Proposal: Candidates for 3rd line winger role

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
What was shocking in the Stepan trade is that the 2nd round pick wasn't coming our way, that's all

Stepan was a cap dump with his 6.5 AAV

EqN6iiJW4AApLbe

The following year, the same Coyotes got a 2nd and a 7th for taking a 4.5 AAV Gostisbehere (2 years though), who was a better player IMO and much closer to be worth his cap hit

Yes I accepted this as it was necessary for our 2023-24 cap situation anyway, Paul and Brown would have been costly going forward. It looks like our cap will be very tight next season. But thankfully, we should not be in cap hell after that. Once the dead money expires, it will also help

Stefan was a complete waste of a roster spot and failed to deliver anything of value.
I would agree. Stepan was a waste of a 2nd round pick and didn't amount to, or do anything while here. He didn't even want to be here as it turns out. If you follow hockey, you knew he was declining and at the cusp or twilight of his career the last year or so when he played for the Yotes.

He was a cap dump and the asset should have come from the Yotes to us to get rid of a player the Yotes didn't want or need. After leaving us, he played on the 4th line and was a scratch in the Canes lineup. Not even sure if he's going to play this year. People try too hard to rationalize that this was a good signing.

Reactions: NyQuil and Cosmix

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not sure anyone has said it was a good signing in retrospect, not even Pierre.

In theory he fit with what we were trying to do at the time, but Stepan was a swing and a miss, they happen.

It’s old news now I should think.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I would agree. Stepan was a waste of a 2nd round pick and didn't amount to, or do anything while here. He didn't even want to be here as it turns out. If you follow hockey, you knew he was declining and at the cusp or twilight of his career the last year or so when he played for the Yotes.

He was a cap dump and the asset should have come from the Yotes to us to get rid of a player the Yotes didn't want or need. After leaving us, he played on the 4th line and was a scratch in the Canes lineup. Not even sure if he's going to play this year. People try too hard to rationalize that this was a good signing.

It was a baffling move when it happened, no other way around it. Sometimes I really felt that the Sens PRO SCOUTING was the staff teenager kids watching some old tapes from 2 years prior. The same thing happened with Boedker, he was a decent player too years prior to acquire him. Same with Burrows, he didn't have much left in the tank. We could keep going

Hopefully we won't make any of these mistakes anymore. It's crucial when you hope to contend with the best. So little margin for error.

Reactions: Cosmix

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Am I wrong or did Formenton drop off the face of the earth? No interviews, or quotes from him or his agent? No info if he is training or where. It’s like the media is going out of its way to talk about him. Hmm.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Not sure anyone has said it was a good signing in retrospect, not even Pierre.

In theory he fit with what we were trying to do at the time, but Stepan was a swing and a miss, they happen.

It’s old news now I should think.
It was another PD brainfart!

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If we're in the race for the playoffs by January/February, and Formenton is not on the roster (either still holding out, result from the HC investigation, or traded), I'd seriously consider Jonathan Toews.

We're one of the few teams that could absorb his cap hit, I think he'd be happy to come here if we're in the mix, he could slot in nicely at LW while providing support on faceoffs and adding more injury insurance should a C get hurt, and would be another veteran leader for Stützle/Norris/Pinto.

Toews - Pinto - Joseph

Pinto and Toews could alternate face-off duties based on which side of the ice they're on.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2