Confirmed with Link: Canadiens Will Pick 5th (Hughes Presser in OP) NO POLITICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
You might not.. but I can guarantee you this board will absolutely hold it against them.

"f***ing idiots burned a 5th OA in a deep draft on a player we all knew wasn't coming over!"
The player himself has said he's coming over. He's made his way to the draft. This mindboggling scenario of him not coming over needs to die.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Is Dvorsky right there? Where is the tier drop off and how steep is it once the likes of Dvorsky become an option?
posted yesterday, results from bob’s poll. They were split on who should be #6.
We can view it a different way:

2OA: Fantilli (9), Michkov (1)
3OA: Carlsson (7), Fantilli (1), Smith (1), Michkov (1)
4OA: Smith (6), Michkov (3), Carlsson (1)
5OA: Michkov (5), Smith (3), Carlsson (2)
6OA: Leonard (5), Dvorsky (5)
7OA: Reinbacher (multiple)

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
No need to quit HF if Columbus takes Michkov. A team is allowed to change their mind after doing a full analysis.

But highly, highly unlikely Columbus doesn't take Fantilli, Carlsson, or Smith - like less than 1%
If I'm Kent Hughes and I want Michkov, here is what I'd do to increase the odds of being able to draft him.

Here me out.

I think at #2 Anaheim is getting Fantilli. I could be wrong here and that is the "x" factor. If Anaheim picks Michkov, then I don't think they'd be willing to trade down anyways.

At #3 I'm 95% sure Columbus picks one of the centers left (Carlsson or Smith), because Davidson said they will draft a center, most probably Carlsson

#4 is the wild card with San Jose. They certainly could be interested in Michkov or the remaining center remaining, probably Smith.

So, in the weeks going into the draft, I'd make everyone believe there is no way Montreal wants Michkov, sending rumors everywhere in the media about team's management being scared of characters issues, Russia, etc. I'd try to be as neutral as possible in my rare public talks. I'd also put a BIG EMPHASIS on my previous relationship with Smith, his family, etc. because I know there are good odds of him being available with Michkov at #4 (like Hughes did at the combine).

On draft day I'd call Mike Grier and tell him "If my player is still available at #4, I offer you #5 + #31 for your #4"... Hoping he falls for it and think I'm going for Smith since I think there are good odds SJ wants Michkov as well. If I'm wrong, they say no when Smith is still there and they draft Smith and I get Michkov at #5 for free.

If I am right though, I get to pick Michkov at #4 only spending a late 1st to ensure I can do it.

Checkmark this post.

If Hughes trades up and draft Michkov, I want to be quoted for eternity! Haha

Reactions: HabbyGuy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If I'm Kent Hughes and I want Michkov, here is what I'd do to increase the odds of being able to draft him.

Here me out.

I think at #2 Anaheim is getting Fantilli. I could be wrong here and that is the "x" factor. If Anaheim picks Michkov, then I don't think they'd be willing to trade down anyways.

At #3 I'm 95% sure Columbus picks one of the centers left (Carlsson or Smith), because Davidson said they will draft a center, most probably Carlsson

#4 is the wild card with San Jose. They certainly could be interested in Michkov or the remaining center remaining, probably Smith.

So, in the weeks going into the draft, I'd make everyone believe there is no way Montreal wants Michkov, sendinf rumors everywhere in the media about team's management being scared of characters issues, Russia, etc. I'd try to be as neutral as possible in my rare public talks. I'd also put a BIG EMPHASIS on my previous relationship with Smith, his family, etc. because I know there are good odds of him being available with Michkov at #4 (like Hughes did at the combine).

On draft day I'd call Mike Grier and tell him "If my player is still available at #4, I offer you #5 + #31 for your #4"... Hoping he falls for it and think I'm going for Smith since I think there are good odds SJ wants Michkov as well. If I'm wrong, they say no when Smith is still there and they draft Smith and I get Michkov at #5 for free.

If I am right though, I get to pick Michkov at #4 only spending a late 1st to ensure I can do it.

Checkmark this post.

I would love to get Michkov...

Elliot Friedman recently recalled a conversation he had with then Toronto Raptors GM Isiah Thomas at draft time. Isiah Thomas told him: at this time of year, everybody lies.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I would love to get Michkov...

Elliot Friedman recently recalled a conversation he had with then Toronto Raptors GM at draft time. Isiah Thomas told him: at this time of year, everybody lies.
Yes.

I don't trust ANYTHING about everything that is currently *leaked* in the media about the draft.

You can bet Washington picks Michkov at #8 if he's there even if their Russia scout went public about his character issues before the draft.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Here me out.

So, in the weeks going into the draft, I'd make everyone believe there is no way Montreal wants Michkov, sending rumors everywhere in the media about team's management being scared of characters issues, Russia, etc. I'd try to be as neutral as possible in my rare public talks. I'd also put a BIG EMPHASIS on my previous relationship with Smith, his family, etc. because I know there are good odds of him being available with Michkov at #4 (like Hughes did at the combine).

Checkmark this post.

I think he’d feed the rumour mill of worry and hope nobody leapfrogs him by making a deal with SJ. Perhaps Philly or Wash. make others believe Michkov will fall to 6 at least.

In this scenario, he wants Michkov most but is happy with Smith … so no need for the trade. They get one of the top 5.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Its interesting that all of HFBoards non-Habs fans desperately want the Habs to pass on Michkov. Creating conspiracy theories and sowing seeds of doubt as to why the Habs would pass.

I get the feeling that Michkov is the prize of the draft and could go as early as 3OA.
There is rumor that Anaheim may choose Michkov.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Time to go full Belichick?

- Trade down from #5 to 6 - Arizona takes Reinbacher 5th
- Trade down again from #6 to 8 - Washington takes Michkov 6th
- Philly takes Leonard or Dvorsky 7th
- Montreal takes Leonard or Dvorsky 8th

Reactions: sampollock

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018

Why stop there. Keep trading down until you get Strbak, the pound for pound best player in the draft.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Say the Caps come asking for the 5th overall for their 8th overall...what would they need to add?

I would say another first or equivalant. Maybe do a 3 way trade with another team who's in the top 10 Draft

The only way mtl should trade down is to get 2 top 10 picks somehow.

Otherwise whats the point?

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I think most would consider Pavelski with pretty much the same reverence as they would a PPG player. Much like Patrice Bergeron.

“PPG” is a placeholder for ‘elite forward’. Elite forwards produce, they are generally good playmakers (more commonly — goal scorers go through dry patches, playmakers tend not to), and they are consistently reliable.

Smith was The Guy on their line. It is clear as day. He was the one who made the killer plays and he was the one who opponents game-planned against.

Michkov is in the same mold.

I think it’s rather obvious which sort of player would benefit the Habs more and more quickly end the rebuild era.
You're really selling Perrault short. :naughty:

In all seriousness, all three on that line are terrific talents and they each bring their own strengths to the table. Smith has some warts though that he'll need to correct. Time will tell how much each of them develops.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
There is rumor that Anaheim may choose Michkov.
This came from Jeff Marek saying that Ducks GM Pat Verbeek graduated from the Yzerman GM school where they don't give a rat's ass about consensus and then noted the Seider pick. He was just stating that Verbeek would take Michkov if he thought he was the best pick and wouldn't care about what anyone else thinks. He has no insight into what Verbeek's thinking.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Was listening in the NHL network last week about the upcoming draft. Somebody from eliteprospects was on and gave opinions.

Had Mitch at 4. Said that he’s had a disappointing year after getting creamed early on by Emelin. Year before he was neck and neck with Bedard. Questions about his all around game.

He had Smith at 8. No denying the talent but questioned his heart. Said he’s not the kind of guy who’s going to pull you through the playoffs…

Had Dvorski 5th…

Reactions: Rapala and Redux91

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
fwiw leonard and michkov now co favourites for the pick on bet 365. Leonard’s odds have jumped a lot today.
If his odds jumped significantly it means 1 of 2 things:

1 - there was a leak
2 - the majority of bets taken were on the previous favorite (Michkov)

I actually covered a couple of drafts as a line manager for Sports Interaction, most notable one was the Dach draft, when it leaked that Hawks were taking him at 3 we took in the 6 digits in 3 minutes. Insanity

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Michkov is learning French :laugh:

7F3AC0DF-5818-4E0A-9F75-641F51932F0E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad