Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Still much better than winning the last Cup from 1967. I wonder if you saw the Leafs raised the Cup? At least I saw the Habs raised the Cups in both 1986 and 1993.

Nice but you're actually bragging about not winning a cup in 28 years.. ? The leafs will contend for the cup over the next little while, meanwhile Montreal is stuck in no mans land.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For the LEafs, success this year is winning a round. Parading regular season stats does nothing. Winning the division in regular season but failing to win even 1 round is a failed season. I am a Leafs fan.
I raise you, not making it out of the North will be considered a failure.

I was just going to say. If you're the class of the division (which the Leafs seem to be right now) and you're the favorite for at least the first two rounds, wouldn't losing in the second round also be a failure? If you lose in round two, you lost to a team that was below you in the standings.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I was just going to say. If you're the class of the division (which the Leafs seem to be right now) and you're the favorite for at least the first two rounds, wouldn't losing in the second round also be a failure? If you lose in round two, you lost to a team that was below you in the standings.

Well, I am just trying to contain expectations. Keeping the bar low. I want to win a round first. I guess you guys are right, though, not making the final 4 could also be considered a failure this year.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Yup, for all the shit talking and the way the regular season has gone and how they've played, I expect them to make it out of the North. I'll make an early prediction and say they win in 6 vs Montreal in RD1, and win in 7 vs Winnipeg in round 2.

With the structure this year and elevated play from several players, not making it out of our own division will be a failure. A lot of us are calling this team contenders, how can we be happy with being bounced out of the 2nd round ? There's no Boston/Tampa that we have to go through, we're not playing a top 5 team in round 1 or even round 2 for that matter, no excuses they need to make it out of the North.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Yup, for all the shit talking and the way the regular season has gone and how they've played, I expect them to make it out of the North. I'll make an early prediction and say they win in 6 vs Montreal in RD1, and win in 7 vs Winnipeg in round 2.

With the structure this year and elevated play from several players, not making it out of our own division will be a failure. A lot of us are calling this team contenders, how can we be happy with being bounced out of the 2nd round ? There's no Boston/Tampa that we have to go through, we're not playing a top 5 team in round 1 or even round 2 for that matter, no excuses they need to make it out of the North.
The Leafs avoided their Bruin curse last year!

Reactions: Lolonegoal

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The Leafs avoided their Bruin curse last year!

And sadly still lost, Keefe was out coached. Going with Tavares - Matthews - Marner as the 1st line and Nylander centering the 2nd line was a terrible decision and we got punished in game 5 for it.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Nice but you're actually bragging about not winning a cup in 28 years.. ? The leafs will contend for the cup over the next little while, meanwhile Montreal is stuck in no mans land.
How would you feel if the Habs win the series against the Leafs this year. Regular season means nothing in the playoff. I like our chance.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Easy, folks. We have no idea what the injury report will look like in May. IMO this is the biggest factor. Might sound funny, but healthy Vancouver would likely beat beaten up Toronto.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Yeah, the divisional format this year is the perfect opportunity to win two rounds. Not taking advantage of that could be painful if/when the NHL goes back to the normal divisions.

The North is the one division that doesn't really have two favorites. So the other three divisions will theoretically see two "contenders" meet in the second round. Other than Toronto, I don't see any of the other teams as "contenders" so they're guaranteed not to face a contender until at least round 3.

I just think, all factors included, anything less than winning 2 rounds would be a disappointing season. The Leafs are likely never going to get as good a chance at making it to the third round as this season.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Euh oh, Nylander out for precautionnary covid reasons.
Possible drama incoming.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I raise you, not making it out of the North will be considered a failure.
I raise you that unless they win the semi final, the haters will argue ‘they never would’ve won a round of not for the North division’

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I raise you that unless they win the semi final, the haters will argue ‘they never would’ve won a round of not for the North division’

I raise you that even if they win the semi final, or even the Stanley cup itself, the haters will argue that “they only one because of a gimmick year and deserve an asterisk

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
Hope Nylander tests negative.
Question, has there been any cases of 1 team passing it to their opponents during games?

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Maybe the best way to describe it rather than "failure" is a wasted opportunity. I think the wasted opportunity would be if they didn't win the cup, let alone fail to win a round again. If you have a team capable of winning the cup and have the advantage of a relatively easy path to get there, you are wasting an opportunity. It might not be an all-in last chance kind of year, but you don't know many chances you will have as the league is always evolving. Teams below them could get better and new powerhouses could emerge.

Things may look good for the next few years with their main stars locked up, but most of their D and Tavares are in their 30s. They have questions in their net long term. They might not be able to grab cheap vets to fill those depth spots as easily as they could this year down the road. Lots can change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad