OT: Canadian Tennis

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
it's Indian Wells also. She will play Muguruza in a quarter final.
Nice to see some young Canadians having success at any rate.

Andreescu beat Svitolina 6-3, 2-6, 6-4 to advance to the Final. Amazing accomplishment.

What a great story...too bad there in no way to watch it.
Or is there?

If anybody knows how to do this and could PM me...I would be very appreciative. :D

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
TSN’s coverage has really dropped off in a lot of areas lately. No WTA events, haven’t seen the ladies play at all since the Australian Open. Also, they’ve lost the rights to Champions League and Europa soccer too. Lots of extra panel shows with loud mouthed idiots screaming at each other though so I guess it all balances out.

Perhaps that will change with Andreescu's recent success.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Andreescu just defeated Kerber 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 to win the championship game at Indian Wells.

What an accomplishment...real shame that virutally no one in Canada was able to watch it.
None the less this is an amazing story for Andreescu and Canadian tennis. :nod:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

That’s as impressive a run as it gets. I pointed out how weak the field was when Felix made it to a final a couple weeks ago. This is a completely different story. She beat a top notch opponent in every match of a stacked tournament. It’s rare anybody that wins a major can claim that. Like you said, it’s a shame nobody got to see it. This has to be one of the top sports stories of the year so far.

Reactions: Oilhawks and guymez

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’s an impressive win but I’ll play devil’s advocate and note that women’s tennis has been notoriously inconsistent in recent memory (outside of Serena, and even she is probably on the decline now). Top players are more vulnerable in this sport than any other.

It embodies “Any Given Sunday” more than the NFL.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
I watched it live. It was through dzan twitter feed. I think dzan owned the rights to women's tourney broadcast rights. Great win though! Pumped about it. Hopefully Canadians have a great run this year.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
It’s an impressive win but I’ll play devil’s advocate and note that women’s tennis has been notoriously inconsistent in recent memory (outside of Serena, and even she is probably on the decline now). Top players are more vulnerable in this sport than any other.

It embodies “Any Given Sunday” more than the NFL.
Agreed, but I'll point out that she is the youngest to win Indian Wells since Serena :)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Andreescu just defeated Kerber 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 to win the championship game at Indian Wells.

What an accomplishment...real shame that virutally no one in Canada was able to watch it.
None the less this is an amazing story for Andreescu and Canadian tennis. :nod:
Surprised that they didn't find a way to put the final on once they knew she was in final. Then again, I don't know that people care that much about women's tennis. Never heard anyone talking about tennis this weekend. Women's curling seemed to be a lot more popular

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Surprised that they didn't find a way to put the final on once they knew she was in final. Then again, I don't know that people care that much about women's tennis. Never heard anyone talking about tennis this weekend. Women's curling seemed to be a lot more popular

This would have been a ratings win for TSN (much moreso than the curling) so I think it has something to do with broadcast rights not being purchased.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
What’s happened is neither TSN nor Sportsnet wanted the Canadian rights for the WTA so TVA (I think this is a French language broadcaster) picked them up. Apparently one of either TSN or Sportsnet tried to work out a deal with TVA to show Andreescu’s matches but weren’t able to work something out. I’m not surprised TVA wanted to get paid here but I’m still surprised neither TSN nor Sportsnet saw the value in having it when they had the chance.

Reactions: guymez

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I’ve been hoping to see McDavid start dating Eugenie Bouchard for a while, call me a sucker for a good old fashioned royal couple but having Canada’s top male and female athletes smooshing ugliest could result in the ultimate CANADIAN athlete of all time.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
How was this not televised in Canada? What a disgrace. A major tournament win by a Canuck and not even on TV.

Ya, not televised on a major network, but the finals were streamed for free on Twitter with the help of Tennis Canada and DAZN:

Hopefully we get to see her on the TV today when she plays her first match at 7:30pm EST vs Irina Begu.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Andreescu beat Kerber again last night in Miami. By now everybody knows she won Indian Wells and is aware of how good she’s been playing. What I don’t think people realize is just how good. The 2019 tennis season started in Auckland on Dec 28th. Since then, her record this season is 31-3. Two of these matches were Federation Cup matches (women’s version of the Davis Cup) and the rest have been WTA events. She hasn’t padded her stats with Challenger or ITF events. It’s truly an amazing run.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Andreescu vs. Kerber III should be interesting...
It’d be nice if we could see it. I haven’t seen her play yet so I’ve got no idea if she’s as bad as Kerber thinks. The highlights of her Indian Wells press conference makes me think there might be something to it though.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
It’d be nice if we could see it. I haven’t seen her play yet so I’ve got no idea if she’s as bad as Kerber thinks. The highlights of her Indian Wells press conference makes me think there might be something to it though.

She's young and not polished in front of a camera/media. Kinda like Shapo in that regard.

Tennis needs more of this tbh. As long as she doesn't start acting like Kyrgios it's fine.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
She's young and not polished in front of a camera/media. Kinda like Shapo in that regard.

Tennis needs more of this tbh. As long as she doesn't start acting like Kyrgios it's fine.
This is kind of where I was going. I’m not much of a fan of Shapovalov’s antics. I still hope he wins because I’m a typical Canadian and support my own but if wasn’t Canadian... I don’t think he’s a terrible human being, I just get turned off by that crap as I think it ends up hurting yourself more than your opponent. I’m still hopeful it’s just a maturity thing with him and that he’ll grow out of it. That said, what he does is harmless compared to the degenerate Kyrgios is who will sink to any level if the mood strikes him.

All I’ve seen with Andreescu is the press conference at Indian Wells where she asked if it was all right to call herself the mother f***ing champion of Indian Well. The press conference and Kerber’s (who I’ve never heard complain about anyone) comments are enough for me to think something is up with her. It would be nice to see her play so I could see myself if she’s closer to Shapovalov or Kyrgios.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Only thing I’ve noticed is when she is down in a match she gets “whiny” for a lack of better words, her coach comes out to re focus her but she’s all down on herself and this or that hurts. So be it, the girl is kicking ass and only 18.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This is kind of where I was going. I’m not much of a fan of Shapovalov’s antics. I still hope he wins because I’m a typical Canadian and support my own but if wasn’t Canadian... I don’t think he’s a terrible human being, I just get turned off by that crap as I think it ends up hurting yourself more than your opponent. I’m still hopeful it’s just a maturity thing with him and that he’ll grow out of it. That said, what he does is harmless compared to the degenerate Kyrgios is who will sink to any level if the mood strikes him.

All I’ve seen with Andreescu is the press conference at Indian Wells where she asked if it was all right to call herself the mother ****ing champion of Indian Well. The press conference and Kerber’s (who I’ve never heard complain about anyone) comments are enough for me to think something is up with her. It would be nice to see her play so I could see myself if she’s closer to Shapovalov or Kyrgios.

She’s not disrespecting her opponents or the game like Kyrgios does. She’s just a 18 year old who is having a lot of sudden success and isn’t completely prepared for all of it.

Shapo is a little older so I’d expect more from him as he matures.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
She’s not disrespecting her opponents or the game like Kyrgios does. She’s just a 18 year old who is having a lot of sudden success and isn’t completely prepared for all of it.

Shapo is a little older so I’d expect more from him as he matures.

Completely agree. IMO there is no comparison to be made between Andreescu and Kyrgios.
Andreescu is very young and has had the spotlight thrown on her in short order.
Like you I dont see an issue here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad