Pre-Game Talk: Canadiens vs Blue Jackets

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
What is Armia's role on the PP? He hasn't scored a PP goal in his career.

I understand he's effective along the boards but there's got to be a reason he's been on such a lengthy drought.

I find he fits in well with Drouin and Domi and can provide a net front presence or go get the pucks in the dirty areas.
I personally would put Lekhonen there because of his shot , but it seems CJ likes to keep Lekhonen for the PK.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I find he fits in well with Drouin and Domi and can provide a net front presence or go get the pucks in the dirty areas.
I personally would put Lekhonen there because of his shot , but it seems CJ likes to keep Lekhonen for the PK.

If he's more of a retriever and feeder, then he must have PP assists? He's an effective defensive player but I don't find he uses his size advantage consistently.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
What is Armia's role on the PP? He hasn't scored a PP goal in his career.

I understand he's effective along the boards but there's got to be a reason he's been on such a lengthy drought.

only reason he's there is because he'a a righty, and he's the only one we have. And we have way too many passing-first time of player, not enought shooter.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
If he's more of a retriever and feeder, then he must have PP assists? He's an effective defensive player but I don't find he uses his size advantage consistently.

d4ea911c94ce83c060541c9595954047b64181a296e60ad2ef43f035ac68ba68.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
only reason he's there is because he'a a righty, and he's the only one we have. And we have way too many passing-first time of player, not enought shooter.

That brings us back to one of the glaring needs we have on top of a first pairing LHD.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Why can't the Habs use a conventional PP with Ds on the point.

Weber - Petry
Gallagher - Domi - Tatar

Rielly - Mete
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi/Danault - Drouin

Jul 6, 2016
Why can't the Habs use a conventional PP with Ds on the point.

Weber - Petry
Gallagher - Domi - Tatar

Rielly - Mete
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi/Danault - Drouin

Possibly because Petry and Weber are two right handed d-men.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
Byron out, I assume they'll use this opportunity to showcase Hudon as best they can.

I'd go:

Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Tatar-Domi-Lehkonen
Hudon-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Deslauriers-Chaput-Agostino

showcase? play a guy for that? nope.

peca is faster & kills penalties. hudon can't do either.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
no, but that doesn't mean he's refused, nor does it mean it hasn't been tried in practice or proposed.

Julien is a coach that sticks with his lines too long. This latest shuffle came too late as usually. It had to be painfully obvious game after game that a change was needed until a change was finally made. He's almost got it right: all he has to do is switch KK and Danault, and that's a really good top 9.

Last year, while Pacioretty struggled, he didn't once put Gallagher with Pacioretty all year. He kept Gallagher chained to Plekanec. It was horrible.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
Julien is a coach that sticks with his lines too long. This latest shuffle came too late as usually. It had to be painfully obvious game after game that a change was needed until a change was finally made. He's almost got it right: all he has to do is switch KK and Danault, and that's a really good top 9.

Last year, while Pacioretty struggled, he didn't once put Gallagher with Pacioretty all year. He kept Gallagher chained to Plekanec. It was horrible.

I love that level of presumption. He did play Gallagher with Pacioretty more than once since he became coach. You also still haven't addressed the issue of how do you know he's refused? How do you know they haven't tried it someplace or proposed it and decided other factors than your opinion are relevant?

leopod

Apr 6, 2011
Just ran a report on nhl stats, Montreal is #1 for hits if we combine last season and this season, #3 for this season only. Mtl is also in the top teams for blocked shots. Does it mean we usually don't have possession so all we can do is hit and block shots? I wish we could see this as some kind of positive attitude and players willing to sacrifice, but I'm afraid the first suggestion might be more realist. Sorry wasn't sure where to post this question or if thread-worthy, so I just hijacked this pre-game talk.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I love that level of presumption. He did play Gallagher with Pacioretty more than once since he became coach. You also still haven't addressed the issue of how do you know he's refused? How do you know they haven't tried it someplace or proposed it and decided other factors than your opinion are relevant?

I would try Drouin and or Gallagher with Kotkaniemi in real games. Practice is different.

Last year, Pacioretty and Gallagher didn't play together in real games. I wanted to see Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher. Didn't happen once, in real games.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Possibly because Petry and Weber are two right handed d-men.

Souray/Markov (lefties)
Subban/Wisniewski (righties)

Arguably the 2 best PPs Habs had. It makes it easier for D to D passing for one timer (forehand pass) and keeping pucks in if Weber misses net and it goes around the boards.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I would start Niemi tomorrow and Price on Saturday. Give Price the home game and let Niemi deal with Columbus. Just my opinion, for all I know Price will play both games :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I cringe at the thought of the Habs's Friday night performance from Nov. 2016, with Montoya having given up 10 goals and the Habs not able to score at all.

Different team now with the old Pricer in nets -- hopefully their cannon won't be sounding off that often.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad