravainen (below the goal line), Zykov (slot/net-front)

This set-up allows for one-timers going from Aho to Hamilton, Hamilton to Aho, Hamilton to Faulk and Aho to Faulk through the box (EDIT: forgot Faulk to Aho through the box.) Zykov is planted in front of the net. If the PK cheats up high, send it down to Teravainen looking for the Kuznetsov-Oshie play to Zykov in the slot.

2nd unit - Pesce (left half wall), Hamilton (center point), Svechnikov (right half wall), Williams (below the goal line), Ferland (slot/net-front)

Same play set as the 1st unit. Pesce isn't ideal, but he won't be afraid to try to put the puck on net from that spot.

Play Hamilton the full 2 minutes. Slavin - van Riemsdyk for the 1st shift after the PP. Then reset with de Haan - Faulk.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Waddell's response was the diplomatic way of saying Aho is asking for more money than they're willing to pay right now.

That's fair. If he's looking for a Tarasenko or even Draisaitl-type contract ($8.5-$9 mil adjusted for inflation), wanting a larger sample size to draw from is reasonable. He's probably not going to sustain this type of pace over the full season. When the regression comes, does he average down to a 70 point-type player or is he a point per game-type player?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

"We own his rights for four years, so it's not like he's going to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year, so time is on our side, on both sides. They realize that, too. There's no hurry to get something done. We've had great meetings, and Sebastian has sat in on some of them. They've been very cordial. It's just a matter of trying to figure out what the value is for this type of player moving forward."

The red hints at the price tag being up in the air still, but the blue acknowledges that no pending RFA isn't signing anything until Nylander gets resolved. Which is why the price tag is up in the air still.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
"We own his rights for four years, so it's not like he's going to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year, so time is on our side, on both sides. They realize that, too. There's no hurry to get something done. We've had great meetings, and Sebastian has sat in on some of them. They've been very cordial. It's just a matter of trying to figure out what the value is for this type of player moving forward."

The red hints at the price tag being up in the air still, but the blue acknowledges that no pending RFA isn't signing anything until Nylander gets resolved. Which is why the price tag is up in the air still.

IIRC Aho's agent is a small one, his other main client is Sami Vatanen. It makes a lot of sense that he would want to wait for Nylander's deal as a direct comparable.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
IIRC Aho's agent is a small one, his other main client is Sami Vatanen. It makes a lot of sense that he would want to wait for Nylander's deal as a direct comparable.
They all are waiting no matter who's the agent. There's Matthews, Laine, Marner, a whole generation of pending RFAs with whom nothing will happen until Will happen.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Anything more than 7 and I think he's overpaid, and he'd have to play pretty well the whole time for me to not be annoyed at the 7 to be honest. I like him but we suck at offense, he's the best guy in a crap group. Nylander would likely be our most dangerous guy if we got him. I love Aho, but he's a big fish in a small pond here. It's easy to over rate him a bit. I'm still not convinced he's a center.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I love Aho but as of now there's no way he worth 9 M per year. Pastrnak contract was good but i doubt we lock him for 6.7 at year. Maybe 7-7.5 but 9 in insanity.

Don’t take that opinion to the mainboard - Aho recently trounced Marner in a poll and the mainboard is adamant Mitch will get 10. That puts Aho in the 11-12 range.

The salary estimations are crazy over there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad