Confirmed with Link: Canadiens submit qualifying offers to Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, Pezzetta, Poehling, Leskinen and McNiven

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I wish him a better salary.
For all the commitment he displayed for his sport and the Habs, I wish him to get a bit more than 70K a year. It does sound reasonable, also being an hockey player, even more a goalie, doesn't come that cheap.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Considering the lack of goaltending depth they have.....

Even without him, we have :
Price, Allen
Primeau, Poulin

Which would be fine. Of course, pushing Poulin (or McNiven) to the ECHL would be even better, but not necessary.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Montreal would likely lose value in any trade, so I doubt it happens.
I’m saying from his perspective. They really botched his play time a couple years ago and he didn’t have a team and bounced around a lot. Imagine he’s frustrated with the org.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I’m saying from his perspective. They really botched his play time a couple years ago and he didn’t have a team and bounced around a lot. Imagine he’s frustrated with the org.

Well, this year he's either backup in Laval or likely starter with TR. A lot less moving around.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Price, Allen
Primeau, Poulin

Which would be fine. Of course, pushing Poulin (or McNiven) to the ECHL would be even better, but not necessary.
Every team should have 4 goalies on NHL contracts.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
If McNiven force a trade, either sign Poulin or a FA to a contract. Problem fixed.
I don’t think he want to force a trade for now. I think he knows his ST future is the AHL. But obviously he may want a better financial security as he is father.

McNiven has roots here. His girlfriend is from here. Very likely he wants to stays with Laval.

But obviously at some point he may want a better opportunity and be higher in the depth chart.

I expect he sign a 2 way deal 750K NHL, 100K AHL.

Fucale could be a comparable although he only some guaranteed money in YR6 (180K). McNiven is going on YR5.

We shall see if he is able to get some guaranteed money in between (> 75K but < 170K) one year sooner than Fucale his first guaranteed money contract.

Last edited:

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
He has to be awarded a $4.5m NHL contract.

McNiven will get a two-way contract: $750k NHL then his AHL amount. Buyout is not applicable in his case.

No he can't be bought out, but we can buy out someone else.

"Teams that have arbitration cases — even if the case is settled before the hearing — can have a second buyout window. This year that period is 48 hrs that begins three days after the last arbitration award or settlement"

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Price, Allen
Primeau, Poulin

That's exactly enough. That's not fine to be honest. Teams can use 5 different goaltenders in the nhl alone if there are injuries. Primeau isn't ready for the nhl and Poulin was garbage in his nhl career. Also it doesn't give them any goaltending in the echl (I don't think they've signed anyone).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That's exactly enough. That's not fine to be honest. Teams can use 5 different goaltenders in the nhl alone if there are injuries. Primeau isn't ready for the nhl and Poulin was garbage in his nhl career. Also it doesn't give them any goaltending in the echl (I don't think they've signed anyone).

You don't have to have someone on an NHL deal for the ECHL.

I already said the best is McNiven re-sign and we have Poulin (or McNiven) and whoever else in the ECHL. I was just saying that McNiven is not essential (although highly preferred).

The summer isn't done, MTL, LAV or TR will be signing at least 2 guys (including maybe McNiven).

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
You don't have to have someone on an NHL deal for the ECHL.

I already said the best is McNiven re-sign and we have Poulin (or McNiven) and whoever else in the ECHL. I was just saying that McNiven is not essential (although highly preferred).

The summer isn't done, MTL, LAV or TR will be signing at least 2 guys (including maybe McNiven).
I know you don't have to have someone in the echl under an nhl contract, but the heart of my original comment is that the Habs lack quality depth at the position. IMHO the 2 guys in the NHL are it right now. I hope Primeau works out, but I'm not sold on him yet. After him, there's really no depth. All the other guys are late round picks and none of them are even available to step into Laval yet. I know we have Price and all, but they've done a pretty weak job at drafting goaltenders since they got Price. Fucale was the last guy picked high ish, and that was a horrible pick based on 1 successful season. Sure, Primeau could work out, but he was a 7th round pick and could easily fade away.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Sounds jamaican.

relax-mon-jamaican-yourself-crazy.jpg

Reactions: Gyfu

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
KK's father cancer is really a very sad story. Could it happen that KK decides to stay close to his father for the next season and not accept a new contract with the Habs ?
With his father being in hockey as a coach , i strongly doubt he will even let him contemplate that. however there is no denying it will be hard on him.
Différant humans react differently , he might have a career year or struggle badly .
I know when my late dad was sick , I could barely concentrate on work , so clear how it affected me.

wish him the best to him and his dad

Reactions: 1909

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
KK's father cancer is really a very sad story. Could it happen that KK decides to stay close to his father for the next season and not accept a new contract with the Habs ?

With his father being in hockey as a coach , i strongly doubt he will even let him contemplate that. however there is no denying it will be hard on him.
Différant humans react differently , he might have a career year or struggle badly .
I know when my late dad was sick , I could barely concentrate on work , so clear how it affected me.

wish him the best to him and his dad

I think it's more likely he just delayed negotiations for a while as his dad had his surgery a few days ago. Now that it's done, KK will probably sign sometime end August/September.

Jul 6, 2016
I think it's more likely he just delayed negotiations for a while as his dad had his surgery a few days ago. Now that it's done, KK will probably sign sometime end August/September.

Should MB be ready to NOT have KK at the next Camp (for those personal reasons) ? Centerline situation would then be in even deeper "mud".

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Should MB be ready to NOT have KK at the next Camp (for those personal reasons) ? Centerline situation would then be in even deeper "mud".

As I said, his dad already had his surgery. I would be extremely surprised if KK was staying out for personal reasons. It might just have slowed the talks for a few weeks, that's all.

Reactions: 1909 and tazsub3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad