OT: Canadian Tennis

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Auger-Aliassime just won against Basilashvili 7-6, 6-4 to earn a spot in the Quarter finals.

There is a possibility that he could play Kyrgios.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Auger-Aliassime just won against Basilashvili 7-6, 6-4 to earn a spot in the Quarter finals.

There is a possibility that he could play Kyrgios.

Is an all Canadian final possible? Or are they on the same side of the bracket?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Is an all Canadian final possible? Or are they on the same side of the bracket?

I havent checked...would that be something.
First time in Canadian Tennis history. Its asking a lot though. :nod:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Completely agree. IMO there is no comparison to be made between Andreescu and Kyrgios.
Andreescu is very young and has had the spotlight thrown on her in short order.
Like you I dont see an issue here.
I’m not trying to suggest there’s any kind of issue. How would I know if there was or wasn’t when I’ve never been able to see her play? That’s been my point in this. I just found Kerber’s comments to be interesting because I’ve never heard her say anything negative about anyone before. I brought it up hoping someone who actually has seen her play could offer an opinion. You and @Cloned have offered opinions but have either of you guys seen her play?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’m not trying to suggest there’s any kind of issue. How would I know if there was or wasn’t when I’ve never been able to see her play? That’s been my point in this. I just found Kerber’s comments to be interesting because I’ve never heard her say anything negative about anyone before. I brought it up hoping someone who actually has seen her play could offer an opinion. You and @Cloned have offered opinions but have either of you guys seen her play?

I wish I could say that I have seen her play. Unfortunately I have only seen highlights.
In terms of what Kerber said....its possible that she was a little irritated at being beaten twice (handily I might add) by an upstart teenager.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I wish I could say that I have seen her play. Unfortunately I have only seen highlights.
In terms of what Kerber said....its possible that she was a little irritated at being beaten twice (handily I might add) by an upstart teenager.
Again, I don’t know. That’s why I’d like the opinion of someone who’s actually seen her play.:laugh:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Again, I don’t know. That’s why I’d like the opinion of someone who’s actually seen her play.:laugh:

I hear you.

I am just saying that I am not that person. :D

I am also suggesting that its probably much ado about nothing.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Shapo through to the Quarterfinals at Miami.

I believe he and FAA are on opposite sides of the bracket so it is possible that they could face each other in the Final. Still a LONG ways away from that however.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Shapo through to the Quarterfinals at Miami.

I believe he and FAA are on opposite sides of the bracket so it is possible that they could face each other in the Final. Still a LONG ways away from that however.
Yes, I can confirm they are on opposite sides of the bracket.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
On to other things... Did you see Kyrgios melt down again today? That was fun.

I was checking in and out of that match. Missed the meltdown though which is too bad because its fun watching him tilt. :D
Not a Kyrgios fan at all...his "I'm too cool to show that I care" attitude is a bit much IMO.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So Shapovalov defeated Tsitsipas 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (3) in an epic match. Such high quality tennis...a joy to watch.

Could a Shapovalov - Auger Aliassime Final actually happen? Would be absolutely amazing if it did.

@Cloned would be happy. :nod:

Reactions: Cloned

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I was checking in and out of that match. Missed the meltdown though which is too bad because its fun watching him tilt. :D
Not a Kyrgios fan at all...his "I'm too cool to show that I care" attitude is a bit much IMO.
He won the first set but even then he wasn’t really in control of his emotions. The crowd was getting on him a bit for it but he was encouraging them to do it. He broke a racquet at one point and was having so much fun with the crowd that he had some fun going to the railing and giving it to a fan that was begging him for it.

Fast forward to the third set when the wheels had come off for him and he starts complaining to the umpire that the fans are a problem. After he lost the 2-5 game in the third set, during the changeover he walked up to the umpire, shook his hand, congratulated him on his call and then went and sat down. I wasn’t sure if he was quitting or not at first. I’ve never seen a player shake an umpires hand before the match had ended before. It was really bizarre to see. Always something new to see with this guy, I guess.

Reactions: guymez

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
So Shapovalov defeated Tsitsipas 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (3) in an epic match. Such high quality tennis...a joy to watch.

Could a Shapovalov - Auger Aliassime Final actually happen? Would be absolutely amazing if it did.

@Cloned would be happy. :nod:
I was impressed with Shapavolov yesterday. I’ve been on him a fair bit so I’ll give credit where it’s due. I thought he kept his emotions in check really well yesterday and beat a good player. If he can keep it under control he can take some big steps forward.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I was impressed with Shapavolov yesterday. I’ve been on him a fair bit so I’ll give credit where it’s due. I thought he kept his emotions in check really well yesterday and beat a good player. If he can keep it under control he can take some big steps forward.

Shapovalov is maturing as a player. He is only 19/20 years old so I tend to give these young players a lot of slack.
I think he has the potential to end up being Canadas best tennis player in history. Although its tough to choose between him and Auger-Aliassime.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well...one Canadian made it to the semi final.
Auger-Aliassime defeated Coric 7-6 (3), 6-2 to advance. In the first couple of games I though FAA might be in trouble but FAA just took over in the second set.

Getting closer to the all Canadian final. :D

Reactions: Cloned

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Admittedly I haven't seen as much of Auger-Aliassime as Shapovalov, but my impression is that Shapovalov is balls to the walls aggressive more often than not while Auger-Aliassime plays a more controlled game while still being aggressive. More tactical about it I guess. Shapovalov calms down a bit sky is the limit but we shall see if he can get there. I think FAA will have the higher peak though, just a feeling. Kid seems to have it all.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So Shapovalov defeated Tiafoe 6-7 (5), 6-4, 6-2 to advance to the Semis Final in Miami.

So for (what has to be) the first time in Canadian Tennis history there are 2 Canadian Mens players in the Final Four at a Masters 1000 event.

Wouldnt it be something if both advanced to the final. :D

Stay tuned. :popcorn:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Felix looking very mentally weak against Isner today. Broke Isner in each of the first two sets then completely falling apart trying to close out the final game of each set.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Felix looking very mentally weak against Isner today. Broke Isner in each of the first two sets then completely falling apart trying to close out the final game of each set.

Felix gave away the match today. His double faults and unforced errors were the story.
Disappointing to be sure to see him buckle under the pressure of the moment.

Chalk it up a s a learning experience.

To me thats what separates FAA and Shapovalov at this point in time. Shapovalov manages the big moments better than FAA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad