OT: Canadian Tennis

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I hope so. Right now it looks like he could end up being a Taylor Hall of tennis. He might win a slam or two but his skills and processing might just be not quite elite enough in any one specific area to let him win consistently.

He has all the tools IMO.
He just needs to mature and I think having to listen to someone that (unlike his Mom) has actually won Grand Slams and can impart the qualities and commitment needed to get there.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He has all the tools IMO.
He just needs to mature and I think having to listen to someone that (unlike his Mom) has actually won Grand Slams and can impart the qualities and commitment needed to get there.

Hopefully.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I meant sustained.
Raonic never had a drop in play though, his tumble down the rankings was only due to injuries and not being able to hold onto his “points” because of it. He’s a guy that, when healthy, has always looked to be improving.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Raonic never had a drop in play though, his tumble down the rankings was only due to injuries and not being able to hold onto his “points” because of it. He’s a guy that, when healthy, has always looked to be improving.

He didn’t have the mobility needed to sustain his ranking though.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Not looking good for Raonic right now. Hope he can recover from the momentum shift.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Quite an achievement for Auger-Alliassime. He just became the youngerst player (from any country) to reach a final of an ATP 500 Final.

For anyone thats interested (and it might only be @rboomercat90 and @Cloned :D) the Final is tomorrow at 1:00 pm on TSN2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cloned

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Quite an achievement for Auger-Alliassime. He just became the youngerst player (from any country) to reach a final of an ATP 500 Final.

For anyone thats interested (and it might only be @rboomercat90 and @Cloned :D) the Final is tomorrow at 1:00 pm on TSN2.
Good for him. I wasn’t sure what was going on with him since he had to bow out of the US Open with that medical condition. I saw he played in the Davis Cup a couple weeks ago so I knew he was back but when I didn’t see him at the Aussie Open I was worried he might have a big problem. I don’t know the exact extent of his issues but it was rumoured in the fall that he had a heart condition.

In any event, it’s nice to see he’s back and I will tune in to watch tomorrow.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Good for him. I wasn’t sure what was going on with him since he had to bow out of the US Open with that medical condition. I saw he played in the Davis Cup a couple weeks ago so I knew he was back but when I didn’t see him at the Aussie Open I was worried he might have a big problem. I don’t know the exact extent of his issues but it was rumoured in the fall that he had a heart condition.

In any event, it’s nice to see he’s back and I will tune in to watch tomorrow.

It was a surprise for me as well when I turned on TSN and saw that he was playing in an ATP 500 semi-final in Rio.
He looked really strong too...very talented player.

Should be fun tomorrow. :nod:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
It was a surprise for me as well when I turned on TSN and saw that he was playing in an ATP 500 semi-final in Rio.
He looked really strong too...very talented player.

Should be fun tomorrow. :nod:
I looked at that field and was kind of surprised that was an ATP 500 event. That was one week field, lol. Thiem was knocked out in the first round but Fognini was the 2 seed. I don’t know anything about the guy he’s playing tomorrow, I’ve never even heard of him. Good spot for the kid to pick up his first tour win.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I looked at that field and was kind of surprised that was an ATP 500 event. That was one week field, lol. Thiem was knocked out in the first round but Fognini was the 2 seed. I don’t know anything about the guy he’s playing tomorrow, I’ve never even heard of him. Good spot for the kid to pick up his first tour win.

Typically ATP 500 events are not targeted by the top players. They usually target the Master events and the obviously the Grand Slam events. Its quite common for the midrange players to target ATP 500 events and there are quite a few of them so they pick and choose.
Still I wouldnt denigrate this accomplishment for AA...its a great jumping off point IMO.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Typically ATP 500 events are not targeted by the top players. They usually target the Master events and the obviously the Grand Slam events. Its quite common for the midrange players to target ATP 500 events and there are quite a few of them so they pick and choose.
Still I wouldnt denigrate this accomplishment for AA...its a great jumping off point IMO.
Not trying to denigrate what he’s done. It is a great accomplishment. He’s ranked 90th in the world and not seeded here. Just pointing out it’s a weak field.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Worthy of mention...Auger-Alliassime just dismantled the #9 seed Tsitsipas 6-4 6-2 and moved on to the 3rd round of the Masters 1000 at Indian Wells. He had no trouble at all breaking Tsitsipas at love more than once.
Over powered him and ran him around the court.

Very impressive performance.

The rankings may not reflect it yet but I think Auger-Alliassime is on the cusp of being the best player in Canada. He is the real deal.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Latest Canadian update from Indian Wells...#24 seed Shapovalov dispatched #10 seed Cilic in straight sets 6-4 6-2

Shapovalov dominated the second set....Cilic is a top 10 player in the world so beating him in that way is quite an accomplishment.
So Denis is on a roll headed into the round of 16.

Auger-Alliassime was taught a lesson yesterday as he lost to an unranked player Yoshihito Nishioka from Japan.
Nishioka is a very mobile player that made Auger-Alliassime have to hit extra shots as he was returning shots that should have been winners. I think AA just tried to hit super tough shots as a result and the unforced errors cost him the match.

Meanwhile Raonic beat Marcos Giron 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 to advance to the round of 16 as well.

So still 2 Canadians left in the tournament.

Both play tomorrow.

Reactions: Oilhawks

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Latest Canadian update from Indian Wells...#24 seed Shapovalov dispatched #10 seed Cilic in straight sets 6-4 6-2

Shapovalov dominated the second set....Cilic is a top 10 player in the world so beating him in that way is quite an accomplishment.

Auger-Alliassime was taught a lesson yesterday as he lost to an unranked player Yoshihito Nishioka from Japan.
Nishioka is a very mobile player that made Auger-Alliassime have to hit extra shots as he was returning shots that should have been winners. I think AA just tried to hit super tough shots as a result and the unforced errors cost him the match.

Meanwhile Raonic beat Marcos Giron 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 to advance to the round of 16 as well.

Both play tomorrow.

I believe Andreescu won today as well.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Good to know. What tournament is that?
I haven't seen any women's matches at all at Indian Wells.
it's Indian Wells also. She will play Muguruza in a quarter final.
Nice to see some young Canadians having success at any rate.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Worthy of mention...Auger-Alliassime just dismantled the #9 seed Tsitsipas 6-4 6-2 and moved on to the 3rd round of the Masters 1000 at Indian Wells. He had no trouble at all breaking Tsitsipas at love more than once.
Over powered him and ran him around the court.

Very impressive performance.

The rankings may not reflect it yet but I think Auger-Alliassime is on the cusp of being the best player in Canada. He is the real deal.

I dream of an all Canadian Final Matchup at a grand slam event.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Both play tomorrow.
I watched the first set of this match and though Felix was well on his way. I turned the channel to watch the Raptors debacle in Cleveland and noticed later he lost. Hopefully he learns from it.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I doubt it, think TSN just shows the mens tour.
TSN’s coverage has really dropped off in a lot of areas lately. No WTA events, haven’t seen the ladies play at all since the Australian Open. Also, they’ve lost the rights to Champions League and Europa soccer too. Lots of extra panel shows with loud mouthed idiots screaming at each other though so I guess it all balances out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->