Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
As a Western Canadian would rather see a division of California, Seattle and Vancouver. It sucks watching Saturday evening Canucks vs Leafs at 4:00pm local just to keep Toronto happy.

As a Jet fan I agree. I much rather have them back in the central division hopefully as soon as next season so they play more games in their own time zone. In the north division the Jets and Canucks are always playing in another time zone when they go on the road.

Reactions: SamInVan

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I like losses like last night for the Oilers just to remind their management that this team is not good enough. I know they don't have much room to make moves at the deadline, but the roster as is will not create much excitement going into the playoffs.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
The Leafs have gone 7-0-1 in their last 8 games with 1 goal on the powerplay. I don't think the Leafs are afraid of a 5v5 battle. Montreal is probably the team best equipped to slow the Leafs down though.

For sure, not saying the Leafs are bad at 5-on-5 but MTL is 2nd in the league just behind Colorado in most 5-on-5 stats.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
No, a miracle run is his miracle play that is not going to continue.

His last season above 50 GP was in the AHL and he had a .914 save percentage. Last year in his 20 games before joining the Leafs he was at .900 and in 6 games with the Leafs was .915.

There is no chance he keeps numbers even close to this if he is relied on as a starter for a season.

Also, Helle's only been very good this season, not the miracle worker he was last season.

Helle has 17 saves above expected in 31 gp (.54) this year (2nd league wide behind Vasilevskiy). Last year he was 24 in 58 (.41)

5v5, Jets are

77 GF 71GA

expected

74 GF 88GA

So it seems like again this year Helle is the most important piece of this team!

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
How cute a Leaf fan crowing about dusting a bottom team, meanwhile they haven't won a meaningful game since 2004. Congratulations?

As a Canucks fan this is a dangerous comment to make lol, 1994/2011

lol also amnesia from the Sedin years ?? I think you forgot how toxic and hated your entire fan base was during that time.

Reactions: Heritage

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Vancouver has had much much more success than the laughs in the past decade. The only franchises leaf fans can really chirp is like Buffalo ,Edmonton, Coyotes, Florida . Y'all gotta chill :laugh: Guys have a decent team once in 50 years and dont know how to act

I respect your teams history, I respect that you truly are the best team historically in the NHL, but the kettle shouldn't yell at the pot for boiling water when its plenty full (of recent failures).

Last edited:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
4 playoff teams pretty much set. just a matter of positioning. as an outside fan I think Toronto is the team to beat with Winnipeg being my next choice

Really depends IMO. Flames and Montreal have 5 games against each other (i.e. 10 pts up for grabs). If Flames win all 5 against montreal; it wouldn't be pretty much set yet.....

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Right now the 4 PO teams are basically set so I guessing that the 4 PO teams will end up in this order

TOR
WPG/EDM interchangeable
MTL

If the order is like I wrote above it will be
Edm vs Wpg
Tor vs Mtl in the 1st round of the POs

Who do you think wins their 1st round?

I'd say
Wpg in 6
Tor in 6

Truth be told; I think montreal is a freakin' gritty team and would be hard to beat in the playoffs especially with Price in net.

That said, Toronto Vs Montreal in the playoffs is a TV Ratings wet dream. HF servers might explode :laugh:

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Minor correction the Canucks actually have 3 finals appearances.

Fair deal and thanks for the correction.

Maybe this is just me, but why do people brag about finals appearances? Yes you won rounds, but you fell short of the title.

I will never understand bragging about how good you looked at losing to the better team. Every coach goes in with the same mindset, cup or bust.

Certain individual accolades are nice but the end result is always the same. You want the cup, not the participation trophy.

Reactions: libertarian

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver has had much much more success than the laughs in the past decade. The only franchises leaf fans can really chirp is like Buffalo ,Edmonton, Coyotes, Florida . Y'all gotta chill :laugh: Guys have a decent team once in 50 years and dont know how to act

Since 1994 every single Canadian team sucks. Period. That's almost 30 years. Longer than many folks here have even been alive.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
"Miracle Run"

He's 9-0 and hasn't had to steal a single game.

This is what the Leafs team is with competent goaltending.

I think last night, Campbell made some HUGE saves while Markstrom gave up some softies IMO. The score doesn't do justice to the way the game was played

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Helle has 17 saves above expected in 31 gp (.54) this year (2nd league wide behind Vasilevskiy). Last year he was 24 in 58 (.41)

5v5, Jets are

77 GF 71GA

expected

74 GF 88GA

So it seems like again this year Helle is the most important piece of this team!
Damn, last time I had checked those numbers via Micah he wasn't that close to the top! Somehow we still have a Helle hater or 2 left in our fanbase, I may have to just copy and paste this everytime he posts lol.

I definitely agree he is the most important part of the team though, no argument there.

Reactions: KKforprez

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Thats fine but some teams have been competing during that time and entertaining people with decent competitive hockey and some have been in the bottom of the league for the whole time lmao

so there was a team from 1994-2019 that was bottom the whole time? Please, share with me this bottom dwelling team. I'll wait.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Thats fine but some teams have been competing during that time and entertaining people with decent competitive hockey and some have been in the bottom of the league for the whole time lmao

No actually. Since 1994 Toronto has missed the playoffs 12 times and won a grand total of 9 playoff rounds. Only two Canadian franchises have won more playoff rounds (and barely more). That isn't to prop Toronto up, it is to illustrate just how much Canadian franchises have sucked.

Any Canadian franchise fan arguing about who has been better over almost 30 years is the equivalent of arguing who should be valedictorian of the less intelligent.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I don't think it's fair to say 0 championships = sucks. There have a lot of good teams in Canada since then.

A lot would be a massive stretch. I'm not even talking Cups, just bloody playoff rounds won. 7 teams times almost 30 years is close to 200 separate opportunities and between them all they've only managed about 50 playoff rounds won.

SwollenGoat

Sep 23, 2008
South River
Fair deal and thanks for the correction.

Maybe this is just me, but why do people brag about finals appearances? Yes you won rounds, but you fell short of the title.

I will never understand bragging about how good you looked at losing to the better team. Every coach goes in with the same mindset, cup or bust.

Certain individual accolades are nice but the end result is always the same. You want the cup, not the participation trophy.
As a Bills fan I’ve never “bragged” about our Super Bowl appearances, 2nd place or last place it’s all the same...

Reactions: Auston Escobar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad