Canadian Team Executive says incompetence of Matthews Deal will affect the rest of the League

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Dubas did not do well with the Matthews deal at all. He rushed it for no reason.

Im OK with overpaying a 22 y/o superstar, but he could've done better.

I dont blame him on the Nylander deal cause he literally waited until 5 minutes left. He used damn near all the time he could've.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
He has alluded more than once as teams using bonus money as “circumventing the cap”.

In the end, it's still 79.5 this year though. Whether they pay it all in the first, or the last day of the year, it all comes out the same in the end. Can these teams not budget themselves accordingly or does the league need to assign people who can add and subtract to micromanage them.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
People keep saying "Compare cap percentages. It's a totally fair deal" and ignore that you can't compare 5 year and 8 year contracts as though they're equal.
exactly 8 year deals you pay for potential knowing you will get a deal down the line. matthews deal essentially says this is what you are worth today and im sorry but there is no way he is worth 11.634 million dollars today.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
exactly 8 year deals you pay for potential knowing you will get a deal down the line. matthews deal essentially says this is what you are worth today and im sorry but there is no way he is worth 11.634 million dollars today.
It is an over pay...slightly. There are other 5 year contracts off ELC that this deal can be compared too. So let's say he is over paid by a million. Who really cares when he is as good as he is.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
It is an over pay...slightly. There are other 5 year contracts off ELC that this deal can be compared too. So let's say he is over paid by a million. Who really cares when he is as good as he is.

what deals can this be compared to? crosby the guy who had 2 100 point seasons his first two years? this is my point, he is good no doubt but he is not 11.634 million good. if he wanted that number it should've been 8 years and you pay for that potential ala eichel and draisaitl contracts.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Incompetence of Chirelli is more likely to effect the League. Lucic on his contract is FAR worse. Draisaitl Draisaitl continued the trend, although not as bad. Beyond the Oilers there is that $10M goalie with what, 7 years left? And the $10M player who has never cracked 40 goals with 8 years left?

I get it, you hate the Leafs, but this is pretty sad even for you.
is this a joke? 8.5 million for a guy about to score 40 goals and probably put up 90+ points seems like cake compared to Matthews deal or even Nylanders.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
what deals can this be compared to? crosby the guy who had 2 100 point seasons his first two years? this is my point, he is good no doubt but he is not 11.634 million good. if he wanted that number it should've been 8 years and you pay for that potential ala eichel and draisaitl contracts.
Stamkos. 5 year deal at 11.66 % of the cap. Matthews is what like a little under 14%? Like I said it is a slight over pay. Nothing to really cry about though.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
The only incompetence in the Matthews deal is it will allow him to walk in 5 years

Were the Pittsburgh and Chicago GM's incompetent when they signed Crosby, Malkin, Kane, and Toews to 5 year contracts expiring as UFA's when their ELC's were up? Why weren't they all signed for 8 years?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
stamkos scored 95 points and 91 points before signing that deal though. my point is matthews hasn't come close to those numbers.
I mean he hasn't come close because of an injury last season...If you think he is a top 10 player in hockey then you pay him like it. Him having a couple injuries doesn't make him less valuable on the ice and it isn't going to lessen what he is paid. I mean I am not saying it is a great contract I think it is like 1-1.5 million over what he is probably worth today. But do you really risk a player like Matthews going past July 1st over 1 million dollars?

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Cry is free.. Im sure this GM would have been a lot happier if they got matthews and willy signed for way under market value too right?

your dammed if you do, dammed if you dont

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad