Confirmed with Link: Canadiens submit qualifying offers to Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, Pezzetta, Poehling, Leskinen and McNiven

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
No....more years less money is the way to go in the NHL.
Buying UFA years is more for players that could break the bank if they hit UFA.

Lehkonen could take the 2.2 for 1 year and then turn UFA. That's 2.2M contract.
Or buy some security with a 3 years deal at 1.8M$. That's a 5.4M contract, enough money for life.

More times than not, those type of players will prefer the 5.4M guaranteed money.
He's 2 seasons away from UFA status.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
882.gif

MFW I see Montréal shortened to MON rather than MTL

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to move on from the organization. Arbitration may be the impetus where the team walks away from him.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Probably only to get a raise from his minor AHL salary. (Was 75K last season)

If he get more than 75K in the AHL, he is also reducing his odds of being send to Trois Rivieres.

Also after 4 years pro, he is due for a raise in the minors.

He earn 55K to 75K in the past 4 seasons.

I doubt his NHL salary is in play here.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to move on from the organization. Arbitration may be the impetus where the team walks away from him.

The club cannot walk away from a contract as low as the arbitrator will give him (the walk away $ is around 4.5M). I also doubt the arbitrator will give him a 1-way. It's probably a fight for AHL salary.

Reactions: loudi94 and SpezNc2

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
The club cannot walk away from a contract as low as the arbitrator will give him (the walk away $ is around 4.5M). I also doubt the arbitrator will give him a 1-way. It's probably a fight for AHL salary.
Exactly.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I think it's fair to pay McNiven 100 000$ this year.

Also, because one of our players filed for arbitration, it means we have another window open for buy out. I don't think we will use it but still.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcyhabs and SpezNc2

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think it's fair to pay McNiven 100 000$ this year.

Also, because one of our players filed for arbitration, it means we have another window open for buy out. I don't think we will use it but still.
Is there a minimum amount the award has to be before the buyout option kicks in?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->