Confirmed with Link: Canadiens submit qualifying offers to Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, Pezzetta, Poehling, Leskinen and McNiven

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Hey guys, just wondering why Leguerrier did not get a contract from the Habs. I don't know much about him, but I was curious. He seemed to have progressed from a statistical standpoint.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Hey guys, just wondering why Leguerrier did not get a contract from the Habs. I don't know much about him, but I was curious. He seemed to have progressed from a statistical standpoint.

They deemed him not worthy of a 3 year commitment. We have many other better D coming up, so might as well keep the contract slot.

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So now that Poehling has been signed. The only RFA left is KK.
Brother Adam, do you find this odd that a player with zero leverage has yet to sign...could have been done on day 1.
I know his father is ill in Finland so perhaps he is weighing staying in Finland?

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Brother Adam, do you find this odd that a player with zero leverage has yet to sign...could have been done on day 1.
I know his father is ill in Finland so perhaps he is weighing staying in Finland?
zero chance imo contracts arent so simple we're talking about 7 figures contracts plus length,players like him want short term to prove themselves and sometimes GMs want longer to save cap who knows who wants what but im confident he starts the year in Montreal ( unless hes traded for another C which would surprise me )

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The way I see it is that after the season ended, there was the entry draft, expansion draft, and free agency all back-to-back-to-back. And as is always the case, things slow down afterwards.

We've seen other RFA's get signed along the way here and there. But they were pretty much 1-year deals and most will be in Laval.

The reason Poehling and KK were left last is, in my opinion, because they evaluate those guys a little more closely. So the term and other details in the contracts need to be ironed out a little more. How much of the contract will be a signing bonus, what will be the performance bonuses if there are any, etc.

And why KK is last is probably because his contract is the hardest one to put together among all of the RFA's. Whereas most of them were signed to league minimum, KK will not be. And then comes the question of the term.

Reactions: Tyson

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Down to KK. I'm expecting a one to two year contract. Really short-term. 3 would be better though. Suzuki is up next summer then Caufield after that.

Next year Chiarot and Kulak are off the books, which should help with a new contract for Suzuki.

Then Drouin, Byron & Allen are gone giving us a ton of money to sign Caufield.

After that, it's Hoffman, Toffoli & Edmundson. So even if KK raises his game to a $4m - $6m level, we'll have the money to pay him.

I'd go $1.2m, $2.2m & $3.5m for a 3 year $6.9m contract. Cap: $2.3m. He would still be a RFA with a Q.O. of $3.5m, although only one year away from UFA.

I expect he gets 2 years: $1.2m & $2.2m. Cap: $1.7m.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Down to KK. I'm expecting a one to two year contract. Really short-term. 3 would be better though. Suzuki is up next summer then Caufield after that.

Next year Chiarot and Kulak are off the books, which should help with a new contract for Suzuki.

Then Drouin, Byron & Allen are gone giving us a ton of money to sign Caufield.

After that, it's Hoffman, Toffoli & Edmundson. So even if KK raises his game to a $4m - $6m level, we'll have the money to pay him.

I'd go $1.2m, $2.2m & $3.5m for a 3 year $6.9m contract. Cap: $2.3m. He would still be a RFA with a Q.O. of $3.5m, although only one year away from UFA.

I expect he gets 2 years: $1.2m & $2.2m. Cap: $1.7m.

lol. MTL and bargainbin you just got punked. 6.9 for 3 years...try 6 million for one. Lol.

Honestly, I love this look on MB. Love it.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Meh, Canes just did us a favour. Opens options we didn't have this morning. Too bad KK wouldn't buy into the program. Personally think this will end his NHL career early.

Reactions: DavePeak

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
lol. MTL and bargainbin you just got punked. 6.9 for 3 years...try 6 million for one. Lol.

Honestly, I love this look on MB. Love it.

Which is ridiculous. It's 3xs his worth. He's a $2m player. No way you pay KK $6.1m next year. So good luck to him in Carolina.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Which is ridiculous. It's 3xs his worth. He's a $2m player. No way you pay KK $6.1m next year. So good luck to him in Carolina.
I’m pretty sure they’re ready to try him for one year at that price and at the same time make Bergevin look like the most incompetent GM of the past century. At worst it cost them a late first and third, at best KK works out, and they also embarrass Montreal..

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
The whole thing is quite infantile. The press copy copy, the signing bonus. The man is a tool and suits Carolina franchise ownership perfectly. This is no hockey move. Pure schoolyard B.S. The fact that this is even in the league shows we have a ways to go to escape 'bush' status.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I’m pretty sure they’re ready to try him for one year at that price and at the same time make Bergevin look like the most incompetent GM of the past century. At worst it cost them a late first and third, at best KK works out, and they also embarrass Montreal..

2022 is quite a deep draft and there's no guarantee that Carolina makes the playoffs next season. They're in the toughest division in NHL. All it takes is a few injuries to key players.

No team has played 82 games in 2 years, so who knows what's going to happen. I'm not at all convinced that it's going to be a late 1st. It could easily be a top 20 pick, or higher if they miss the playoffs. We can get a Caufield type player next year in top 20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad