Proposal: Candidates for 3rd line winger role

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There is no chance Brown has negative value.

You want Kerfoot but are happy to give up Brown? I am confused.

It's really too bad Formenton is not playing. Hopefully the situation is resolved and they can sign him asap. If not then Motte appears to be the replacement. It's too bad they don't have Brown incase Formenton isn't playing
Ideally I want Formenton back. Kerfoot costs 3..25M less than Brown. In a vacuum I’d have kept Brown but there is a budget to which we must adhere.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
A sweetner? Are you fu**ed?
Why don’t you point out which teams who aren’t trying to lose, MTL, Chi, Ari, have the cap space for a 1 year rental and have the need. The field is incredibly thin.

The only 3 teams that MAYBE could have interest, space and need are Winnipeg, Minnesota and Anaheim.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We know we aren’t spending 81M unless we have a guarantee of 41 sellouts as per Dorion. It’s been stated by Leblanc and Dorion that there is an internal budget.
Yes, I heard what Dorion said about this subject. I don't think or recall hearing anyone from the organization giving our specific cap number though which is what I stated in my post. I've said a few times that we can't assume that the Senators will spend to the cap ceiling. That's why I find some of the posts about additions/trades/whatever a little perplexing.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Why don’t you point out which teams who aren’t trying to lose, MTL, Chi, Ari, have the cap space for a 1 year rental and have the need. The field is incredibly thin.

The only 3 teams that MAYBE could have interest, space and need are Winnipeg, Minnesota and Anaheim.
I wonder if the Ducks made a pitch for Brown. They're still rebuilding, but Brown would have been perfect for them. A stop gap to push down incoming prospects and play hard minutes just like Klingberg, and then flip them for assets. Lets the players get an opportunity to play in a contract year and lets the organization develop their prospects

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I wonder if the Ducks made a pitch for Brown. They're still rebuilding, but Brown would have been perfect for them. A stop gap to push down incoming prospects and play hard minutes just like Klingberg, and then flip them for assets. Lets the players get an opportunity to play in a contract year and lets the organization develop their prospects
I think they would take possibly take him for future considerations but I don’t see any way they give up anything.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I think they would take possibly take him for future considerations but I don’t see any way they give up anything.
In no way would Brown, a legit two way winger that can play throughout the line up cost only future considerations. You're highly undervaluing him. If the Caps, who have a worse cap situation than the Ducks give up only a 2nd, how on earth would the Ducks only have to give up future considerations?

Reactions: Xspyrit and bert

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Cap space is irrelevant as we have an estimated 4M in real dollars left under the rumoured budget. That’s Connor Brown.

Formenton needs to be signed and Dorion still wants to add a D.
Dorion has said a few things but I don't always believe what he says.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
In no way would Brown, a legit two way winger that can play throughout the line up cost only future considerations. You're highly undervaluing him. If the Caps, who have a worse cap situation than the Ducks give up only a 2nd, how on earth would the Ducks only have to give up future considerations?
Why would the Ducks give up an asset for a 1 year rental in a development year. Terrible asset management for them.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Why would the Ducks give up an asset for a 1 year rental in a development year. Terrible asset management for them.
Because the Ducks just lot a two way veteran presence in Getzlaf's retirement, have a lack of established top 6 forwards, and they have the cap room to extend someone like Brown.

Teams trade for one year stop gaps all the time. We did it with Gudbranson, Rielly, Hainsey, etc...

To say Brown would net us only future considerations isn't realistic.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why did we give up a 2nd for Stepan in a development year?

Bad teams will take a guy like Brown knowing that they can flip him at the deadline to a contender. So, for example if the ducks were to bring in Brown to help shelter their kids while providing some leadership, what kind of asset do you think they could get back for him in late Feb when the put him on the market with 50% retention?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Bad teams will take a guy like Brown knowing that they can flip him at the deadline to a contender. So, for example if the ducks were to bring in Brown to help shelter their kids while providing some leadership, what kind of asset do you think they could get back for him in late Feb when the put him on the market with 50% retention?
Well Anaheim has Terry, Vatrano and Sifverberg on the right side with Perreault likely to be eased in. Not sure how much additional insulation they need at RW.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well Anaheim has Terry, Vatrano and Sifverberg on the right side with Perreault likely to be eased in. Not sure how much additional insulation they need at RW.
I believe both Silf and Vatrano have played both sides over the years (Vatrano in particular), you're right that LW is more of a need but they could definitely make it work with Brown, wingers playing their offside is far from rare,

If the issue though is asset management as you alluded to, they can certainly recoup any asset they spend to acquire C.Brown and likely then some at the deadline by retaining, assuming of course he doesn't get hurt

Edit:. The overall point though is it doesn't need to be a contender that trades for him, a bad team can bring him in to help insulate then move him at a premium at the deadline by retaining 50%

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well, so far Motte has shown amazing chemistry with Pinto, going to be hard for anybody to beat him out for it.
Unless Formenton is signed and Motte slides down. I think there is likely always going to be at least 1 injury in the top 9 so I doubt either plays 4th line minutes but if they do its going to be Motte. He isnt as good a player. I like him dont get me wrong but Formenton has one full NHL season and has double the goals Motte has ever had in a year. Formenton is now 6'3 200 pounds and a top 3 fastest skater alive. He played NHL games at 18, made team Canada WJC at 18 and had 27 goals in 61 games as a 20 year old in the AHL. This is a player with very good pedigree and looks to be a very very good NHL player.

I know everyone is excited about the offseason but this is a very valuable asset to not be in the lineup. This team needs him.

Browns way better than any of those guys except for Terry. This hill you are dying on to say Brown has negative value is very strange. He was literally just traded for a 2nd round pick. He is a very valuable two way player, without a flat cap he is returning a 1st. If he is a deadline deal he is a 1st plus. I dont get why you are doing this but its not aligned with your usual strong analysis.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Unless Formenton is signed and Motte slides down. I think there is likely always going to be at least 1 injury in the top 9 so I doubt either plays 4th line minutes but if they do its going to be Motte. He isnt as good a player. I like him dont get me wrong but Formenton has one full NHL season and has double the goals Motte has ever had in a year. Formenton is now 6'3 200 pounds and a top 3 fastest skater alive. He played NHL games at 18, made team Canada WJC at 18 and had 27 goals in 61 games as a 20 year old in the AHL. This is a player with very good pedigree and looks to be a very very good NHL player.

I know everyone is excited about the offseason but this is a very valuable asset to not be in the lineup. This team needs him.

Browns way better than any of those guys except for Terry. This hill you are dying on to say Brown has negative value is very strange. He was literally just traded for a 2nd round pick. He is a very valuable two way player, without a flat cap he is returning a 1st. If he is a deadline deal he is a 1st plus. I dont get why you are doing this but its not aligned with your usual strong analysis.
Trade deadline he is worth a 1st easily. My position simply goes back to the day of the trade where everyone was saying we should hang on to him until training camp as insurance. Trade values are at their very lowest just before the season starts as cap is used and rosters are set. If the Leafs tried to move Kerfoot today I’m doubtful he would get much more than a late pick and that’s only because he is making 750K this season. I like Brown and think he has really good value in a vacuum.

Reactions: bert

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK

A question a lot of people are still asking...rhetorically.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Trade deadline he is worth a 1st easily. My position simply goes back to the day of the trade where everyone was saying we should hang on to him until training camp as insurance. Trade values are at their very lowest just before the season starts as cap is used and rosters are set. If the Leafs tried to move Kerfoot today I’m doubtful he would get much more than a late pick and that’s only because he is making 750K this season. I like Brown and think he has really good value in a vacuum.
We literally acquired guys to round out the roster as serviceable everyday players prior to the seasons starting (Gudbranson, Murray, etc...) and teams do it all the time.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We literally acquired guys to round out the roster as serviceable everyday players prior to the seasons starting (Gudbranson, Murray, etc...) and teams do it all the time.
SMH. The league wide cap crunch is at its worst point. There are only 9 teams with 3M in cap space including us. Dallas still needs to sign Robertson so that leaves 7 teams.

Winnipeg, Minnesota, Chicago, Detroit, Anaheim, Arizona and Buffalo.

It’s going to be worse next year.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Vatrano is probably an off-the-radar type of player for some. Not saying he's better than Brown, but he does have a good shot (especially wrister). He's probably underrated by folks.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Ottawa already has a number of players who can fill in on the 3rd line especially if they re-sign Formenton asap. Formenton - Pinto - Joseph should be a very good 3rd line with a little bit of everything including amazing speed, size, defensive responsibility & some offence. Formenton had 32 pts last yr & could hit 40 pts easily with Pinto at centre. In his 17 NHL games & again last night Pinto shows us glimpses of how good a centre he can be & the potential offence he can bring, IMO he has 2nd line or top line potential at centre.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
What if he was just one of the ones who witnessed it and didn’t do anything to stop it?
As the story has been described by the victim, it would be understandably difficult to know whether something was as happening that should be stopped if you just popped in, saw what was going on, and left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad