Post-Game Talk: Canadiens @ Rangers 2/19/13 - Moar Icing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2012
NY
Well this might fall into #7, but add to that the dumbest one yet. On the winning goal tonight, after the Staal turnover the Habs come down 2 on 1 on Stralman, Callahan catches up, and so does another Hab making it 3 on 2 in our zone. The Habs got quite a few whacks at it 3 on 2 before scoring.

Now why is that? Where were the other 3 Rangers? They went off for a line change. Yes, a line change on an odd man rush. :facepalm:
:laugh: :laugh: What do these guys do in practice?

Drewbackatu*

Now that I have calmed down a little bit here is what I saw:

1) Richards was awful, again. Cap hit of 6.7 and he is not a difference-maker when he is on the ice. Players like Kovalchuk, Parise, Getzlaf, Staal, etc. are consistently using their skills to be difference makers whether they score or not. If Richards does not score or assist on anything, he is useless.

2) Gaborik no longer goes to any dirty areas of the ice to score goals.

3) Boyle on the 3rd line is a terrible position for him to be in. He is a very good 4th liner. 3rd is too high. Also, Pyatt and Boyle on the same line is a bad idea. Too slow.

4) MDZ is overrated because he is a "puck-mover" and yet he lacks any sort of puck-movement skills. Look at Markov or Diaz or Subban. Those are puck-movers.

5) Miller and Kreider are not ready for consistent NHL duties.

6) The team lacks anyone who can bring energy to the team when they are lacking it. Still lacking a Chris Neil, Brandon Prust, Steve Ott-type of player.

Excellent observations; all are right on point.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Well this might fall into #7, but add to that the dumbest one yet. On the winning goal tonight, after the Staal turnover the Habs come down 2 on 1 on Stralman, Callahan catches up, and so does another Hab making it 3 on 2 in our zone. The Habs got quite a few whacks at it 3 on 2 before scoring.

Now why is that? Where were the other 3 Rangers? They went off for a line change. Yes, a line change on an odd man rush. :facepalm:

I must be missing this, because I just watch the replay.

1. Stralman is back
2. Callahan is back
3. Staal dives like a doofus and takes himself out of the play and then stops skating and glides back and doesn't get back until the puck is in the net
4. Richards glides back
5. Kreider glides back

No one changed, it's just pure laziness.

Look at the three guys in the back, not one of them bent over in a power skating position all of them standing upright.
lazyrangers_zps2edb57cb.jpg

If you continue to watch the play you can see how close Richards actually got to the player who shot it in. Had he skated back hard he would have been there long before that pass happened. Same goes for Kreider with all of his speed just glides back. Had he skated hard, he would have been there long before the pass across. Lazy lazy lazy.
lazyrangers2_zps081efca8.jpg

Drewbackatu*

Glad you are not the GM because Staal is one of the best shutdown defenders in the game.

That's all we ever hear about Marc Staal when in reality, his assinine pinch in's are as dumb as ****!!
Staal is a good defenseman, nothing more, nothing less.

Apr 10, 2012
I must be missing this, because I just watch the replay.

1. Stralman is back
2. Callahan is back
3. Staal dives like a doofus and takes himself out of the play and then stops skating and glides back and doesn't get back until the puck is in the net
4. Richards glides back
5. Kreider glides back

No one changed, it's just pure laziness.

Look at the three guys in the back, not one of them bent over in a power skating position all of them standing upright.
lazyrangers_zps2edb57cb.jpg

If you continue to watch the play you can see how close Richards actually got to the player who shot it in. Had he skated back hard he would have been there long before that pass happened. Same goes for Kreider with all of his speed just glides back. Had he skated hard, he would have been there long before the pass across. Lazy lazy lazy.
lazyrangers2_zps081efca8.jpg
tbh i was pretty sure both guy stopped in the first picture because they thought the puck was going out of the zone and cally just whiffed on it... if i'm not mistaken, the picture is taken AFTER cally doesn't connect on that play-- as cally has already turned around and is looking at the puck on the ground behind him. this is extremely inconclusive. i'm not completely denying that they were lazy/tired on the play, but that picture certainly does not definitive show that.

ALSO:: 6 canadiens on the ice... something about that is fishyy

HankyPanky30

Feb 12, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
tbh i was pretty sure both guy stopped in the first picture because they thought the puck was going out of the zone and cally just whiffed on it... if i'm not mistaken, the picture is taken AFTER cally doesn't connect on that play-- as cally has already turned around and is looking at the puck on the ground behind him. this is extremely inconclusive. i'm not completely denying that they were lazy/tired on the play, but that picture certainly does not definitive show that.

They're not gonna call that. That happens on line changes all the time. Especially not going to call that when it is that far away from the puck.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY

In watching over it again. Richards skates before that moment, but hardly like he's pushing himself. You'd have to look at the video to see what I'm talking about. As soon as Callahan misses, he completely stops skating (he should have clearly seen from where he was that Callahan missed). Kreider hardly skated at all from the beginning.

Both Richards and Staal completely stopped skating the moment they got to the blue line. Both weren't sprinting prior to this, I'll tell you that much. I don't care how tired you are. These guys are professional athletes they should have the energy to get back. It seems Callahan had no problem unless he's in that much better shape than these other guys. I feel like it's men's league where you see an opposing player on a breakaway so you stop skating because you figure he's going to score. This is the NHL there's no excuse for that crap.

HankyPanky30

Feb 12, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
In watching over it again. Richards skates before that moment, but hardly like he's pushing himself. You'd have to look at the video to see what I'm talking about. As soon as Callahan misses, he completely stops skating (he should have clearly seen from where he was that Callahan missed). Kreider hardly skated at all from the beginning.

Both Richards and Staal completely stopped skating the moment they got to the blue line. Both weren't sprinting prior to this, I'll tell you that much. I don't care how tired you are. These guys are professional athletes they should have the energy to get back. It seems Callahan had no problem unless he's in that much better shape than these other guys.
Callahan is just awesome in all facets of his game. The quintessential captain. Perfect for this team. Wish he could put the puck in the net more, but that will come with time.

Vickers8

,. It seems Callahan had no problem unless he's in that much better shape than these other guys.

Its called hustle, Cally never quits...Richards came back to take the puck out of the net after they scored...

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
PGT Summary:

Brad Richards is a stupid beaver who is paid more a second than you are a week. Buyout!

DelZaster is back. Trade him.

Refs lost us the game!

Torts should be fired because he already won a Cup and screaming doesn't work anymore. Also then they can fire Sullivan and buyout stupid beaver who are his boys.

Staal to Carolina. Stralman will log his minutes.

Gaborik lost his speed, shot and can't dangle. Trade.

Stepan can't skate, forecheck, and his shot is blocked 100% of the time even if he scores. The hairloss commercials are for him.

Gilroy is the best defensemen because he's never on the ice for a GA.

MSG is rigged to explode if any Ranger performs a one-timer.

There was a blizzard of '93 and '95. ****ing Quattro.

Callahan is only good on the PP and he isn't the kind of player that fits in this Ranger team. (WAT?) He should be moved for an offensive winger. He also got all the credit for Dubinsky's amazing play because he is the Golden boy.

JT "giveaways" Miller should go back to the AHL and take that bust Kreider with him.

Boyle is a good player now because he rang one off the post. DelZaster is the new Boyle.

Blame the lockout.

Everyone on the team is Chris Drury 2.0.

Rick Nash is currently recovering from a hangover, lower body amputation, and being dead.
Haha, brilliant.

Apr 10, 2012
Callahan is just awesome in all facets of his game. The quintessential captain. Perfect for this team. Wish he could put the puck in the net more, but that will come with time.

lazy turnover in the first period for a change that almost lead to a 2 on 0... but yeah... nobody played well in this game except hagelin

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
As a Habs fan, I thought playing the Rangers would be the first real challenge of the last few weeks. I thought the Rangers would outmuscles the Habs at least. It was weird how there was no push back, very little hits, no intimidation, nothing. Rangers looked far more gritty in the playoffs last year than they were last night. It was the playoffs and the intensity usualy jump but still I expected a more hard-fought battle.

Apr 10, 2012
As a Habs fan, I thought playing the Rangers would be the first real challenge of the last few weeks. I thought the Rangers would outmuscles the Habs at least. It was weird how there was no push back, very little hits, no intimidation, nothing. Rangers looked far more gritty in the playoffs last year than they were last night. It was the playoffs and the intensity usualy jump but still I expected a more hard-fought battle.

i thought the habs did a great job icing the puck

Apr 10, 2012
By the Canadiens alone?

That game felt it had close to 30.

nope total... according to the scoresheet on the rangers site(i just ctrl f'd and saw 16 icings highlighted)... i thought there were more as well... that one that got waved off felt like three + the 2 noncalls near the goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad