Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Man the owners should just find some way to communicate and collude somehow. Just control the salaries together.

Then you won;t run into a "Dubas" situation that drastically changes the landscape.

Better yet, don't blow your wads on players who don't deserve it. One GM always ends up ponying up and overpaying somebody that way.

Give the star players their money and make the rest play for peanuts.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
People are blaming the Leafs for an inevitable outcome, much in the same way people torched Trouba for recognizing what is hopefully now obvious to everyone:

Agents see what's happened to their older clients, who are retiring or playing elsewhere on average four or five years earlier than they used to because no one wants to pay for mediocrity come July 1st. Peak performance is coming under team control, a clear disadvantage to RFAs.

I think we're headed for another half-season because of this issue, which is complicated both within and without the NHLPA.

Reactions: Mathmew Purrrr Oh

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I would like for someone to explain how Dubas handing out fair contracts will somehow cause a lock out. How is that even connected in your head?

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I’d like to see some players sign offer sheets this summer. Laine might be a prime example where the player and the team have vastly different ideas of his worth. If he signed an offer sheet for $10 million, would Winnipeg match?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
8.5 M for a top 5 goal scorer this season is bad now.

The Draisaitl contract wasn't much of a push forward. The idea that it ruined RFA contracts is way overblown. Most young guys have been signing 8-10 percent of the cap on 6 year type terms for years. Draisaitl got around 11 percent on an 8 year term. The contract has aged very nicely and if the Oilers opted to bridge Draisaitl, it would have ended up being a huge mistake. He'd be pushing for 10-12 million on a long term extension for a third contract.

The McDavid and Draisaitl contracts are two of the only positives in Chiarelli's tenure.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I would like for someone to explain how Dubas handing out fair contracts will somehow cause a lock out. How is that even connected in your head?
1 - The contract isn't a fair deal. Matthews got the best absolute contract he could have got. A dream for a player. There was ZERO compromise. UFA after. No dollar discount for a 5 year term.

2 - People who think it leads to a lockout do not understand how it works. Owners get their piece of the pie.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Well he was going to pay him more, but McDavid came back and shaved money off. He took one for the team. Matthews on the other hand was asking for 14-15 million on 8 years loll

Matthews was willing to sign for something in the 12 million range on an 8 year deal at the start of the season per Friedman. Toronto got cold feet, or didn't want to do it, then Matthews heated up and this ARZ offer sheet rumor business started. That's when the ask on his part seemed to go sky high.

Toronto had to be afraid of an offer sheet, that's the only reason you sign this contract now rather than make Matthews work for it negotiating through the summer. Considering Matthews' numbers so far this season, the only place for Matthews value to go is down or stay the same, so logically why commit now? It's not like he can go any higher than asking 14 or 15 million (depending on which rumour is true) on an 8 year deal. The logical reason they did this now is either they are incompetent, or it is that they have an indication if this goes beyond July 1st they would have lost control of the situation via an offer sheet.

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
1 - The contract isn't a fair deal. Matthews got the best absolute contract he could have got. A dream for a player. There was ZERO compromise. UFA after. No dollar discount for a 5 year term.

2 - People who think it leads to a lockout do not understand how it works. Owners get their piece of the pie.

1. AM wanted 8 years, so he didn't get everything he wanted, so that is just false. You are right there was no discount, that does not mean it wasn't fair.

2. Yeah, it's baffling. Escarow or Olympics seem to be the only thing that could possibly cause a lock out.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013

Younger players pulling most of the money creates a level of uncertainty for the club while giving guaranteed stability to the player. You're paying a premium for a player that is not an entirely known quantity (let's say, Nylander) relative to a free agent who is 27+ and certainly a known (mediocre) quantity. Nylander could improve drastically or get worse and then you've shot yourself in the foot years earlier than you had to. As a GM, you're increasing risk by paying a premium for an RFA.

We have the opposite situation now. Most younger players have no leverage and no options, regardless of how well they perform and especially so if they improve. Some players - Couturier, Scheifele - are underpaid relative to their importance. The only ones who aren't getting fought hard by GMs are on the McDavid, Matthews level for obvious reasons: they are clearly top 10 players in the league. But when a Draisaitl gets the contract he does - where he was prematurely rewarded for a small body of work (even if he's a great player) - it opens up an opportunity for similar short- term performances to be rewarded and GMs are now making the same dumb mistakes but earlier in the process, which will f*** a team up even more. You're operating with less information than you used to.

And lost in all of this is that a whole bunch of mid-tier players are getting squeezed by the cap hits of star players and the cheapness of players on ELC. Guys who are on the wrong side of 25 can't be too happy with the current climate.

These young stars should get rewarded, it's absolutely logical that they do. But a lot more pain is coming to other, non-star players and fans of teams with dumb GMs. That's why a lockout might be on the horizon. And Dubas isn't to blame for any of this.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I find it somewhat funny because I would wager the teams upset about this are A.) ones that have yet to sign their big ticket RFAs this year, and/or the same team that leaked to the media that they planned on offer-sheeting Toronto's players.

These teams forced Dubas' hand into signing Matthews to a non-ideal contract so the Leafs had clarify when signing Marner.

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
I find it somewhat funny because I would wager the teams upset about this are A.) ones that have yet to sign their big ticket RFAs this year, and/or the same team that leaked to the media that they planned on offer-sheeting Toronto's players.

These teams forced Dubas' hand into signing Matthews to a non-ideal contract so the Leafs had clarify when signing Marner.
Dubas just caved and gave Matthews everything after setting a president he’s a fool with the noodleander deal.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Hold on, I've been hearing all season about how other teams were going to offer Matthews or Marner a contract to screw up the Leafs' cap. You're telling me the Leafs gave Matthews a contract to screw up other teams' caps? Is that like poetic justice or something?

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
After Marner's contract the Leafs are going to have over $40 million tied up in 4 players. That's insane.
Add in $5 million each for Rielly and Andersen, and you're left with maybe $32 million to fill out the remaining 17 roster spots. They're going to have to rely on a lot of rookies and reclamation project type players, it'll be interesting to see how it works out for them.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Matthews was willing to sign for something in the 12 million range on an 8 year deal at the start of the season per Friedman. Toronto got cold feet, or didn't want to do it, then Matthews heated up and this ARZ offer sheet rumor business started. That's when the ask on his part seemed to go sky high.

Toronto had to be afraid of an offer sheet, that's the only reason you sign this contract now rather than make Matthews work for it negotiating through the summer. Considering Matthews' numbers so far this season, the only place for Matthews value to go is down or stay the same, so logically why commit now? It's not like he can go any higher than asking 14 or 15 million (depending on which rumour is true) on an 8 year deal. The logical reason they did this now is either they are incompetent, or it is that they have an indication if this goes beyond July 1st they would have lost control of the situation via an offer sheet.

If the rumour is true..... how come this wasn’t reported in the summer? We knew that the contract was gaining steam now and. The number days in advance..... if the rumour was true and it was a done deal then, we would have found out about it

Teams talking offers and deals in the summer. The numbers mean nothing until it s on paper. The camp could have said that then got cold feet. It doesn’t mean anything 8 months later

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
20 mill to Nylander and Matthews. Leafs deserve the Cap Hell they are going to be in.
We also deserve the frigen great players we stock piled. Suckers.

That's the only response I can give... because you guys have been chewing on your nails about our Leafs....finally found your ammo eh?

• Won't win the lottery. Failed tank!
  • Won't sign Babcock. Bad coaching!
  • Won't sign a big fish. No one actually wants to sign in Toronto!
  • Won't sign all your guys. Prepare the offersheets!
  • Overpaying everyone. Cap hell!
  • Won't get out of the first round. Rinse repeat!
  • Won't win the cup. Not made for playoffs!
  • Won't hand the cup to the right player. No real captain!
  • Won't parade down the right street. !!!!

Keep narrowing it down... starting to run out of runway.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Hold on, I've been hearing all season about how other teams were going to offer Matthews or Marner a contract to screw up the Leafs' cap. You're telling me the Leafs gave Matthews a contract to screw up other teams' caps? Is that like poetic justice or something?

Dubas is a genius, he flipped the narrative and now other GM's are upset. :laugh:

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
And how's that workin out for ya?
For those guys? GREAT

I'm talking about big guys and big contracts. I'm not talking about our garbage depth :)

The Oilers signed their big guys. Matthews doesn't do much for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00