OT: Canadian Tennis

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Isner gives everyone trouble. I don't like him as a player and I think he's probably one of the worst top 10 players of the last stretch of time, but guy has a monster of a serve and that's hard for most guys to deal with (not Djokovic though, he clowns Isner all the time)

I'll give an 18 year old kid a pass for letting nerves get the best of him.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Felix gave away the match today. His double faults and unforced errors were the story.
Disappointing to be sure to see him buckle under the pressure of the moment.

Chalk it up a s a learning experience.

To me thats what separates FAA and Shapovalov at this point in time. Shapovalov manages the big moments better than FAA.
Shapovalov vs the GOAT

Been waiting for this match up for some time now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Shapovalov vs the GOAT

Been waiting for this match up for some time now.

I hear you.
I like Shapovalovs trajectory...as an 18 year old he played and beat Nadal at the Masters event in Toronto. That is a major sign of mental toughness that he could do that in his home town against an Elite player.

Federer is playing excellent Tennis at this tournament. Should be a good one tonight. .:D

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Federer is old enough now that you never know what you're going to get out of the guy. He could be GOATerer or Federror could show up. Either way I imagine the biggest challenge for Shapovalov will be the mental game. I imagine it's daunting to play a guy who has been a professional player since before you were born.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Poor Dennis, Federer looks like a monster tonight.

Federer, Nadal and Novak.

They’re the best tennis players in the history of the game. I’m going on record to say that no youngster will be able to consistently win GS until these three guys all retire.

Federer at 75% of his prime is still better than 99% of the field.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Tough lesson for Shapovalov. Federer owned the court.

The Vets dished out plenty of quality education to the young Canadians today.

Still a very good showing for both FAA and Shapo. Lots to look forward to.
:nod:

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Federer, Nadal and Novak.

They’re the best tennis players in the history of the game. I’m going on record to say that no youngster will be able to consistently win GS until these three guys all retire.

Federer at 75% of his prime is still better than 99% of the field.

In any other generation Andy Murray and Andy Roddick would have won a boat load of grand slams... but Federer, Nadal and Djokovic... what monsters. They are responsible for an entire lost generation.

Reactions: Cloned

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bianca Andreescu has made it to the quarter finals at the Rogers Cup. She beat #5 seed Bertens (6-1, 7-6, 6-4) to get there.
Even if she loses in the quarter finals that would still be a very impressive showing. Especially considering that she has played almost 7 hours of match time so far in her first tournament back after rehabbing a shoulder injury.
Every match has been a 3 setter so far.

Bianca is a grinder. :nod:

She will play Pliskova on Friday.

Canada's Andreescu downs Bertens to advance to Rogers Cup quarters - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Bianca Andreescu has made it to the quarter finals at the Rogers Cup. She beat #5 seed Bertens (6-1, 7-6, 6-4) to get there.
Even if she loses in the quarter finals that would still be a very impressive showing. Especially considering that she has played almost 7 hours of match time so far in her first tournament back after rehabbing a shoulder injury.
Every match has been a 3 setter so far.

Bianca is a grinder. :nod:

She will play Pliskova on Friday.

Canada's Andreescu downs Bertens to advance to Rogers Cup quarters - Sportsnet.ca
Now that I’ve finally see her play a bit I feel like I can comment on her. Maybe it’s the Romanian heritage but Andreescu reminds me of Simona Halep. They’re similar in size and both of them are bull dogs on the court. Neither of them ever seem like they’re out of a point and as a result, out of a match. You’re right in calling her a grinder. She doesn’t quit. She makes her opponent work for everything they get. She’s the polar opposite of Genie Bouchard.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Now that I’ve finally see her play a bit I feel like I can comment on her. Maybe it’s the Romanian heritage but Andreescu reminds me of Simona Halep. They’re similar in size and both of them are bull dogs on the court. Neither of them ever seem like they’re out of a point and as a result, out of a match. You’re right in calling her a grinder. She doesn’t quit. She makes her opponent work for everything they get. She’s the polar opposite of Genie Bouchard.

I completely agree. She has a very high compete level...I like the Halep comparison in terms of her defence.
Its fun seeing her return a ball that would be a winner against most other players.

She also has the power in her game to compete with some of the bigger players like Serena.
Lastly she has the ability to execute any shot and she disguises it well. Really keeps her opponents off balance.

She really is a quality player.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Damn gutsy performance by Briana Andreescu today. Pulled her groin in the second set and looked like she’d have to retire and then battled hard in the third set to beat Pliskova. No quit in this kid at all. She’s fun to watch.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Damn gutsy performance by Briana Andreescu today. Pulled her groin in the second set and looked like she’d have to retire and then battled hard in the third set to beat Pliskova. No quit in this kid at all. She’s fun to watch.

Inspiring performance. She really is a gem.

Makes you proud to be a Canadian.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
She has #1 potential. Basically has everything in her game: power, speed, shot making. Needs composure but that will come with experience.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
...meanwhile, Serena drops the first set of her semifinal match against a qualifier 1-6.

I NEVER cheer for Serena...I respect her accomplishments but she is an absolute phony as a person IMO. As duplicitous as it gets.
All that being said in this case I like that she made it to the final.
I would like nothing more than to see Bianca hand her a loss.

Should be a very good match. :nod:

Reactions: Oilhawks

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I NEVER cheer for Serena...I respect her accomplishments but she is an absolute phony as a person IMO.
All that being said in this case I like that she made it to the final.
I would like nothing more than to see Bianca hand her a loss.

Should be a very good match. :nod:

Whaa?? Didn't you know that Serena ALMOST DIED??? Maybe you didn't, because she never ever mentions it in interviews (excluding the 95% of interviews where she does mention it). We must all respect her forever now.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Whaa?? Didn't you know that Serena ALMOST DIED??? Maybe you didn't, because she never ever mentions it in interviews (excluding the 95% of interviews where she does mention it). We must all respect her forever now.

Yeah...thats about it....lol

I am amazed that people actually cheer for her. Clearly the quality of the person doesnt matter to most.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Yeah...thats about it....lol

I am amazed that people actually cheer for her. Clearly the quality of the person doesnt matter to most.
She lost me after the way she behaved at the US Open last year. I watch a lot of tennis now but I didn’t become a serious fan until about 6 or 7 years ago. In that time I thought she was classy and a good ambassador for the sport. It wasn’t until that outburst that I went back and saw incidents through out her career that were really ugly. She can be a real sweetheart when things are going well for her but when they aren’t she’s quick to turn to bullying and intimidation and she doesn’t limit it to just her opponents.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
She lost me after the way she behaved at the US Open last year. I watch a lot of tennis now but I didn’t become a serious fan until about 6 or 7 years ago. In that time I thought she was classy and a good ambassador for the sport. It wasn’t until that outburst that I went back and saw incidents through out her career that were really ugly. She can be a real sweetheart when things are going well for her but when they aren’t she’s quick to turn to bullying and intimidation and she doesn’t limit it to just her opponents.

Its funny because I told my son when he was about 15 years old (and just broke things off with a very manipulative girlfriend) that the true version of people will come out when they get uncomfortable. When adversity strikes that's when the real version of someone will reveal itself.
I had to learn that the hard way....thought I would try and help him make better decisions in the future. :nod:

In any event I have been watching tennis for about 2 decades. I saw many of those Serena outbursts when they happened. It completely changed my view of her. As you said she puts on a lovely show when things are going well. She also does that when she thinks it will benefit her in some way.
When things go against her thats when shiny wrapping comes off and whats underneath is not pretty at all.
As you mentioned bullying and intimidation are her go to responses. The display at the US Open last year was a statement that she hasnt grown from any of those previous events. I found that so disappointing because I thought that maybe as she approached 40 she would have matured.
She clearly had not.
As I said I totally respect her amazing accomplishments as a player but I just cant bring myself to cheer for a person that acts that way in those situations.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bianca is an amazing young player. She just has such a complete toolkit. She has power, finesse, mobility, intelligence and endurance.
Most of all she has learned at a very young age how to access that part of herself which helps her to ignore the negative circumstances which might prevent her from reaching her goal.
She can rise above things that plants seeds of doubt...things like fatigue and injury.
That IMO more than anything will push her to be a top player in the world.
Thats the mark of a champion.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Well, that was a let down. I didn’t think Serena looked right yesterday but I thought she was just tired. Guess it was more. It can’t be easy for her running around the court at her size and age. In any event, congratulations to Bianca. She had an amazing tournament and such an amazing year when she’s been healthy enough to play.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Congrats to Andreescu. Tough run in the tournament, she earned it.

It is bad to think Serena was getting a sense that she was outmatched today and preferred to quit than give the satisfaction of being beat in a full match? :)

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
These two tournaments had really lousy finishes to them. Yesterday Monfils dropped out of his semifinal match against Nadal as well because weather forced him to finish his quarterfinal earlier the same day and he was too tired. It’s bad luck, of course, but I feel bad for the fans that shelled out the big money for the big matches and then didn’t get to see them.

Reactions: guymez

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Congrats to Andreescu. Tough run in the tournament, she earned it.

It is bad to think Serena was getting a sense that she was outmatched today and preferred to quit than give the satisfaction of being beat in a full match? :)
The thought crossed my mind but like I said, I didn’t think she looked right yesterday either. She could have dropped out after losing 1-6 in the first set then but didn’t. I just think she didn’t have enough left today to fight whatever is bothering her.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad