WJC: Canada WJC Discussion (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I really think its between these 5 for the last spot. And I think based on reports Morrow and Harrington are in tough.

So who to take out of the last three? The big defensive guy, the small offensive guy, or the combo guy. Gut instinct tells me that the team already has several D who could be considered mostly offensive D men, and as such may look to more D oriented players. Argueably then I think it may be mostly between Ceci and Oleksiak. Too bad because Murphy is a solid player, I'm just not sure his one dimensional skill set is enough to make the team.
Beaulieu not in the running?

arsmaster*

And Pearson has 26 this year..Thomas has 13..are we discussing last years team or this years?

You act like he is the only player that can bring all that. This isn't Team Slovakia..this is Team Canada. Great players don't make the team every year..look who Thomas is up against..and he isn't suited to 4th line duty imo.
I'd take Thomas over Pearson 10 times out of 10, however I dont feel either guy makes it.

The purest goal scorers in camp are : Connoly, Toffoli, and Thomas...and I think only Connolly makes the team.
I really think its between these 5 for the last spot. And I think based on reports Morrow and Harrington are in tough.

So who to take out of the last three? The big defensive guy, the small offensive guy, or the combo guy. Gut instinct tells me that the team already has several D who could be considered mostly offensive D men, and as such may look to more D oriented players. Argueably then I think it may be mostly between Ceci and Oleksiak. Too bad because Murphy is a solid player, I'm just not sure his one dimensional skill set is enough to make the team.

Its been said a bunch times, defense first, puck movers 2nd, and offense 3rd....Its for that reason I think Morrow and Harrington are still there.

Definately dont see Murphy ahead of guys like that.

Also Beaulieu has looked the best on the PP so far, and his breakout passes have been pretty good (when they work ;))

Its going to be very interesting for sure....love the competition, and really dont see how anyone left(who I didnt already state would be on the team) outperformed Dumba.

arsmaster*

I am from Newfoundland, and no I don't have a TV obviously as I live in an igloo.

Ignorance aside, I have seen him play 3 times in Oshawa this season alone as I have been there on business. In my opinion Jenner is the straw that turns the drink there.

I didn't say he wouldn't be able to help, he would make most other teams competing at this event quite easily. Canada just has players who are competing for the same spot who are better then Thomas. Simple as that, no one is saying he won't make the team because they want to get your panties in a bunch, they just don't think there is room for him.
Unrelated, Jensen is Oshawa's best player.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I'd take Thomas over Pearson 10 times out of 10, however I dont feel either guy makes it.

The purest goal scorers in camp are : Connoly, Toffoli, and Thomas...and I think only Connolly makes the team.
As would I. I was referring to the fact that all he talked about in his post was goals..and countered with the fact that a guy like Pearson or Toffoli has more..I wouldn't have any of those three on the team either.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I think Beaulieu will make it over Murphy. The fact that Beaulieu won the Memorial Cup last year and has experience in huge games and came up big in those games, will be a huge factor in him making it...Gormley, Ceci, Oleksiak, Murray, Beaulieu, Hamilton and Petrovic (in no specific order)

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
i have a gut feeling oleksiak will make it

not sure if its right but he could do a lot of damge with his size and work on a shut down pair

Gormley - Pysyk
Murray - Hamilton
Oleksiak - Petrovic
Beaulieu/Murphy

thats how I see dmen breaking down

Pretty accurate. I might swap out Oleksiak for Murphy in the 5th spot. We have enough size on the blue line with out Oleksiak. We could use an offensive defenceman.

GoalieGuy35

Jun 13, 2011
Dumba got cut, so Murray is on the team pretty much. Ty Rattie should make the squad, averaging a goal a game in any league is a big feat.

Toffoli is almost averaging a goal a game in the OHL, yet his chances of making the team are slim. Understandable that it's quite an accomplishment, but not necessarily making either of them a lock. I think Rattie has a much better chance at it than Toffoli does though.

I'm disappointed in what they are calling the 'CIS All Stars' tonight. This team consists of a mixture of players from the University of Calgary and University of Lethbridge. This does not represent Canadian Interuniversity Sport, and I really believe that if it were an actual team of CIS all stars from all over Canada, the game would be significantly more competitive. One thing that will be interesting to see is the physicality if there is much of it. These CIS guys can actually be men, who are thicker, older, and stronger than some of these juniors. No doubt Team Canada takes it, as their skill is overwhelming, but an actual CIS team would certainly be more difficult to handle.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
The way I can see the bolded guys are on the club. So to me there are 7 defensman competing for 3 spots.

I have to believe Pysyk has an inside track on one of them.

At forward, there are 3 spots left, with 10 guys competing. Strome probably has the inside track, but I dont think he is as much a lock as others do.

I havent seen him show a ton offensively yet (nobody really has though).

I dont think Pearson or Toffoli have shown any glimpses of why they should make this team.

I think that they will only cut 5 forwards and wait to see if Howden and Huberdeau can play. Howden maybe out and Huberdeau will TRY to skate next week.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
My guesses:

Left Wing |Center |Right Wing
Quinton Howden |Mark Scheifele |Brett Connolly
Devante Smith-Pelly |Jonathan Huberdeau |Jaden Schwartz
Phillip Di Guiseppe |Ryan Strome |Christian Thomas
Tanner Pearson |Michael Bournival |Tyler Toffoli
|Freddie Hamilton |

If Huberdeau and/or Howden are injured, bump the 2nd and 3rd liners up and replace with Brendan Gallagher and Brad Ross respectively. 4th line is a complete guess.

Defence |Defence
Dougie Hamilton |Brandon Gormley
Ryan Murphy |Mark Pysyk
Ryan Murray |Nathan Beaulieu
Jamie Oleksiak

Not necessarily the pairings. Oleksiak could be replaced by Harrington.

Goalies:
Mark Visentin
Scott Wedgewood

arsmaster*

I think that they will only cut 5 forwards and wait to see if Howden and Huberdeau can play. Howden maybe out and Huberdeau will TRY to skate next week.

I think Huberdeau is supposed to try and skate today. Not with any intention to play, but he hasnt been in a skate for a long while now.

I think I recall that being a report from TSN.

**Torts defense the more I look at it, looks like the defense corps we will have for the tournament.

Ceci put forth a great showing so far, I just dont see how he makes it, Oleksiak makes it for political reasons, Pysyk is good at defense and can move the puck (decent offensively....he's the #5 d man).

Its basically Beaulieu, Murphy, and Ceci for the 7th spot IMO...I would hope Ceci gets in over Oleksiak based on play, not merrit....just dont see it happening.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
My guesses:

Left Wing |Center |Right Wing
Quinton Howden |Mark Scheifele |Brett Connolly
Devante Smith-Pelly |Jonathan Huberdeau |Jaden Schwartz
Phillip Di Guiseppe |Ryan Strome |Christian Thomas
Tanner Pearson |Michael Bournival |Tyler Toffoli
|Freddie Hamilton |

If Huberdeau and/or Howden don't make it, bump the 2nd and 3rd liners up and replace with Brendan Gallagher and Brad Ross respectively. 4th line is a complete guess.

Defence |Defence
Dougie Hamilton |Brandon Gormley
Ryan Murphy |Mark Pysyk
Ryan Murray |Nathan Beaulieu
Jamie Oleksiak

Not necessarily the pairings. Oleksiak could be replaced by Harrington.

Goalies:
Mark Visentin
Scott Wedgewood

No Stone? He and Gallagher are locks.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
I think Huberdeau is supposed to try and skate today. Not with any intention to play, but he hasnt been in a skate for a long while now.

I think I recall that being a report from TSN.

**Torts defense the more I look at it, looks like the defense corps we will have for the tournament.

Ceci put forth a great showing so far, I just dont see how he makes it, Oleksiak makes it for political reasons, Pysyk is good at defense and can move the puck (decent offensively....he's the #5 d man).

Its basically Beaulieu, Murphy, and Ceci for the 7th spot IMO...I would hope Ceci gets in over Oleksiak based on play, not merrit....just dont see it happening.

On TSN today it says that he will try to skate NEXT WEEK

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
No Stone? He and Gallagher are locks.

I suppose if Huberdeau isn't healthy they could bump Strome up to the second line, put Schwartz on the 3rd line and put Stone in the RW. As noted though, the 4th line is a complete guess, so I'm fully willing to say Stone is a lock ahead of Toffoli.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
I thought Mackenzie said he would start skating today, but try and get in a game next week, otherwise he can't be named to the roster.

yes on Sunday he said he would try to skate on Tuesday now he is saying he will TRY to skate next week. they have until Dec 25 to select the team. I just think it would be wise to keep two extras forward around until you know so keep 15 instead of 13 and cut two on the 24 or 25. this way you have more time to see them play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad