Confirmed with Link: Canadiens fire Therrien, hire Claude Julien

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
He wouldn't have been so quick to sign back in the pressure cooker that is Montreal if he thought so. I'll trust his opinion over yours.

Agreed. It could be that Julien has seen the potential in the Habs' roster after having constantly being beaten by them over the years! :laugh:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
But when he gave him tons of ice time, it worked! Prust was at a time an effective second liner, esp. when he played with Chucky.

Then his body broke down and was an effective fourth liner for a time with Weise and Moen. But it's like these guys could not take being relegated to a fourth line after tasting second line minutes.

Anyway really, Prust at the end was too broken down.

The Prust - Galchenyuk - Gallagher line was alright. I think they were getting third line minutes, though.

Plekanec and Desharnais likely each got more ice time than Galchenyuk did at the time I would think.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
The same Max that had 33 goals and 65 pts the year before Therrien was hired?

The same Max who was "the worst captain is Canadiens history" according to said coach?

His two way game has undeniably gotten better, but how much of that is attributable to Therrien's tutoring versus natural player development and or other members of the coaching staff/player development team is ambiguous to say the least.

Hey man , I'm just saying what I feel sitting here on my couch. I think Pacioretty liked to play under Therrien , you don't think so , it's cool.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Weber will.be a better fit for CJ than subban as well. Boucher was the only pro subban coach potentially

member 256847

The bully is gone. Will not miss his condescending tone nor his butchering of the French/English language during media scrums.

As for Julien, let's wait and see. Wasn't in love with his style the first time around. Nice resume since then for sure though.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Hey man it's not Vegas who wants to talk with him, it's your biggest rival...

Julien knows every little detail about that team, every player, tendencies, weaknesses and stuff like this.

It's really odd , why would they do us such a favor? We're battling for a PO spot against them...

Do you think this team got better with him behind the bench? Why the heck would the Bruins let us get better? Makes no sense whatsoever...

It doesn't matter it hasn't and never will happen do you know how petty the Bruins would look if they refused????

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
The same Max that had 33 goals and 65 pts the year before Therrien was hired?

The same Max who was "the worst captain is Canadiens history" according to said coach?

His two way game has undeniably gotten better, but how much of that is attributable to Therrien's tutoring versus natural player development and or other members of the coaching staff/player development team is ambiguous to say the least.

We will never know how much of it is attributable to Therrien, but it's clear that Therrien saw that potential in Pacioretty and gave him the opportunity to succeed on the defensive side of the puck as well.

We can't really use speculation as an argument against him, though, regarding your comment about his captaincy.

If there was a complaint to be made right now about Therrien, it is that it is very odd how the team seems to begin a slump always around the same time of year, at least over the past couple years. Could it be that his system is far too demanding? (Hence why we seem to be injury-riddled and fizz-out early on constantly)

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Therrien, is the only Habs coach, I have never liked...never. Brutal coach, and finally we are free from him!!
They could have replaced him with anyone, seriously, anyone and it would have made my day!!
If I remember correctly, I was not happy when CJ got let go in 06, was it a lost dressing room that did him in also?? Any of you guys remember?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/re-visiting-claude-juliens-first-time-canadiens-head-coach/

coached rookies, Ribeiro,Ryder...
won a playoffs against Boston
lost a year to the lock out
was fired mid season by Gainey who was just hired to replace Savard.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
But when he gave him tons of ice time, it worked! Prust was at a time an effective second liner, esp. when he played with Chucky.

Then his body broke down and was an effective fourth liner for a time with Weise and Moen. But it's like these guys could not take being relegated to a fourth line after tasting second line minutes.

Anyway really, Prust at the end was too broken down.

Any NHL player has a high level of talent. You need that to make it there. These guys didn't come up as grinders and fighters when they were young, they were always the best players on their teams.

When you give almost any NHL player with a high effort level good linemates and icetime, they will almost always produce to some degree. But there's also a reason why these guys never did that before, and it isn't only because they never had the chance. Sustaining that level of production is what makes a point producer. Guys like Prust, Weise, DD, they can't do it forever because they ultimately lack that key ability.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Can anyone tell me why was Julien fired the first time around? I dont remember the details

I remember it clear as DAY, julien was no idiot, he clearly saw Theo was on the downturn, and starting to suck, and Huet was comin up and playing really well for us, and Ill never forget it, Julien announced he was starting Huet for a 3rd game in a row, gets fired, gainey takes over, and starts theo instead that night, and we beat the sharks 6-2, ...only gainey would finally realized that maybe julien was right, and Huet became the number 1 goalie for the next couple years after that

this isnt the REASON julien got fired mind you.. but ill never forget how that day played out

Not really a fan of Julien but he should be a lot better than MT was.

Thought youd be WAY happier lol wow

Im pretty confident tho that this means we will never see desharnais play for the habs again unless theres an injury, claude is pretty aware of desharnais inneffectiveness

now just get rid of JJ daingneault and were really in business

Phenom

Grind deez guyss - Michou
Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
HF: 1
Therrien: 0

There is a god somewhere.

giphy.gif

I'm still excited.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
The baldest day in Habs history. Really looking forward to what's next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany