Canadian Soccer Part II

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
May 29th vs Edmonton. My rep Chris DeSouza told me it's valid on everything in the store (like how my STH discount for the Sabres Store is good on Bandits, Bills and Amerks stuff).

Where are your seats for the game?

I highly recommend moving to the supporters section no matter where your seats are. It can feel dead in other areas

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I know I said this pre-Sunday Forge game but this is basically already must win territory for the Hammer. Need to get 3 points to stay in contention for the first spot in the Finals

Reactions: sabremike

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Huge road win for Forge. 5 games into their existance and they have already gotten a pretty noticeable pattern to their play. Dominate in scoring changes, capitalize on few of them, and then have terrible stretches of Defense where they look like they could leak up to 5 goals!

Borges imo has been the best player on the team thus far. I would love to see more from Bekkker and Nanco; both have been good but they were brought in expected to be of the better players in the league.

Reactions: sabremike

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Anyone going down to any games? Thinking about buying tickets to the double header on the 23rd in North Carolina

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Why is this crap tournament always in the United States? Makes Concacaf look like an even bigger joke.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Why is this crap tournament always in the United States? Makes Concacaf look like an even bigger joke.
Do you think it should be held in El Salvador or the Dominican Republic? There are literally 3 countries in the entire confederation with the infrastructure to hold the event, and the US by far is the best place to hold it for numerous reasons (the first being that just about every CONCACAF nation has significant ex pat communities in this country).

Reactions: Basement Cat

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You don't understand the logic behind a continental competition do you? Mexico and Canada for sure should host it then you could have joint bid with smaller countries to help GROW AND DEVELOP the game and stadiums there. At the moment the Gold Cup is viewed everywhere and here included as the biggest joke tournament there is in world football.

Portugal didn't have the infrastructure either before hosting Euro 2004. Poland-Ukraine as well.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Portugal didn't have the infrastructure either before hosting Euro 2004. Poland-Ukraine as well.

In what sense? Portugal had the stadiums and the built up tourism industry to more than suffice.

I get the sentiment though, the US is the obvious safe choice for hosting and it makes sense. They have the population, the massive stadiums, and the accommodating for all the athletes. That being said it would be interesting to see the Gold Cup have a cluster of Islands host it together or something along those lines. It's just much more of a risk.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
In what sense? Portugal had the stadiums and the built up tourism industry to more than suffice.

I get the sentiment though, the US is the obvious safe choice for hosting and it makes sense. They have the population, the massive stadiums, and the accommodating for all the athletes. That being said it would be interesting to see the Gold Cup have a cluster of Islands host it together or something along those lines. It's just much more of a risk.
Portugal did not have the stadiums at all. Almost all if not all of the stadiums for Euro 2004 were new. Without Euro 2004 stadiums in Portugal would be like in Italy today only smaller...

So why isn't the Copa America always in Brazil or the Euro always in Germany?

Let's say this year Canada got to host the Gold Cup, we already have some decent stadiums but just maybe some CanPL teams could have used the $ coming in to build new soccer specific 15k stadiums?

I see no reason at all why the Gold Cup couldn't rotate between Canada Usa Mexico CostaRica and some joint bids. At the moment it's a fake cash grab friendly tournament. It's not good either for the US National Team.

At this point the Gold Cup is like what the Canada Cup was in hockey without the quality and excitement!

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You don't understand the logic behind a continental competition do you? Mexico and Canada for sure should host it then you could have joint bid with smaller countries to help GROW AND DEVELOP the game and stadiums there. At the moment the Gold Cup is viewed everywhere and here included as the biggest joke tournament there is in world football.

Yes because that idea worked so well in Brazil, which spent a fortune on gigantic stadiums that are basically empty in many of the cities they were built. Believe the same is true of South Korea as well. And you realize that the size (both in population and economically) of the 3 European countries you mentioned dwarfs pretty much every CONCACAF nation except the big 3?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You still don't understand. A real continental competition should rotate between countries as host. Simple as that, this is how you grow the game and make it a real competition. Of course the USA could have it more often that others but you should rotate. Until then the Gold Cup is a laughing stock and as a USA fan you should clearly understand how this is hurting your own national team. You don't improve without adversity and real tough competition. Always playing at home in this tournament isn't doing your team any service.

The Gold Cup usually is 12 teams you don't need 10 gigantic stadiums. Even a country like Costa Rica could host it alone.

Go see the stadiums for the U20 World Cup in Poland this year.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Portugal did not have the stadiums at all. Almost all if not all of the stadiums for Euro 2004 were new. Without Euro 2004 stadiums in Portugal would be like in Italy today only smaller...

So why isn't the Copa America always in Brazil or the Euro always in Germany?

Let's say this year Canada got to host the Gold Cup, we already have some decent stadiums but just maybe some CanPL teams could have used the $ coming in to build new soccer specific 15k stadiums?

I see no reason at all why the Gold Cup couldn't rotate between Canada Usa Mexico CostaRica and some joint bids. At the moment it's a fake cash grab friendly tournament. It's not good either for the US National Team.

At this point the Gold Cup is like what the Canada Cup was in hockey without the quality and excitement!

I mean the Stadiums across the board in Europe are just nicer and more plentiful, many different countries could host with no added infrastructure needed.

I don't really know if we need more stadiums at the moment in Canada, I think we could host tomorrow with no real issues. The US is using 16 or so different venues this year which seems unnecessary; we would be fine with what we got in terms of CFL stadiums, BMO, etc. I guess the question becomes how many stadiums does a country need to really host? Costa Rica has 4 or 5 stadiums over 15k, probably a little short on what is needed, not terrible though. At least this time around both Jamaica and Costa Rica have been somewhat integrated in hosting with each having a double header in the group stage. It's a start..

I agree with you in rotating the tournament location,it would be great for the sport. But is understandable as to why they keep going back to the US, it's just the safest choice. That does not mean it's the right choice though.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Portugal only used new stadiums for Euro 2004 it was the same with Ukraine-Poland. Without the Euro Money they would have old and inadequate stadiums today like in Italy.

Those countries USED THE MONEY from the tournament to build new stadiums, that's my whole point countries like Jamaica and Costa Rica could really use the income to build a couple modern stadiums. Not gigantic ones, but decent soccer stadiums...

Is the Gold Cup a true continental tournament or simply a cash grab friendly tournament to help fill the pocket of beyond corrupted concacaf people?

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You still don't understand. A real continental competition should rotate between countries as host. Simple as that, this is how you grow the game and make it a real competition. Of course the USA could have it more often that others but you should rotate. Until then the Gold Cup is a laughing stock and as a USA fan you should clearly understand how this is hurting your own national team. You don't improve without adversity and real tough competition. Always playing at home in this tournament isn't doing your team any service.

The Gold Cup usually is 12 teams you don't need 10 gigantic stadiums. Even a country like Costa Rica could host it alone.

Go see the stadiums for the U20 World Cup in Poland this year.
Jesus Christ have you EVER seen any Gold Cup game we've ever played vs Mexico or almost every Central American team where 95% of the crowd is rooting for the opponent and tossing bottles, batteries, bags filled with piss and anything they can get their hands on at the American players and fans?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad