Canadian Soccer Part II

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is the Gold Cup a true continental tournament or simply a cash grab friendly tournament to help fill the pocket of beyond corrupted concacaf people?

I enjoy it as a fan. It's fun to watch Canada have a chance at winning something, I also have friends from Jamaica that love the competitive nature of it. I think a lot of the smaller teams and their fans do not see it as just a cash grab and look forward to the tournament beginning.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I see a lot of boring games with a lot of play acting and awful refereeing in front of half empty big stadiums. Should be every 4 years as well.

Very much looking forward to the Women World Cup.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I see a lot of boring games with a lot of play acting and awful refereeing in front of half empty big stadiums. Should be every 4 years as well.

Very much looking forward to the Women World Cup.

Personally I see it differently but that's fine; agree to disagree.

The Womens World Cup will be fun. I hope both the Mens and Womens team can get some good results this summer.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Here is the full list if someone did not see it yet

Very glad to see the likes of Edwards on the list, will he be fit enough to be on the final list? We shall see, he is our best option at LB ... I was gutted to not see Liam Fraser, who has the potential to be better than Eustaquio IMO and our best DM, but then realized what Herdmans plan may be, he knows Bradley is gone for at least a month and possibly the best opportunity for Fraser to show he is MLS ready. Also no CPL players.

Mexico will be without Vela who withdrawn from the tournament as usual and Diego Lainez who is at the U20 World Cup.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Drove to York in wild traffic today, got dumped on with rain again and again, and then the game got delayed....

Forge pulled out with the victory and 3 massive points, now just need cavalry to lose today....

Reactions: sabremike

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
June 22: Forge v Cavalry is shaping up to be a huge game. If Forge keep pace that could the game to win the Spring season!

Reactions: sabremike

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
So is CPL model similar to Mexico's Apertura/Clausura system?

Yeah that would be a good comparison. Does Mexico have much fewer games in the first season? or are they balanced?

Spring CPL season is only 10 games and then the Fall is almost double that at 18.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
That's the format for the first season, it will change next year surely with a real championship.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
That's the format for the first season, it will change next year surely with a real championship.

There is a real championship this year. Winner of the Spring schedule gets a seed in the finals and the same goes for the Fall Season winner.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yes. Like EPL SerieA LaLiga Eredivisie RussianLeague Bundesliga Ligue1...

The worst is apertura+clausura+playoffs crap.

In between is MLS but 14/24 teams in the playoffs is ridiculous.

Let's say next year CanPL has 10 teams you could have 4 top teams in the playoffs max.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Let's say next year CanPL has 10 teams you could have 4 top teams in the playoffs max.
The problem is that comparing MLS to Europe is apples to oranges because Europe has both continental competition and pro/rel that means every game is important at both the top and bottom of the standings. With limited playoffs 90% of the teams would be playing meaningless games which would be death at the box office.

Back to the topic: does anyone know the reason for an imbalanced split season?

Reactions: Pouchkine

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

The long time goal is to have more teams and then transition to that kind of finals. They thought the league would sell better to casual Canadian fans if there was a traditional final

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Yeah for this year alone. Casual Canadian fans don't watch CanPL I'm sure of that. Hardcore soccer fans do!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah for this year alone. Casual Canadian fans don't watch CanPL I'm sure of that. Hardcore soccer fans do!

I mean the Hardcore were and will be at the games regardless of the format. A traditional final will bring in a ton of casuals out, it also just adds a marque event to the calendar in the first year which helps the publicity side of things.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You could make the final the top 2 teams of the "regular" season no need to split the regular seasons in 2 seasons that's my point.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The problem is that comparing MLS to Europe is apples to oranges because Europe has both continental competition and pro/rel that means every game is important at both the top and bottom of the standings. With limited playoffs 90% of the teams would be playing meaningless games which would be death at the box office.

Back to the topic: does anyone know the reason for an imbalanced split season?
I agree with the league positions in Europe and the importance of CL Europa and Relegation.

That's why here you have no choice to have playoffs, but not crap like MLS with 14/24 in the playoffs. Maybe 8/24.

CanPL 2/7 this year would have been fine, 4/10 eventually. And no split seasons please.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
You could make the final the top 2 teams of the "regular" season no need to split the regular seasons in 2 seasons that's my point.

Oh yeah for sure, that sounds great. With this format it really made every game feel extra important for so early on in the year which has been fun to follow.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The winner of the first season what do they play for in the second one? If Cavalry wins the spring season and finish last in the fall what happens? That's my point...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The winner of the first season what do they play for in the second one? If Cavalry wins the spring season and finish last in the fall what happens? That's my point...

Yeah definitely would be an interesting scenario. I doubt they do end up in last int he spring, but if they did the finals would still be competitive. The league is proving to be pretty competitive.

As the CPL expands I do hope they change up how the title is given out. I know the extremely long term goal is to have to 10 team leagues and do promotion\relegation

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Promotion\Relegation works where soccer is the #1 sport mostly. I'm not sure It will ever work in North America not before 20-30 years at least.

You have to remember something here in North America we have the best league in the world in Hockey-Baseball-Football-Basketball. CFL is #2 and on a major decline.

So with MLS being maybe the 15-20th best league in the world it's always gonna be tough, samething with CanPL where we have a huge advantage is that soccer is now so popular here.

Do you think the NHL would be that popular if it was the 5th best league in the World? Or if all the best basketball players were in Europe or the best baseball players in Asia...

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Promotion\Relegation works where soccer is the #1 sport mostly. I'm not sure It will ever work in North America not before 20-30 years at least.

You have to remember something here in North America we have the best league in the world in Hockey-Baseball-Football-Basketball. CFL is #2 and on a major decline.

So with MLS being maybe the 15-20th best league in the world it's always gonna be tough, samething with CanPL where we have a huge advantage is that soccer is now so popular here.

Do you think the NHL would be that popular if it was the 5th best league in the World? Or if all the best basketball players were in Europe or the best baseball players in Asia...

20-30 years would fit the long term goal time frame, honestly it may even be longer than that. We may never see Promotion/relegation but it's a fun plan/dream to have for Canada.

The CFL is fine and close to expanding to a 10th team, it's all good.

Obviously all the leagues would take popularity hits if they were not the best in the world, but i'm not sure as to how that is relevant. A lot of second tier leagues and below have popularity, Euro League basketball does decently well, same with some of the domestic leagues for European hockey. China does well with a lot of their domestic sports, etc etc. People will watch the big leagues for the stars factor but they will still cheer for the local teams as it is fun and accessible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad