Confirmed with Link: Canadiens Will Pick 5th (Hughes Presser in OP) NO POLITICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Swinging for a prospect like Michkov is much more forgivable than purposefully skipping him and seeing him thrive elsewhere. It's not even debateable.
That's my position as well. And I'll keep repeating, if they pass on MM to take Reinbacher, you are going to wait 3 years or more before he is more than a jersey filler given the development curve on defense. I'll wait three years if the end of the rainbow is a legit elite scorer.

We all now know how the Galchenyuk pick turned out, but a lot of us, myself included, were stoked to get a potential 1C and I do not hold it against the team for drafting Galch over Reilly, Forsberg etc. And in a draft where there is a consensus top 5 I will not hold it against HuGo for taking whichever of those 5 is left.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Most recent Stanley cup champions missed on high picks.
Vagas missed on Glass,
Tampa missed on Drouin (3). Koekkoek (10), and Connolly (6).

Fine, if we can acquire guys like Stone and Eichel for peanuts then sure, we can afford to miss on a pick. But considering how I keep hearing that guys like PLD and Keller are "too old" for our rebuild I guess wiffing on a bunch of premium picks makes me wonder where exactly we're supposed to get these kinds of top players. Too old to trade for and can't seem to draft them.

The player himself has said he's coming over. He's made his way to the draft. This mindboggling scenario of him not coming over needs to die.

I guess all these NHL GMs don't check Twitter. Cause they want to meet him to clear that up.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes.

I don't trust ANYTHING about everything that is currently *leaked* in the media about the draft.

You can bet Washington picks Michkov at #8 if he's there even if their Russia scout went public about his character issues before the draft.

And unfortunately, this means San Jose might take Michkov, despite reports they're taking Will Smith.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I just learned that Ryan Leonard is the younger brother of the SJ's forward, no wonder he's going to BC next year.

I also learned in this thread he is a better skating Brendan Gallagher apparently

Didnt know skating was the only reason Gally was a 5th rounder instead of top 10

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Was listening in the NHL network last week about the upcoming draft. Somebody from eliteprospects was on and gave opinions.

Had Mitch at 4. Said that he’s had a disappointing year after getting creamed early on by Emelin. Year before he was neck and neck with Bedard. Questions about his all around game.

He had Smith at 8. No denying the talent but questioned his heart. Said he’s not the kind of guy who’s going to pull you through the playoffs…

Had Dvorski 5th…
He wouldn't get away trying to cut to the middle like that here either. Emelin isn't even that mobile.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I am hoping we do not draft a low upside player like we did last year. That would be Bergevin level incompetence to have two top 5 picks , one first overall, and choose two 50 point players in Slaf and Leonard.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I am hoping we do not draft a low upside player like we did last year. That would be Bergevin level incompetence to have two top 5 picks , one first overall, and choose two 50 point players in Slaf and Leonard.
Slaf will never be a 50 pt player. He will either be an 80 pt forward or bust (if his hockey sense isn't good enough).

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

I firmly believe that both Slafkovsky and Leonard will alternate Selke and Conn Smythe trophies for 6 years in a row starting 2030.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm willing to bet you'll end up loving Leonard, though.
The guy is built like an ox -- he's an animal. There's no foolin', he'll create havoc and likely armageddon it out there.

Never too late for love -- Hughes may not like the idea of letting him slip like a desert song in the poverty franchise landscape of Arizona.

Pour some sugar on him and take a photogragh ... after all, is this not a draft for the ages?

6YzeDzd.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: