Pre-Game Talk: Canadiens vs Blue Jackets

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Which to me isnt fair. When you attend a certain amount of all star games you should be able to have one decline option. Price has gone every time he was called upon and healthy. Same with Ovie.
"fair has got nothing to do with it"

this wasn't always the rule and they dont want players opting out ( the whole debacle is supposed to be for the fans). It makes sense ( moreso for non goalies) and if the nhl wants to pump the tires of the all star game, they need people who will draw peepers ( which is why they didnt want john scott despite the players feeling otherwise).

so niemi gets a game he was gonna get anyways and we say that was supposed to be price's, call up a goalie from laval and hope he never sees the ice outside of warmups.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Which to me isnt fair. When you attend a certain amount of all star games you should be able to have one decline option. Price has gone every time he was called upon and healthy. Same with Ovie.

I agree. Why is the AS game mandatory even? I get its PR for the league but suspending a player over it is stupid.

Reactions: PhysicX

antoniojr

pretty mint.
Feb 21, 2008
AS game should be at the end of the season when it's all done and dusted. Let these guys rest for the toughest stretch of the season.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I agree. Why is the AS game mandatory even? I get its PR for the league but suspending a player over it is stupid.
the AS game is mandatory because the owners want the players there and the pa agreed to it. And if you allow players to say that they can't go because of an injury, a lot of players would magically get injured right before the all star game.

the whole thing is a farce, it's an exhibition where the NHL gets to pretty much hold court in one arena for nearly a week. A lot of players feel honored to go, some go for the good of the game, some likely go not to get suspended. It really does effect the established stars, there is no way someone selected for his first would pass, and if they had something like a subway card that if you go 5 times you can skip out on the sixth I'd be okay with that but as it stands the owners are not that generous.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's going to be hard.
Habs have a tendency to be less effective against a big team....Columbus is a big team.
Luckily, there's Price who could be the equalizer cause none of Columbus goalie are playing terribly well.

Columbus is good at home but luckily the Habs are a good road team.
Both teams are on a winning streak, both team are fighting for a PO spot

It's the first of 3 games left against the Blue Jacket this year and those should be consider as 4 points games since they are close to each other.

Too close to call.....so i'm going with a mid-high scoring game and this ends up in OT.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Do the players get paid for the AS game?

I wonder if Price is losing more money by not attending the game or if its a wash for him.

I think they get something but its an across the board amount, its not based on their nhl salary. from past all star games it also seems that they can drink as much as they want before and after.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
the AS game is mandatory because the owners want the players there and the pa agreed to it. And if you allow players to say that they can't go because of an injury, a lot of players would magically get injured right before the all star game.

the whole thing is a farce, it's an exhibition where the NHL gets to pretty much hold court in one arena for nearly a week. A lot of players feel honored to go, some go for the good of the game, some likely go not to get suspended. It really does effect the established stars, there is no way someone selected for his first would pass, and if they had something like a subway card that if you go 5 times you can skip out on the sixth I'd be okay with that but as it stands the owners are not that generous.

I get the leagues reasoning, ya it makes sense that you don't want everyone backing out of it, but I guess it kinda shows how lame the AS game has become that you have to force players at essentially gun point to go.

Back when the AS game actually meant something players I think took a lot of pride in being named to the AS team. I think now its just a gimmicked over glorified game of shiney. Its a neat idea to do the 3v3 but its not real hockey and I can understand why players don't want to partake in the dog and pony show that is the AS game.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I think they get something but its an across the board amount, its not based on their nhl salary. from past all star games it also seems that they can drink as much as they want before and after.

It would be interesting to see though if Price was losing lets say 25k from not going to the AS game, and then 100K for his 1 game suspension.

Whats even more lame is that Price was only chosen by default he has not been AS worthy this season. So he is losing salary and taking a suspension for something he doesn't even deserve. It should be Petry or Domi going but because of the way the game is set up Price was the only player the habs could send.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
With Matt Peca inserted in place of Paul Byron & Carey Price in nets, I don't expect any surprising 10 - 0 score tonight. The Habs are pursuing their 1st four game winning streak of this season, as their prime motivator being the Stanley Cup Playoff entry.
Habs to a man playing their best hockey this season, should be a challenge to the physical CBJ's.
Victor Mete's play alongside Shea Weber reminds this old Habs fan of J C Tremblay the PMD of note in the late 60's early 70's. I have the Habs winning in OT 1 -0 of course Price being spectacular in nets again. Should be a rough defensive battle, with ample scoring opportunities. Go Habs Go!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I think money is the last thing on his mind, don't you?

clearly Price doesn't care its pocket change for him.

I was more curious on my end. A suspension cost him 1 game of salary. So he is taking a hit in his wallet for 1 game and losing out on whatever the NHL would pay him. Doesn't the MVP get a car or something I remember Scott won something at that AS game.

Anyways overall kinda unfair to Price considiring he is only at the AS by default. Should be Petry or Domi there but since there are other F and D in our division the only choice for a habs player is Price.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Aggressive forechecking and high speed hockey is in the cards tonight, plus two great defensive teams will make for low scoring. It will come down to goaltending. I predict 1-0 Montreal. Armia with a lucky bounce

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
I would try Drouin and or Gallagher with Kotkaniemi in real games. Practice is different.

Last year, Pacioretty and Gallagher didn't play together in real games. I wanted to see Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher. Didn't happen once, in real games.

Yes, yes it has. They have been on the ice together. Also, I haven't forgotten the post that led to this, in which you asserted in rather presumptuous that Hudon was the only pick. I believe I replied that Peca kills penalties and is faster. How's that going for you, guy?

Canadiens Game Day: PK ability gives Matthew Peca edge vs. Blue Jackets

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes, yes it has. They have been on the ice together. Also, I haven't forgotten the post that led to this, in which you asserted in rather presumptuous that Hudon was the only pick. I believe I replied that Peca kills penalties and is faster. How's that going for you, guy?

Canadiens Game Day: PK ability gives Matthew Peca edge vs. Blue Jackets

Being on the ice together is different than playing as a line for a good stretch...

If you want to quote that post quote it.

I knew Julien would choose Peca over Hudon. Not in the least surprised.

Have a good one, guy.

thewall

Jul 9, 2010
Last time the Habs played a Friday night game in Columbus followed by a Saturday home game vs Philly it didnt go good. You can ask Al Montoya about it. Hopefuly we don't give up 10 goals tonight.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I expect the Habs to play well and with Price in nets....you have a chance to walk away with a win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->