Proposal: Candidates for 3rd line winger role

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
We look a bit foolish in trading Brown prematurely now without having acquired the top 4 we needed and now with Formenton situation unravelling.

This was my complaint when the Brown trade happened. I never understood the rush to trade Brown when the TC scandal was already made known. Formenton and Batherson were always potential culprits

Good example of my main critic about Dorion, it's like he never foresees anything happening

Anyway, now I'm all for giving up the spot to Crookshank. AHL for Greig as he's injured anyway

Crookshank - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Kastelic - Motte (battlefield 4th line)
Watson

Injury in the top-6 : call up Greig, Lodin, Jarventie or Sokolov
Injury on the 3rd line : Motte goes on the 3rd line, Watson draws in on the 4th line
Injury on the 4th line : Watson draws in

Gambrell to the AHL (lack of foresight here too)

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm fine with someone like Motte getting some ice time as a 3rd line winger. I've warmed up to his signing since he's very good defensively and even if we don't have a scoring 3rd line, having a shut down line is important. Pinto, Joseph and Motte are all defensively sound and with a guy like Motte covering, Pinto might be able to have some more freedom with the puck.

If not Motte, I'm fine to give Kelly a chance since he never takes a night off. A 4th line of Watson Gambrell/Kastelic Motte is fine with me. If we ever find out if Kelly is going to be more than a bottom 6 guy, why not try him at 3rd line winger for a few games.

Reactions: Cosmix

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Formenton not being there right now, would seem to mean that even if he signs right now, he will probably still miss the first week or so of the regular season. He'll need to get up to speed, and the mantra from the organization is that they want everyone ready to go full bore on opening night.

I've stopped worrying about Formenton already and be happy watching this exciting roster this year. If he returns and plays well even better.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This was my complaint when the Brown trade happened. I never understood the rush to trade Brown when the TC scandal was already made known. Formenton and Batherson were always potential culprits

Good example of my main critic about Dorion, it's like he never foresees anything happening

Anyway, now I'm all for giving up the spot to Crookshank. AHL for Greig as he's injured anyway

Watson

Injury on the 3rd line : Motte goes on the 3rd line, Watson draws in on the 4th line

If Brown was still here we would not be able to sign Formenton. Trading Brown today would likely require a small sweetener.

Reactions: TheNewEra

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Watson

Gambrell should be our 13th F in my opinion. We don’t have much if any centre depth beyond the top 4 + Gambrell.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Gambrell should be our 13th F in my opinion. We don’t have much if any centre depth beyond the top 4 + Gambrell.

Insurance policy in case we get hit hard by forward injuries again. At least you can throw Gambrell out there and he won't hurt you. It's not my money so I don't care that much in the end

If Brown was still here we would not be able to sign Formenton. Trading Brown today would likely require a small sweetener.

Sweetener as in Connor Brown would be a CAP DUMP? Sorry but I will never agree on that.

And you're also not forced to trade a player in a particular moment in time. We still have close to 6 M$ in cap space right now

I don't liquidate my assets because the market has gone cold! That's the worst thing to do.

And we don't even know yet if we really want to sign Formenton or not.

Reactions: Dionysus and Boud

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Insurance policy in case we get hit hard by forward injuries again. At least you can throw Gambrell out there and he won't hurt you. It's not my money so I don't care that much in the end

Sweetener as in Connor Brown would be a CAP DUMP? Sorry but I will never agree on that.

And you're also not forced to trade a player in a particular moment in time. We still have close to 6 M$ in cap space right now

I don't liquidate my assets because the market has gone cold! That's the worst thing to do.

And we don't even know yet if we really want to sign Formenton or not.
Cap space is irrelevant as we have an estimated 4M in real dollars left under the rumoured budget. That’s Connor Brown.

Formenton needs to be signed and Dorion still wants to add a D.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Cap space is irrelevant as we have an estimated 4M in real dollars left under the rumoured budget. That’s Connor Brown.

Formenton needs to be signed and Dorion still wants to add a D.
This 'rumoured' budget is so overstated. If we have money to sacquire DeBrincat who has a salary that is $3m million more than his cap hit and buy out Bobby Ryan, MDZ, and White, we have the money to keep Brown. Until there is considerable evidence of an internal budget with an exact number, its far too relied upon to justify why we aren't spending in point A, when spending on point B is happening.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This 'rumoured' budget is so overstated. If we have money to sacquire DeBrincat who has a salary that is $3m million more than his cap hit and buy out Bobby Ryan, MDZ, and White, we have the money to keep Brown. Until there is considerable evidence of an internal budget with an exact number, its far too relied upon to justify why we aren't spending in point A, when spending on point B is happening.
I mean, we can all choose to believe what we want.

We don't actually have too much cap space right now. Brown on the books, along with Formy, doesn't leave much left, if any for help on D should we want/need it.

It's besides the point because the player wanted out during his contract year rather than toil on the third line here, and we granted his wish, because PD is a good dude. He indicated that he wasn't going to extend here, and we don't have room to extend him anyways.

It would have sucked to watch a frustrated Brown have to play his last big contract year in a stifled role after how much heart he showed here over the last few years.This squad is filled to the brim with excited players, we don't need Brown of all people not happy with his situation.

Sometimes you do the right thing by players because they're people. We got a second round pick with no retention, we signed Motte to cover the defensive loss, and now we move on.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We have $5.7 m of cap space right now. If we sign Chychrun, there would be $900 k remaining for Formenton. If we sign Formenton at the AAV that it will realistically take, where's the cap space for Chychrun this year?

Pretty much the same phenomena at work next year (2023-24). We have $22.6 m of projected cap space, but we will need to sign 11 players (at least, to get to a 22 man roster).

The following players will need contracts:
  1. Debrincat
  2. Zub
  3. Talbot, or another goalie
  4. Pinto
You got to figure that getting those 4 players signed will eat a big chunk of the $22.6 m of remaining cap space. Any player with a contract that expires at the end of this year has already been factored (subtracted) into the projected cap space number. That's how CapFriendly's "projected cap space" works (see link). Yes, the cap might go up a bit more, and we hope to get rid of Zaitsev. That hardly puts us into "blank cheque" territory though.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
After watching JBD on Saturday he looks much better & could be close to NHL ready. Maybe we don't need to trade for Chychrun unless they want to move Formenton. Hamonic is a decent right shot defenceman & although he is a UFA JBD might be ready at some point this season or next to replace him as Sanderson's partner. JBD plays a very steady defensive game not unlike Zub which would allow Sanderson to join the attack or carry it himself which is what I think we all want to see.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Well, we are $5.7 m under the cap ceiling now. Those are hard numbers versus a rumour. Yes, we still have to sign Formenton.

Nobody really knows what the owners want to spend. Everyone is just guessing when it comes to this subject. But, actions speak louder than words and hard numbers are hard numbers. Let's see if there's any further developments.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
If we're all incorrect and he is cleared, then yes. If he's involved and suspended he needs to be suspended then cut. I don't want someone like that on my team. So far the only team and fanbase that has endorsed and accepted a proven sex offender is Montreal with Mailloux, which I find bizarre.
Do you feel the same way if Batherson ends up being involved?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well, we are $5.7 m under the cap ceiling now. Those are hard numbers versus a rumour. Yes, we still have to sign Formenton.

Nobody really knows what the owners want to spend. Everyone is just guessing when it comes to this subject. But, actions speak louder than words and hard numbers are hard numbers. Let's see if there's any further developments.
We know we aren’t spending 81M unless we have a guarantee of 41 sellouts as per Dorion. It’s been stated by Leblanc and Dorion that there is an internal budget.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If we can’t get Formenton signed Kerfoot wouldn’t be a bad option once the Leafs are forced to move him.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There is no chance Brown has negative value.

If we can’t get Formenton signed Kerfoot wouldn’t be a bad option once the Leafs are forced to move him.
You want Kerfoot but are happy to give up Brown? I am confused.

It's really too bad Formenton is not playing. Hopefully the situation is resolved and they can sign him asap. If not then Motte appears to be the replacement. It's too bad they don't have Brown incase Formenton isn't playing

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad