Canadian Starting Goalie for 2014 Olympics

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
A lot can happen in 3 years. You can have goalies who breakout and those who decline. If the Olympics were to start tomorrow, I'd say Price would be the goalie to beat for the starter position.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Wow you people. Luongo has the best record and stats of any long-tenured Team Canada goalie ever; and yet you want to run him out of town. :huh::loony:

Luongo Team Canada (senior):
23gp, 17-2-3-4, 1.94gaa,

If you watched the last olympics, we sure didn't win because of Luongo. he was adequate and that's about it.
I think he always seems to have good stats when it doesn't mean anything.

you can keep him.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'll go a little different...

First will be Luongo.. the defacto veteran.
My surprise pick would be a highly performing Crawford.
and then one of MAF/Price/Ward...

Last edited:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
All luongo has done is win gold after gold for canada. People not having him on the team are delusional.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
All luongo has done is win gold after gold for canada. People not having him on the team are delusional.

The rest of the team won gold. The next Canadian team will not be as good as the last couple which means we need a great goaltender. We've seen how Lou held up when the team in front of him fell asleep in the SCF. No thx.

sarahjane14

Dec 16, 2010
Newfoundland
Luongo will be included if for no other reason because he's a veteran goalie, someone who's been in the toughest games for Canada and won. Doesn't hurt he's a damn good goalie. We all know that his lows are low, but when he's good, he's freaking awesome.

Price, Fleury or Ward fill in the two other spots.

Garfinkel1

Jun 28, 2008
CT
stats are a big part, but it doesnt tell the whole story. while watching the gold medal game, you could see the difference between luongo and miller. luongo looked shaky while miller oozed with confidence. i felt worried everytime team USA went a rush.

during this season, and the mtl/bos series, carey price seemed to exude that confidence that miller had. if price keeps it up for the next 2 years, id like to see price start.

my order would be: price, maf (paid his dues as a 3rd string goalie for olympic team and one of the best goalies in the league) and ward.

I might be nit-picking but MAF "One of the best goalies in the league?"

I think that's a gross exaggeration.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Price and Ward unless they fall apart by then are virtual locks IMO.

One of Luongo, Fluery, Bernier, Mason will be the other one. Theres surprises but I doubt anyone else will be good enough by then. Mason could easily get his career back if he gets his work ethic back and he has a great chance if he does, if Bernier wrangles the starters job he's got a good chance. Then theres Fluery and Luongo who will need to keep up good work for the next 3 years IMO. Not sure if they can do it.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Price or Ward.
Luongo rounds out the trio.

I think that--barring any massive changes over the next couple of years--this will be how it plays out.

Hockey Canada has some sense of loyalty to vets, so Luongo may begin the Olympics as the starter. But if he falters, expect one of Price or Ward to take his place just as Luongo did for Brodeur in 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad