Confirmed with Link: Canadiens fire Therrien, hire Claude Julien

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
COme on now mate. You probably hated DD and Therrien for more than a decade.

Julien won a cup, Therrien hasn't won a damn thing in this league for a good reason

Julien is a better coach

Julien also gets selected for Team Canada staff....Therrien never did and never will get a sniff.

Both for obvious reasons.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Oh look they replaced Michel Therrien with Michel Therrien

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Spinning wheels, stability in mediocrity.

I agree that MT and CJ seem to be pretty similar in ideology, but maybe a fresh voice is good enough to go on a run here.

If he can get the same level that MT got out of this team during the good stretches, then its a win.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Mario Tremblay was saying earlier today that he believes Molson went straight to Jeremy Jacobs to ask if Habs can talk to Julien and the permission was given by Jacobs. There is also word that Neely tried to convince Jacobs not to allow the Habs to talk to him. But Jacobs wasn't convinced by Neely.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I wonder how many people feel like this right now.

Bergevin made a good move that is unanimously praised, but it doesn't affect how lots of people feel about his job with the Habs. Makes you wonder how many people want personnel fired due to their actual performance, or if their mind was made up long ago and they refuse to change it. Why do you want him fired? Because he didn't fire Therrien last year?

It's a little silly to suggest that my desire for Bergevin to get fired may have nothing to do with his actual performance. It's more than a little silly, actually. Especially coming from a person who has been defending Therrien tirelessly for years but just now happens to be oh so happy with the Therrien firing, because oh, "We hired a great coach!"

As if people wanted Therrien fired only to replace him with bad coach.

With that said, I want Bergevin fired because as you kept suggesting while defending Therrien, this team just isn't that good. His failure to fire Therrien much earlier has hurt this team's present and future.

He has been utterly dependant on a fantastic core that he inherited, and has done very little to bolster its chances of a cup throughout his tenure with the club.

The SUbban bridge deal was awful, and catapulted a sequence of events that hurt this team. The same thing seems to be happening with Galchenyuk. This summer, we will be forced to pay much more than we would had had we signed Galchenyuk to a longer contract two summers ago.

The Subban trade was a terrible one. But it's bitter pill I would be more willingly to swallow if it did not significantly shorten our cup window.

His vision, if he has any, is anyone guess at this moment. He's made a move or two moves suggesting that he is in a win-now mode, he is however unwilling to trade prospects to bolster our top-six.

He is now in his 5th season with the club, and aside from the addition of Petry and Radulov, he's failed to make any major moves to address the more concerning needs of this club.

I do not trust the guy, at all. A GM who sides with a terrible coach over a superstar cannot be trusted. And a GM who surrounds himself with his friends and naturally refuses to fire them and submits every excuse to keep them even as it hurts the team should not be trusted.

I'm glad he's fired Therrien. But there are reasons to believe that he had to be pushed to do so, even after last year's disastrous events.

I don't trust Bergevin at all. I'll still give him a chance at this trade deadline. But knowing the guy, I don't expect much from him. I want him fired in the summer.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Mario Tremblay was saying earlier today that he believes Molson went straight to Jeremy Jacobs to ask if Habs can talk to Julien and the permission was given by Jacobs. There is also word that Neely tried to convince Jacobs not to allow the Habs to talk to him. But Jacobs wasn't convinced by Neely.

Good stuff.

Thanks

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Disagree WTK, Julien is one the best coaches in the game. He might be more defensive oriented, but his structures are solid. With the defense the Habs have and Price, this can only be a good thing.

His biggest flaw is his emotions, but he will go to bat for his players, something we needed here the last 5 years.

What's great about Julien is that he doesn't need the most skilled puck mover on the back end to play a solid transition game. His team's are always the best at moving the puck and their neutral zone play is top.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Disagree WTK, Julien is one the best coaches in the game. He might be more defensive oriented, but his structures are solid. With the defense the Habs have and Price, this can only be a good thing.

His biggest flaw is his emotions, but he will go to bat for his players, something we needed here the last 5 years.

What's great about Julien is that he doesn't need the most skilled puck mover on the back end to play a solid transition game. His team's are always the best at moving the puck and their neutral zone play is top.

Agreed no more roadkill...:laugh:

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
Proof is in the pudding. We'ill see how this coaching change affects the performance of the team. Hopefully it will be a positive change. MT is a good coach, pity it had to be on Valentine's day. If the team won't be grinding anymore, what are they going to do now? dangling?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's a little silly to suggest that my desire for Bergevin to get fired may have nothing to do with his actual performance. It's more than a little silly, actually. Especially coming from a person who has been defending Therrien tirelessly for years but just now happens to be oh so happy with the Therrien firing, because oh, "We hired a great coach!"

As if people wanted Therrien fired only to replace him with bad coach.

With that said, I want Bergevin fired because as you kept suggesting while defending Therrien, this team just isn't that good. His failure to fire Therrien much earlier has hurt this team's present and future.

He has been utterly dependant on a fantastic core that he inherited, and has done very little to bolster its chances of a cup throughout his tenure with the club.

The SUbban bridge deal was awful, and catapulted a sequence of events that hurt this team. The same thing seems to be happening with Galchenyuk. This summer, we will be forced to pay much more than we would had had we signed Galchenyuk to a longer contract two summers ago.

The Subban trade was a terrible one. But it's bitter pill I would be more willingly to swallow if it did not significantly shorten our cup window.

His vision, if he has any, is anyone guess at this moment. He's made a move or two moves suggesting that he is in a win-now mode, he is however unwilling to trade prospects to bolster our top-six.

He is now in his 5th season with the club, and aside from the addition of Petry and Radulov, he's failed to make any major moves to address the more concerning needs of this club.

I do not trust the guy, at all. A GM who sides with a terrible coach over a superstar cannot be trusted. And a GM who surrounds himself with his friends and naturally refuses to fire them and submits every excuse to keep them even as it hurts the team should not be trusted.

I'm glad he's fired Therrien. But there are reasons to believe that he had to be pushed to do so, even after last year's disastrous events.

I don't trust Bergevin at all. I'll still give him a chance at this trade deadline. But knowing the guy, I don't expect much from him. I want him fired in the summer.

:clap: I will not even try to add to that truck load of wisdom. :yo:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
His system is definitely not the same. Julien tends to play more of a left wing lock system, his teams always play with a tight gap control between the D and forwards, he employs an actual transition D and wants his D to defend the front of the net. The gap control issues and defending the front of the net is hopefully where we'll see a lot of change.

With Weber & Emelin, Habs should be a lot tougher in the square footage in front of Price & Montoya. If Julien can get them to work as a unit in controlling the gaps on offense & defense, we should end up with a much better offense & defense.

Having said that, I'm not really a fan of Julien. Never liked his act in Boston. There was a reason for that "wheel of excuses" and his dramatic facial expresses. OTOH, he is an excellent coach and the Bruins players seemed to like him.

A new voice and direction was needed.

Good luck to him and to us.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
3.5m. Wow. How much was mt making?

Proof is in the pudding. We'ill see how this coaching change affects the performance of the team. Hopefully it will be a positive change. MT is a good coach, pity it had to be on Valentine's day. If the team won't be grinding anymore, what are they going to do now? dangling?

Julien is a systems guy. Away from the puck, the Habs will use strategic positioning in the neutral zone to force turnovers for odd-men number counter attacks. With the puck, especially in the defensive zone, the Julien will implement a quick transition game based on short passes out of the defensive zone (this is what he did in Boston). When the team enters in the offensive zone, Julien has a neck of stretching the defending team across their d-zone allowing for cross-ice passive plays to pinching dmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad