Canadian Division (Canada Cup) Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Edmonton's gotta be feeling good it's extremely unlikely they play Montreal in the first round.
The Jets are the most likely opponent and probably the Oilers best chance to advance. Then again that could change as well if Chevy improves their D.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Since 1994 every single Canadian team sucks. Period. That's almost 30 years. Longer than many folks here have even been alive.
Define "sucks".

By your definition, every year 30 out of 31 teams "suck".

That's just too depressing for me. Would I like the Jets to win the Stanley Cup? Of course! Will they do it in my lifetime? I don't know. Does that mean they always "suck"? Nope!

I've cheered for teams that have had mediocre years, but got hot at the right time and won championships, and they aren't all that much fun, looking back. On the other hand, teams that show big improvements and play entertaining hockey leave me with fond memories, even when they don't win the Cup. The 2017-2018 Jets were phenomenally fun to watch, even though they didn't win the Cup. Same thing with the 1981-1982 Jets team that went from 32 points to 80 points for the best one-season improvement in NHL history. I remember those two teams with a lot of happiness.

On the other hand, my Canadian Football League team once stumbled into the playoffs with an 8-8 record but won the Grey Cup. That one day was a lot of fun, but the rest of the season? Meh. Another year they won 14 straight games, finished 14-4, and choked. A much more enjoyable year, with a bad ending.

You can not win the championship and also not "suck". The two are not mutually exclusive.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Define "sucks".

By your definition, every year 30 out of 31 teams "suck".

That's just too depressing for me. Would I like the Jets to win the Stanley Cup? Of course! Will they do it in my lifetime? I don't know. Does that mean they always "suck"? Nope!

I've cheered for teams that have had mediocre years, but got hot at the right time and won championships, and they aren't all that much fun, looking back. On the other hand, teams that show big improvements and play entertaining hockey leave me with fond memories, even when they don't win the Cup. The 2017-2018 Jets were phenomenally fun to watch, even though they didn't win the Cup. Same thing with the 1981-1982 Jets team that went from 32 points to 80 points for the best one-season improvement in NHL history. I remember those two teams with a lot of happiness.

On the other hand, my Canadian Football League team once stumbled into the playoffs with an 8-8 record but won the Grey Cup. That one day was a lot of fun, but the rest of the season? Meh. Another year they won 14 straight games, finished 14-4, and choked. A much more enjoyable year, with a bad ending.

You can not win the championship and also not "suck". The two are not mutually exclusive.

I thought I was pretty clear? No mention of championships. Winning more than a handful of playoff rounds in almost 30 years.

I mean, when a team can miss the playoffs almost half of that span and still be near the cream of the crop for rounds won.....that's pretty bad.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
"Miracle Run"

He's 9-0 and hasn't had to steal a single game.

This is what the Leafs team is with competent goaltending.

IMO, miracle run isn't just about constantly stealing games. It also includes not really costing teams games by not giving up a bunch of bad goals. Even the best goalies in hockey will have games where they cost their team a game here or there with a bad night. I don't think Campbell's had that yet, so that's part of his "miracle run".

I also don't think Campbell's had one of those "bad luck" games where even if he's playing well, all the bounces seem to go against him.

I think both of those are also factors in "miracle run" and not just him stealing game after game.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Take away Montreal's 9 overtime loss points and they're on the outside looking in.
There is no such thing as OT loss points. It doesn't exist and never did. Teams that are tied at the end of 60 minutes have always earned a point. That's how hockey has worked since the beginning.

The extra gimmick point is the one given to the team that wins a contrived 3-on-3 or shootout contest. Dislike gimmick points? Remove the points from teams that won in OT/SO.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Maybe Leafs fans will get the same opportunity just have to actually win a round first.

I know Vancouver only has one major sports team so they wouldn’t get it, but Toronto has more than just the Leafs. Both other teams have had had disappointing playoff exits and no one in the city has thought destroying where they live is an appropriate response.

Last edited:

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Fair deal and thanks for the correction.

Maybe this is just me, but why do people brag about finals appearances? Yes you won rounds, but you fell short of the title.

I will never understand bragging about how good you looked at losing to the better team. Every coach goes in with the same mindset, cup or bust.

Certain individual accolades are nice but the end result is always the same. You want the cup, not the participation trophy.
It’s pretty hard to make the finals. Coming out of your conference is definitely an accolade.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
IMO, miracle run isn't just about constantly stealing games. It also includes not really costing teams games by not giving up a bunch of bad goals. Even the best goalies in hockey will have games where they cost their team a game here or there with a bad night. I don't think Campbell's had that yet, so that's part of his "miracle run".

I also don't think Campbell's had one of those "bad luck" games where even if he's playing well, all the bounces seem to go against him.

I think both of those are also factors in "miracle run" and not just him stealing game after game.
If I didn't pay attention to the poster I could've easily assumed you're a leafs fan who watched every game -- kudos on a pretty accurate description and good assessment of Campbell there.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
"Miracle Run"

He's 9-0 and hasn't had to steal a single game.

This is what the Leafs team is with competent goaltending.

Lol at thinking this is simply “competent” goaltending. He has 14 goals against on 21xGA. What’s his record if he gives up those 7 extra goals in 9 games? Filip Gustavsson is on a similar hot streak over a short sample.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There is no such thing as OT loss points. It doesn't exist and never did. Teams that are tied at the end of 60 minutes have always earned a point. That's how hockey has worked since the beginning.

The extra gimmick point is the one given to the team that wins a contrived 3-on-3 or shootout contest. Dislike gimmick points? Remove the points from teams that won in OT/SO.

Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but that's not true. When the NHL introduced the 5 minute sudden death OT in 1983, and until they introduced the "loser point" in 1999, a team didn't get a point if they lost in OT. It was considered simply a loss.

LaTenderness

Feb 9, 2019
Montréal still seems firmly planted in the drivers seat of this division. This is right about the time the late season collapse begins in Maple Laugh town. Tomorrow night will be a glimpse of just how much stronger Montreal is from top to bottom. I’m fully expecting it to get ugly for the poor Leafers.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Montréal still seems firmly planted in the drivers seat of this division. This is right about the time the late season collapse begins in Maple Laugh town. Tomorrow night will be a glimpse of just how much stronger Montreal is from top to bottom. I’m fully expecting it to get ugly for the poor Leafers.
200.gif

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Maybe I'm reading your post wrong, but that's not true. When the NHL introduced the 5 minute sudden death OT in 1983, and until they introduced the "loser point" in 1999, a team didn't get a point if they lost in OT. It was considered simply a loss.
I think he means a tie

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Take away Montreal's 9 overtime loss points and they're on the outside looking in.

Since we are dealing in alternate universes turn MTL's 9 OT loses to OT wins and they are solidly ahead of the Jets and Oilers. This is silly.

In this REAL universe MTL is in 4th place with 9 OT loses and they still have a chance to catch WPG and EDM.

Reactions: Pongs21

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Ahh, yes Jack Campbell is the best goalie in history and will continue his .944 save percentage. Got it. He's never going to lose a game, Leafs will be undefeated!

Hammond was also an amazing goalie.

Not to say that Campbell won't be good -- but 9 games (even 9 wins) doesn't really mean much.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
A lot would be a massive stretch. I'm not even talking Cups, just bloody playoff rounds won. 7 teams times almost 30 years is close to 200 separate opportunities and between them all they've only managed about 50 playoff rounds won.
I mean I was bored at work and did the math there are 16 teams who make the playoffs over 30 years, in that time there are 450 series wins up for grabs, or across thirty years the collective sum of all the teams should have been about 100 playoff series

Now factoring in some other poitns
1) Dollar performance over the thirty years, CAD to USD was $0.60 during 90's and until almost 2008, post it's done better and they've done better
2) Higher taxes
3) Rebuilds Occuring in most In 2010-2018 (Habs 2012, 2018 and 2019, Sens 2017 onwards, Leafs 2014-2017, Vancouver 2016-2019, Calgary and Jets early 2010's, Edmonton 2010-2017/2018)

It's not really that surprising, what I would say is that I would expect that if we evaluate the next ten years in ten years you'll see a disproportionately higher wins then previous, McDrai and Matthews Marner are likely to win rounds and post the Canada Cup all teams are trending decently well moving forward that doesn't mean they'll all win but I would expect to see more canadian teams further into the playoffs then before.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Yes, because that OT was an extension of regular hockey. The current OT is not regular hockey; it's not even 4-on-4. It's a different thing altogether, the equivalent of deciding a game by a free-throw competition. Fun to watch, but nothing like the normal game.

There is no such thing as a "Loser point". It's made-up and factually wrong. Teams have always earned a point when they're tied at the end of regulation, or the short extension of regulation you mentioned. The current OT isn't an extension of regulation, it's almost literally a different game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad