Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Were the Pittsburgh and Chicago GM's incompetent when they signed Crosby, Malkin, Kane, and Toews to 5 year contracts expiring as UFA's when their ELC's were up? Why weren't they all signed for 8 years?

crosby first three years = 102, 120, 72 (in 53) signed for 8.7 15.3% of cap
Malkin first three years = 85, 106, 113 signed for 8.7 15.3% of cap
kane first three years = 70, 72, 88 signed 6.3 10.6% of cap
Toews first three years = 54. 63, 69 Signed for 6.5 10.6% of cap

Matthews signed closer to what crosby and malkin earned rather than his more comparables of toews and kane.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
stamkos scored 95 points and 91 points before signing that deal though. my point is matthews hasn't come close to those numbers.
I mean, you also have to look at context. Stamkos had 370 minutes of powerplay time in 2010/11. Matthews has only had 425 minutes of PP time in his total career so far. Don't you think Matthews would come close to those numbers (if not surpass them handily) if he was also on the PP that often?

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
I mean he hasn't come close because of an injury last season...If you think he is a top 10 player in hockey then you pay him like it. Him having a couple injuries doesn't make him less valuable on the ice and it isn't going to lessen what he is paid. I mean I am not saying it is a great contract I think it is like 1-1.5 million over what he is probably worth today. But do you really risk a player like Matthews going past July 1st over 1 million dollars?

my issue with his contract is he signed for his 8 year worth for only 5 years. which would assume his 8 year worth was around the 14-15 million mark which i don't see at all.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
I mean, you also have to look at context. Stamkos had 370 minutes of powerplay time in 2010/11. Matthews has only had 425 minutes of PP time in his total career so far. Don't you think Matthews would come close to those numbers (if not surpass them handily) if he was also on the PP that often?

i think if you are pulling out powerplay time on ice when it comes to contracts and comparing players this size your grasping at somethinisn'tat isnt there. not to mention it is easier to score now than before. Shouldnt need to do surgery on a grape if you know what i mean.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
i think if you are pulling out powerplay time on ice when it comes to contracts and comparing players this size your grasping at somethinisn'tat isnt there. not to mention it is easier to score now than before.
what do you mean it isn't there? are you saying you wouldn't expect a player to score more with twice as much PP time? you can't compare players from different seasons straight up without taking context into account, because things like PP toi and leaguewide scoring vary

Reactions: MattySnipes

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
So fans were happy at first because Leafs "overpaid" and now they realize they will have to pay too.

Gotta pay to play......

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Oh how mighty Dumbass the god has fallen! LOL.

For anyone wanting to bring up Draisaitl, let me know when Matthews ever gets 70 points or cracks the top 20 in scoring in his career, or makes the 2nd round of the playoffs before you bring up players with a better resume.

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
Make more money and quit your whining.

Cap will go up and the food stamp teams will continue to toil in mediocrity.

Flames also claim they need public money to build an arena. They love playing the poor card when they can.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
what do you mean it isn't there? are you saying you wouldn't expect a player to score more with twice as much PP time?

no im saying that its easier to score now than back then and Matthews is on the top powerplay unit so i don't know what else you would expect you dont just give out millions more (3 percent of cap more) because he gets less powerplay time.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
my issue with his contract is he signed for his 8 year worth for only 5 years. which would assume his 8 year worth was around the 14-15 million mark which i don't see at all.
I mean I guess we really aren't disagreeing. I just see the rational in signing the deal I suppose. Like I was expecting a 5 year deal for Matthews to fall slightly north of 10. I feel like that is probably where it should have ended up....I just don't think over paying a player like Matthews marginally is really the end of the world.

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
Oh how the mighty Dumbass the god has fallen! LOL.

For anyone wanting to bring up Draisaitl, let me know when Matthews ever gets 70 points or cracks the top 20 in scoring in his career, or makes the 2nd round of the playoffs before you bring up players with a better resume.

Maybe direct that anger towards your own ownership and GMs. But don't worry the Oilers wont have to pay anyone for a long long time as they have the only two good players they have locked down. Chill.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
I mean I guess we really aren't disagreeing. I just see the rational in signing the deal I suppose. Like I was expecting a 5 year deal for Matthews to fall slightly north of 10. I feel like that is probably where it should have ended up....I just don't think over paying a player like Matthews marginally is really the end of the world.
yeah you're right and its not, and frankly i don't care what Matthews gets paid, but rantanen is RFA and im nervous.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
For those who have a goldfish memory inside their 10 cent head, I'll remind it was the Eichel and Draisaitl deals that increased the value of the Nylander and Matthews deals.

Reactions: Devonator

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not saying that Matthews should have the second highest cap hit in the league, because he's not the second best player in the game. But what's with all the biased Leafs haters in this thread parroting the same tired and intellectually dishonest line of "Matthews has never scored 70 points in a season before"? The attempt to paint him as a 60-something point calibre player is just weird. He has 98 goals and 179 points in 183 career games.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Love it. Just the way the markets going, enjoy signing your RFA's other teams!

Right back at ya!! Leafs should be ok though with master negotiator Kyle Dubas on the job. :thumbu:

Draisaitl contract looks like a steal next to Matthew's at this point.

As long as McDavid stays in the lineup it does.

Although honestly I am starting to think they need each other more than I originally thought. Especially when they basically only have each other to generate any type of offense.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Incompetence of Chirelli is more likely to effect the League. Lucic on his contract is FAR worse. Draisaitl Draisaitl continued the trend, although not as bad. Beyond the Oilers there is that $10M goalie with what, 7 years left? And the $10M player who has never cracked 40 goals with 8 years left?

I get it, you hate the Leafs, but this is pretty sad even for you.

Draisaitl was a fantastic deal in light of the deals coming out now. Locked up for 3 UFA years too.

Top 5 goal scorer, 7th in points. What a phenomenal player.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I'm not saying that Matthews should have the second highest cap hit in the league, because he's not the second best player in the game. But what's with all the biased Leafs haters in this thread parroting the same tired and intellectually dishonest line of "Matthews has never scored 70 points in a season before"? The attempt to paint him as a 60-something point calibre player is just weird. He has 98 goals and 179 points in 183 career games.
Aren't Leafs fans the ones constantly banging the drum on Tanev not being worth anything because he doesn't play full seasons?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad