WJC: Canada WJC Discussion (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I think Beaulieu will make it over Murphy. The fact that Beaulieu won the Memorial Cup last year and has experience in huge games and came up big in those games, will be a huge factor in him making it...Gormley, Ceci, Oleksiak, Murray, Beaulieu, Hamilton and Petrovic (in no specific order)

Saint Johns would have won the memorial cup without Beaulieu. He played well but just because he won the memorial cup doesn't mean he's better suited. And if you want to talk about coming up huge in games, Murphy at the U18 last year, best defensemen of the tournement by a mile and the only reason Canada made it as far as they did.

Its been said a bunch times, defense first, puck movers 2nd, and offense 3rd....Its for that reason I think Morrow and Harrington are still there.

When Bob McKenzie talked about defensemen, he mentioned the four offensive defensemen, Murphy, Beaulieu, Gauthier-Leduc, and Morrow. Since McKenzie takes a lot of his opinion from sources, it's likely Team Canada considers Morrow an OFD first as well.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You're going to look like a fool when Thomas makes the team. p.s Its going to suck listening to the World Juniors on your radio in Newfoundland.

No I won't. It had to do with him not including Gallagher and Stone. Not including Thomas. Just because I don't believe that Thomas will make it doesn't make me look like a fool. Stone and Gallagher are much surer bets the Thomas. I don't think there are many who would argue that. If Thomas makes it, good for him, I was wrong. I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Will you be rattled if he doesn't make it?

At least you will be able to see the man that dominates your spank bank back in Oshawa.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't think Thomas will make the team. He's not cut out for a 3rd/4th line role IMO.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
I don't think Thomas will make the team. He's not cut out for a 3rd/4th line role IMO.

Thomas looked good on the PP for white. not so much 5 on 5. Red looked bad on the PP. Murphy was just trying to score himself. White had better movement on the PP.

Last edited:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
My guesses:

Left Wing |Center |Right Wing
Quinton Howden |Mark Scheifele |Brett Connolly
Devante Smith-Pelly |Jonathan Huberdeau |Jaden Schwartz
Phillip Di Guiseppe |Ryan Strome |Christian Thomas
Tanner Pearson |Michael Bournival |Tyler Toffoli
|Freddie Hamilton |

If Huberdeau and/or Howden are injured, bump the 2nd and 3rd liners up and replace with Brendan Gallagher and Brad Ross respectively. 4th line is a complete guess.

Defence |Defence
Dougie Hamilton |Brandon Gormley
Ryan Murphy |Mark Pysyk
Ryan Murray |Nathan Beaulieu
Jamie Oleksiak

Not necessarily the pairings. Oleksiak could be replaced by Harrington.

Goalies:
Mark Visentin
Scott Wedgewood

I cannot see Petrovic being left off the roster, I thought he has played quite well so far.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario

From past experience, most Canadian WJC teams wind up with a 1st "gamebreaker" line, a second and third line with equal parts O and D that tend to play the same amount and a 4th line energy unit that play around 10 minutes a game.

I think a pure offensive guy who doesn't do much else could still have a role on the 3rd line. He's definitely not making it on a 4th line role, though. I could see, however, Stone as a 4th liner here.

Jumbo*

Everything I have read and seen with him is that while he works hard, he isn't strong at all and has trouble in the rough areas of the ice. That to me, is too soft for Canada.

He may not be a physical beast and stronger then everyone, but he is not "soft" as in he won't go to the dirty areas or take a hit to make a play. That was my interpretation of what he meant by soft.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I cannot see Petrovic being left off the roster, I thought he has played quite well so far.

From what I've heard, Hamilton, Gormley, Murphy, Pysyk and Murray were locks, and I don't see two of Oleksiak, Harrington and Beaulieu not making it.

That said, if Petrovic has played better than them at camp, then you make room for him. I just wouldn't want to be Hay when deciding which two of those guys you're cutting.

Dr Awesome

Yak in the city
Sep 24, 2008
British Columbia
He may not be a physical beast and stronger then everyone, but he is not "soft" as in he won't go to the dirty areas or take a hit to make a play. That was my interpretation of what he meant by soft.

I don't know much about the player that you are talking about, but I do agree with with your interpretation of "soft".

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Toffoli cut tomorrow, I can see it now.

Guaranteed....I highly doubt he was slotted on the team coming into camp, there's no room on the right side and he hasn't done anything.

Hell, I often find myself thinking he's the 3rd best player on his line in Ottawa. He's just got the best finish by far over Prince and Monahan...but the others do more of the work.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
That doesn't change my opinion though, that he isn't a good fit on the fourth line..and maybe not even on the third line.

If he makes it, I see him as the 13th forward. Based on what is left, this is probably what I would go with:

Schwartz - Scheifele - Connolly
Huberdeau - Strome - Stone
DSP - Bournival - Gallagher
Ross - Jenner - Bulmer
Hamilton

Gormley - Petrovic
Murray - Hamilton
Beaulieu - Pysyk
Murphy

Visentin
Bunz

**This mock is under the assumption that Howden is out for the tournament. Just looked really bad to me..potentially concussion?

Last edited:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
From what I've heard, Hamilton, Gormley, Murphy, Pysyk and Murray were locks, and I don't see two of Oleksiak, Harrington and Beaulieu not making it.

That said, if Petrovic has played better than them at camp, then you make room for him. I just wouldn't want to be Hay when deciding which two of those guys you're cutting.

Well the only real definitely locks on defense have been Murray and Gormley (For whatever reason). Wouldn't call Murphy a lock because one of the assisant coaches this year was the Ivan Hlinka coach last year and cut Murphy because he doesn't like sub 6'0 defensemen nor his style despite him being the best player in camp.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Well the only real definitely locks on defense have been Murray and Gormley (For whatever reason). Wouldn't call Murphy a lock because one of the assisant coaches this year was the Ivan Hlinka coach last year and cut Murphy because he doesn't like sub 6'0 defensemen nor his style despite him being the best player in camp.

Plus Murph seems totally lost on how teams wants him to play.
Ever since he's come back from Carolina he hasn't been the same player (concussion or no concussion). He's been playing to his weakness and not to his strengths.
Too be honest at one time I thought he was a 100% lock now.....less than 50%.

Last edited:

NewHabsEra*

If Im not wrong there is a game tonight against CIS All stars.. So are everybody who still are with the team playing tonight? Any idea of the line-up?

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
If Im not wrong there is a game tonight against CIS All stars.. So are everybody who still are with the team playing tonight? Any idea of the line-up?

it says on twitter 12 forwards 8 defensemen. it also says that players not playing tonight does not mean they have a spot on the team. But i would think that they do.

arsmaster*

Well Don Hay is going to take who he wants, I dont think his Assistants are going to be making final decisions.

That said, Murphy doesnt fit the team....he's too flashy.....

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Injuries are really starting to cause Hay & Co. some problems.

Though the injuries to Ross and Connolly appear to be resolved – at least to the point where both can resume on-ice activity, the growing list in Canada’s infirmary is causing head coach Don Hay some problems when it comes to deciding who the 22 players to represent Canada will be.

“We have to make the decision tomorrow,†Hay said. “We’ll put all the injuries into the discussions and really think it through. Part of our decision-making is where are the injured players at, what is their history, what would they add to our hockey club going ahead. All those things are in place.â€

http://futureconsiderations.ca/injuries-give-canada-cause-for-pause/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad