Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
As a Leafs fan, I'm not confident at all playing any of Edmonton, Winnipeg or Montreal and I'm guessing most fans from all three others teams feel about the same. This division is much closer than it appears. Anyone feeling otherwise should relax. It's gonna be a fun ride.

That's the thing with playing within the division eh? With every game being a "4 point game"... I mean, we win two games against you, we could be in 1st. We split with Ottawa there could 4 team fight for 3 playoff spots right now. I say could cause won't say that is what would be....cause we just don't know lol :)

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I mean it's the not "the formula" we chose. It's what we're dealing with for the time being because of Chiarelli's stupid moves and tying down a ton of our cap room.

We'll be able to gain greater depth in the coming 1-2 years.

We're making due with what's here, and quite frankly a lot of this board said it would take 2-3-4 years when Chiarelli was fired for Holland to make even a playoff team here and that was obviously wrong. They've put together winning records in both the last two seasons even with minimal depth.

Smith deserves consideration for the Vezina and Nurse for the Norris as well ... their seasons are being overlooked because McDavid's season is so spectacular. If they were on a different team with the numbers they have they'd be getting a lot more attention.
Do they? Maybe. Probably a stretch.

The McDavid factor is so huge it is difficult to gauge them fairly especially if McDavid sweeps all the offensive awards / MVP wards.

Smith - I don't think so since he has not played enough. Ranked 23rd in games played and 22nd in shots faced.

Nurse - sits 16th in points and 17th in PPG.

TheOrangeDesk

May 27, 2015

The McDavid factor is so huge it is difficult to gauge them fairly especially if McDavid sweeps all the offensive awards / MVP wards.

Smith - I don't think so since he has not played enough. Ranked 23rd in games played and 22nd in shots faced.

They certainly wont win, but deserve to be in the mix for some 3-5 place votes

Smith is 9th in wins even though he missed a month and 6th in sv% (more than 10 games played). Obviously not the best in the league but pretty darn good. His age will get him votes

Nurse is tied for first in even strength goals, 7th in even strength points, and 1st or 2nd in ice time per game
Nurse is also facing very tough competition this year (that’s high I’m the top right)

They have both been very good this year, pleasant surprises for me

Attachments

• 020453FE-429C-4A16-9319-3B00103E3722.jpeg
    020453FE-429C-4A16-9319-3B00103E3722.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: snag

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'm not saying he should get it...but I thought the Norris was "greatest all round" and not a defensemen scoring title.
What it says it is and how the votes happen are not necessarily the same thing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The team was 3-6 to start the season with Smith hurt, since he's come back I think they have the 2nd or 3rd best record in the entire NHL, his win percentage is sky high so is his save percentage for a 39 year old is unheard of.

Nurse is no.2 for D goals, no.1 in the league for D plus/minus, no.1 for 5 on 5 goals by a D, and he's been in the top 10 for overall scoring for big stretches of the year. He doesn't get a ton of PP time I believe he is near tops for NHL D in ES points.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
What it says it is and how the votes happen are not necessarily the same thing.

True. So true. And that totally explains why a guy only 8 goals ahead on the Rocket and 30 points back of the Art Ross leader who is on the verge of doing what nobody thought would happen in 56 games is still thought to be in the Hart consideration by a certain market.

Stupid PHWA

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Also when people say there's a big drop off from McDavid, Draisaitl, to the 3rd leading Oilers scorer -- Barrie at 44 points .... 44 points is a shit ton of points for a D-Man, lol.

He's 2 points shy of the 3rd highest point getter on the Leafs too (Tavares has 46 points).

Barrie has more points than any forward (or any player) on the Flames, Canucks, Canadiens, and Senators.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
True. So true. And that totally explains why a guy only 8 goals ahead on the Rocket and 30 points back of the Art Ross leader who is on the verge of doing what nobody thought would happen in 56 games is still thought to be in the Hart consideration by a certain market.

Stupid PHWA

I think McDavid's a complete shoo-in for the Hart but wouldn't a nominee = "in the Hart consideration"? Matthews almost certainly should be a nominee, no?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Yeah it's pretty insane. I had to go over it like 5 times lol I thought it was wrong but nope. It's pretty indicative of the on ice product as well. Their entire game pretty much runs through those 2 guys. Harass the top line and play them hard, and the rest of the game is fairly easy. At some point you need your 2nd/3rd/4th line to start contributing. I don't see how a team that dependent on two guys can make some real noise in the playoffs. If one of them gets hurt, forget about it.

It's even crazier though, while on the ice McDavid is outscoring entire teams such as Detroit. Sure, it sounds simple enough to line match McDavid and neutralize the threat. If he's on you can't neutralize him. Not so simple. If McDavid is gonna score 3 points he's going to score 3 points. Nothing you can do. Just pray he can't do that enough to take a series.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I think McDavid's a complete shoo-in for the Hart but wouldn't a nominee = "in the Hart consideration"? Matthews almost certainly should be a nominee, no?

Oh absolutely....but things like the "closer than you think" articles come out like today and you think "clickbait" or f***ing idiot.

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
With a leafs win tonight and an Edmonton loss... That almost guarantees the leafs #1seed.. maybe with 1 more point or another Edmonton loss. Right?

Also if Matthews scores #40 and all this happens tonight.. the leafs should sit the whole line up and play the taxi squad and some Marlies till playoffs.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Saturday night was the Leafs first win in the month of May since Game 5 of the ECF against Carolina on May 25, 2002. Please stay humble.

What does that have anything to do with the current team? The current team is one of the best in the league. That's all that matters.

Reactions: Mitchy

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Saturday night was the Leafs first win in the month of May since Game 5 of the ECF against Carolina on May 25, 2002. Please stay humble.
This is incredibly irrelevant, but worth pointing out that the Leafs played the Bruins in May 2013 and did win some games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad