Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
You act like it’s guaranteed the leafs would beat the Oilers in the playoffs. The arrogance is not a good look. We will see what happens if we meet.
I'm not saying it is guaranteed at all. I'm simply saying what the Oilers have done against the other teams is irrelevant as the Oilers were playing well heading into our games and then we won. Impossible to predict what will happen in a 7 game series though

The90

Feb 27, 2017
For sure we both agree that analytics are flawed. The problem with having a strong opinion about other teams when you only watch them when they play your team means your strong opinion is largely uninformed.
‘Your team beat mine, and that’s all your opinion is made from. You should see us play ottawa’ -theorangedesk

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I see Winnipeg getting their act together and being a difficult opponent in the playoffs. They may very well be the team to avoid.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
A loss in rounds 1 or 2 is a massive failure and changes will need to be made. A loss in round 3 isn't necessarily a failure. It depends on who they play and how the series unfolds. If they get swept, obviously that's a failure. If they took a very good Las Vegas team, for example, to 7 games and Vegas goes on to win the cup, is that really a failure?

Definitely depends on how that series goes. But agreed that a loss in round 1 or 2 should be unacceptable.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
We definitely agree with the bolded. But those first 4 games the oilers were definitely the better team imo. Obviously we both have biases so probably wont agree. The next 3 oilers came out on fire but I’m pretty sure our goalies let in 3 goals on the first several shots. Game was over as soon as it began. Sucks but not indicative of the oilers imo. The last 2 oilers had good goaltending but the leafs skaters played better. If you actually think the oilers are garbage besides 2 players I’m not sure there’s much point in continuing this conversation. I’m not a leaf fan but I’m perfectly capable of admitting they are a good team...

I don't think it's really debatable. Remove McDavid and they're on the outside looking in, likely a lottery team. The rest of the team is not good. It's been their biggest weakness all year especially vs Toronto. Keefe line matches them hard to try and "neutralize" McDavid. Unless McDavid or Drai are on the ice, it feels like theres no threat. Edmonton lives and dies with McDavid. As phenomenal of a player as he is, I just don't find that to be a winning formula.

McDavid has 93 points, Draisaitl 75 after that there's a massive drop off, you got Barrie with 44. And these 3 are practically glued together, since about game 10ish Barrie comes on the ice with McDavid for over 60% of his TOI. Next highest after that is RNH with 33 points.

McDavid and Drai combined have 168 points
The rest of Edmontons forwards who've played a game this year have a combined 166 points. (16 players)

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
That truly is an amazing stat.

Yeah it's pretty insane. I had to go over it like 5 times lol I thought it was wrong but nope. It's pretty indicative of the on ice product as well. Their entire game pretty much runs through those 2 guys. Harass the top line and play them hard, and the rest of the game is fairly easy. At some point you need your 2nd/3rd/4th line to start contributing. I don't see how a team that dependent on two guys can make some real noise in the playoffs. If one of them gets hurt, forget about it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It was a humorous jab. Idk why people are taking it so seriously tbh.

Because the internet is serious business and one should always evaluate a person's ability to analyze hockey based on a single, solitary post that wasn't even meant as overly serious.

The irony being a few Jets fans "liked" my post and saw a similar humor/interesting fact out of it. I guess those Jets fans that liked my post also didn't watch the game.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Because the internet is serious business and one should always evaluate a person's ability to analyze hockey based on a single, solitary post that wasn't even meant as overly serious.

The irony being a few Jets fans "liked" my post and saw a similar humor/interesting fact out of it. I guess those Jets fans that liked my post also didn't watch the game.
In hindsight, it's even funnier because it so was obviously not meant to be serious. I also think because there are so many guys on this forum there's almost like this innate aggression. That and well reading comprehension...

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
I don't think it's really debatable. Remove McDavid and they're on the outside looking in, likely a lottery team. The rest of the team is not good. It's been their biggest weakness all year especially vs Toronto. Keefe line matches them hard to try and "neutralize" McDavid. Unless McDavid or Drai are on the ice, it feels like theres no threat. Edmonton lives and dies with McDavid. As phenomenal of a player as he is, I just don't find that to be a winning formula.

McDavid has 93 points, Draisaitl 75 after that there's a massive drop off, you got Barrie with 44. And these 3 are practically glued together, since about game 10ish Barrie comes on the ice with McDavid for over 60% of his TOI. Next highest after that is RNH with 33 points.

The rest of Edmontons forwards who've played a game this year have a combined 166 points. (16 players)

You’re right, calling Smith, RNH, Pulju, Yamamoto, nurse, Barrie, bear, and Larson trash is just objectively wrong.
Oilers have arguably the best player in Canada at all 3 positions this year. McDavid, Nurse, and Smith will all be up for awards with how well they’ve played.

If its not a winning formula why have the oilers finished top 10 in the league the last 2 years? Of course this team over relies on McDavid and they don’t have the same depth as contenders but if they did then they’d be first in the league. The Oilers are a good team, obviously the leafs are better and that shows in the standings with the leafs slightly ahead in points% but if you think the Oilers are an easy matchup for leafs then I don’t think you’ve looked far beyond your blue colored glasses

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

I mean it's the not "the formula" we chose. It's what we're dealing with for the time being because of Chiarelli's stupid moves and tying down a ton of our cap room.

We'll be able to gain greater depth in the coming 1-2 years.

We're making due with what's here, and quite frankly a lot of this board said it would take 2-3-4 years when Chiarelli was fired for Holland to make even a playoff team here and that was obviously wrong. They've put together winning records in both the last two seasons even with minimal depth.

Smith deserves consideration for the Vezina and Nurse for the Norris as well ... their seasons are being overlooked because McDavid's season is so spectacular. If they were on a different team with the numbers they have they'd be getting a lot more attention.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
As a Leafs fan, I'm not confident at all playing any of Edmonton, Winnipeg or Montreal and I'm guessing most fans from all three others teams feel about the same. This division is much closer than it appears. Anyone feeling otherwise should relax. It's gonna be a fun ride.
I’m in the same boat. Should the leafs win? I feel like yes. But we do need our yearly embarrassment lol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

The Oilers were an awful team while McDavid and Draisaitl were giving elite play. The Oilers outside these two are pretty good now. Get rid of any nhl team's elite players and sure, they might have a hard time making the playoffs. Okay.. and?

The percentage of the offense is not much an argument. Those two rightly get the puck funneled to them the most. If they weren't here, other players would get more chance for points. If they were on any other team they would still have a massive proportion of offense.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
But he's exactly correct, though. That's Maurice's game plan. Jets do well when Hellebucyk stands on his head and if they have an abnormally high shooting percentage.
were talking about the game last night.... helle didn't have to stand on his head what so ever and we clearly had the better chances in the game....

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You’re right, calling Smith, RNH, Pulju, Yamamoto, nurse, Barrie, bear, and Larson trash is just objectively wrong.
Oilers have arguably the best player in Canada at all 3 positions this year. McDavid, Nurse, and Smith will all be up for awards with how well they’ve played.

If its not a winning formula why have the oilers finished top 10 in the league the last 2 years? Of course this team over relies on McDavid and they don’t have the same depth as contenders but if they did then they’d be first in the league. The Oilers are a good team, obviously the leafs are better and that shows in the standings with the leafs slightly ahead in points% but if you think the Oilers are an easy matchup for leafs then I don’t think you’ve looked far beyond your blue colored glasses

Because of the best player in the world and arguably 2nd best player in the world.

I've seen the actual games played and the Oilers outside of McDavid/Draisaitl have been extremely underwhelming. You don't have to agree, you're defending your team and that's perfectly fine. Any real fan would do the same. It's the depth beyond those 2 that should be a major concern. I've seen the way the Leafs matched up against Edmontons top line and basically forced Edmontons depth players to win/lose the game. I'm just not sold on the team beyond those 2. You need the 2nd line and role players to chip in. When the top 2 players outscore every single other forward to play for the team combined, it's alarming.

McDavid is quite obviously the best player in the world. Strongly disagree with Nurse/Smith. Helly is still the top goalie in the North and Petry the top D-man in the North.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
The Oilers were an awful team while McDavid and Draisaitl were giving elite play. The Oilers outside these two are pretty good now. Get rid of any nhl team's elite players and sure, they might have a hard time making the playoffs. Okay.. and?

The percentage of the offense is not much an argument. Those two rightly get the puck funneled to them the most. If they weren't here, other players would get more chance for points. If they were on any other team they would still have a massive proportion of offense.

Totally. Anytime The other team ices the puck, mcdavid or drai are out there
Anytime there is a power play, mcdavid or drai are out there the entire time
Anytime delayed penalty, those 2 go out

Oilers focus all their offensive players onto one line and leave the other 2 for pk, defensive work. Which makes it an uphill battle for any offense for anyone not playing with them. Is it ideal? Maybe not but its what works best for the oilers current depth

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015
Because of the best player in the world and arguably 2nd best player in the world.

I've seen the actual games played and the Oilers outside of McDavid/Draisaitl have been extremely underwhelming. You don't have to agree, you're defending your team and that's perfectly fine. Any real fan would do the same. It's the depth beyond those 2 that should be a major concern. I've seen the way the Leafs matched up against Edmontons top line and basically forced Edmontons depth players to win/lose the game. I'm just not sold on the team beyond those 2. You need the 2nd line and role players to chip in. When the top 2 players outscore every single other forward to play for the team combined, it's alarming.

McDavid is quite obviously the best player in the world. Strongly disagree with Nurse/Smith. Helly is still the top goalie in the North and Petry the top D-man in the North.

But there’s a difference between ‘oilers only have 2 good players’ and ‘oilers are different team when those 2 are off the ice’ the oil are deep enough to surround both players with good players when they are playing. McDavid and drai on on the ice for at least half a game typically when they are on separate lines and those are the minutes the oilers tilt the ice. When the bottom 6 are on, their job is mostly to play low event hockey. Oil have also built a solid defense to support the forward this year.

I would also award it to Petry but Nurse absolutely has a case for best or second best dman in Canada this year. Obviously Hellebuck has a better track record but this year Smith has outplayed Helly, at least according to the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad