Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Aren't Leafs fans the ones constantly banging the drum on Tanev not being worth anything because he doesn't play full seasons?

Leafs fans aren't a hive mind. I haven't seen anyone say that, but I haven't really been watching out for it either, so I'm sure some have. And they'd be wrong. I'd love to have Tanev on my team.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Well there is a Leafs player who's never cracked 70pts who just got $11.5M...
That's what I was going to say....one only has to think about that statement for a few seconds before realizing how incorrect it is.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Aren't Leafs fans the ones constantly banging the drum on Tanev not being worth anything because he doesn't play full seasons?
Yep, same ones that love over paying their stars and not overpriced old people like Lucic. Oh, wait they have Marleau.

Reactions: dukeofjive

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
For anyone wanting to bring up Draisaitl, let me know when Matthews ever gets 70 points or cracks the top 20 in scoring in his career, or makes the 2nd round of the playoffs before you bring up players with a better resume.

uh Matthews was top 20 in scoring in his rookie year immediately after being drafted

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Clearly someone in Winnipeg,given the amount of RFAs they have to deal with

There's nobody in Winnipeg who leaks to media, and certainly not to Eric Francis. I think you can pretty easily figure out who his sources might be based on where he works and who used to work in that same city.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Matthews is a unicorn. Centres that are immediately one of the best goal scorers in the world don't come around very often. His deal shouldn't have any impact on RFA's because none of them are comparable. The Nylander deal will be used more often in comparisons.

As for the Flames whining, nothing new. Still upset they haven't managed to extort their taxpayers yet. Interesting that Tkachuk was discussing offer sheets like that. I wonder if he'd be receptive to leaving.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
You can not over pay star players like AM.

Connor McDavid takes a stupid underpaid deal and now any fair deal is apparently a massive over payment, because it's compared to McDavid's **** deal.

Hockey people are really stupid.

Yea this can’t be stated enough, if McDavid takes a shorter term type at the around the same AAV he has the power over the Oilers when he becomes a UFA. Now, he’s basically stuck in a contract he can’t re-negioate once the new TV deal rises the cap significantly. Wait till the contracts are doled out once that happens.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Lucic has nothing to do with the conversation at hand, which is 2nd contract for players coming off their entry deal.
Okay but chia f***ed the league with mcd and drai still. Everything else is a trickle down from that.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
We don't take injuries into account on HF anymore? He's a PPG since entering the league and one of the best goal scorers. Get over it.

You guys must of missed the point when a Leaf fan was criticizing Eichel and his contract because he "hasnt even hit 40goals yet" while ignoring hes also been injured and around PPG :laugh:

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Okay but chia ****ed the league with mcd and drai still. Everything else is a trickle down from that.

How in the world did Chia f*** the league with McDavid? The best player in the world was going to get paid no matter what. McDavid is worth every cent of his contract and more. I still do not get the hate that Draisaitl gets on these boards. He is held to some weird double standards and people love to rag on him. Even now his contract is looking pretty good considering he has 66 points this season. Was he a bit over paid? Perhaps, but asking him to produce with two fence posts is pretty silly. The Oilers are horribly built and that is not on Draisaitl.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
How in the world did Chia **** the league with McDavid? The best player in the world was going to get paid no matter what. McDavid is worth every cent of his contract and more. I still do not get the hate that Draisaitl gets on these boards. He is held to some weird double standards and people love to rag on him. Even now his contract is looking pretty good considering he has 66 points this season. Was he a bit over paid? Perhaps, but asking him to produce with two fence posts is pretty silly. The Oilers are horribly built and that is not on Draisaitl.
Uh no, before mcdavid, rfas did not get paid that much. He started paying rfas that much and the rest of the rfas took notice.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
what do you mean it isn't there? are you saying you wouldn't expect a player to score more with twice as much PP time? you can't compare players from different seasons straight up without taking context into account, because things like PP toi and leaguewide scoring vary
It's what Tim and Sid talked about. If you are paying him that much, play him a lot more, like more PP time. No guarantee he produces more.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Make more money and quit your whining.

Cap will go up and the food stamp teams will continue to toil in mediocrity.
All the whispering about offer sheets to screw with the leafs cap...:laugh:
There used to be a term for that...mutually assured destruction. Let that be a learning lesson to all.

Reactions: BM14

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Uh no, before mcdavid, rfas did not get paid that much. He started paying rfas that much and the rest of the rfas took notice.

If Edmonton tries to low ball McDavid then he gets an offer sheet and the Oilers match. There is not a single team in the league who would not pay his current contract. I cannot believe people are actually blaming Chia for paying the best player in the world who happens to be a back to back Art Ross winner "too much". He was getting that contract no matter what.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
I dont know if this has been said but 3 pages in and people are misinterpreting what the exec meant about incompetence. He was not talking about how much matthews is paid but how much of that money is paid up front with the majority paid in the 1st 2 years. Expecting other teams to do that is hard af. Thats what he meant about 'incompetence'. But to ne a person using thier best attributes to their own advantage is not incompetence, it's the opposite.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
If Edmonton tries to low ball McDavid then he gets an offer sheet and the Oilers match. There is not a single team in the league who would not pay his current contract. I cannot believe people are actually blaming Chia for paying the best player in the world who happens to be a back to back Art Ross winner "too much". He was getting that contract no matter what.

Well he was going to pay him more, but McDavid came back and shaved money off. He took one for the team. Matthews on the other hand was asking for 14-15 million on 8 years loll

Reactions: Seanaconda

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Well he was going to pay him more, but McDavid came back and shaved money off. He took one for the team. Matthews on the other hand was asking for 14-15 million on 8 years loll

I have read rumors about what Matthews was asking but I have seen nothing concrete. The Matthews contract is not great (go to the Toronto sub section and you will find a lot who agree) but it could turn out to be alright if Matthews stays healthy and produces. The issue is that we actually do not know what Matthews "normal" production is. When he is hot he is lighting up the league but then injuries/cold streaks happen. I do think this will hurt them with Marner and that contract could be bad for the league. We will just have to wait and see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad