WJC: Canada WJC Discussion (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Side note, Canada cant cut guys because they are 17. You cut guys because they dont fit in. Last year RNH looked good, but he did get exposed because of his size at times, Murphy was simply the 3rd best pure offensive guy. I thought Murray should have made the team over Gudbranson (based on play). 2 years ago, Seguin tried to do too much, McFarland, well all you have to say is that hes still eligible and hes not here, and Gormely was solid, but did look a bit tentative.

All I can say is that if Canada doesnt win gold this year, there will be 1 common factor -- no 17 year olds.

If Canada doesn't win gold, it won't be because they should have taken a 17-year-old (or 16-year-old for that matter). It's tough for 17-year-olds to make an impact in what is generally known as a 19-year-old tournament. There's still a few 2012 eligible players, it's not like Hockey Canada doesn't like under-agers. It's just tougher for them to make the team, naturally.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Strome has been invisible thus far. Gallagher has been buzzing around and was pretty darn good in that first game. Don't take the credit away from this kid cause this isn't just about these last two games. His season as a whole contributes to this in which he has been nothing short of brilliant. He is also a very versatile player that can fit in on any line.

I am not taking credit away from him at all, What I was suggesting is that had it not been for him playing under Don Hay in Vancouver he would not have locked up a spot on this roster due to his play to this point in camp.

Strome has not been great either, but fills a role that can not be easily replaced. ( As in a likely top six center spot )

Crusty Quinn

Oct 13, 2006
Edmonton
Haven't been able to keep up with camp due to exams, but I was wondering lot of people don't have Bunz making the squad. Has he played poorly, or have the other goalies performed better? Both?

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
More so a situation of familiarity for him, I dont think he earned the right to make the team already due to his play so far.

Suprised F.Hamilton has made the team also.

I would have sat Strome and Jenner in favor of those two.

Strome has something to prove, he has yet to do it.

TSN is saying he's forced himself closer to a bubble player, because he has actually done so.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Were those goaltending tandems picked randomly, or what? Because to me they seem like a pretty obvious indication of who Team Canada's looking at for the backup spot. Or am I just reading to much into it?

Those are the same goalie pairings that have been throughout the camp. They list Domingue over Visentin because I don't think Visentin plays at all in the game.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Strome has something to prove, he has yet to do it.

TSN is saying he's forced himself closer to a bubble player, because he has actually done so.

Who fills that second line center role then? If hes cut we are lacking in the skill department up the middle.

I agree he has not been great, but I dont see any better options.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I pose this question to you all. Based on what you have seen, heard and read about Brett Connolly, is he disinterested, disgruntled or misunderstood?

While the consensus ‘locks’ to make Canada’s club aren’t playing against the Canadian Interuniversity Sport All-Stars, there’s Connolly slated to play.

Suffice to say, Connolly has gotten off on the wrong foot in Canada’s National Junior Team Selection Camp. But is Connolly disgruntled, disinterested or just plain old misunderstood?

http://futureconsiderations.ca/vickers-connolly-disinterested-or-misunderstood/\

For the record, I'm going with misunderstood, if anyone asks.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I am not taking credit away from him at all, What I was suggesting is that had it not been for him playing under Don Hay in Vancouver he would not have locked up a spot on this roster due to his play to this point in camp.

Strome has not been great either, but fills a role that can not be easily replaced. ( As in a likely top six center spot )
Don't forget the fact we have so few centers left that with Scheifele sitting, he is basically forced to play.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Who fills that second line center role then? If hes cut we are lacking in the skill department up the middle.

I agree he has not been great, but I dont see any better options.

It's a tough one. TSN suggested Freddie Hamilton, maybe Huberdeau would play in the middle. That said, I expect Strome to make it. But they aren't impressed yet, and they really want him to impress.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Don't forget the fact we have so few centers left that with Scheifele sitting, he is basically forced to play.

Yeah, that was definitely a factor I suppose.

I have no issues with him making the team at all, I would just have preferred to see him play another game.

I would have rather seen Rattie or Toffoli cut last night, and have Gallagher slot in there.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
It's a tough one. TSN suggested Freddie Hamilton, maybe Huberdeau would play in the middle. That said, I expect Strome to make it. But they aren't impressed yet, and they really want him to impress.

I would be none to happy if F.Hamilton was our 2nd line center going into this tournament. Maybe thats just me.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I pose this question to you all. Based on what you have seen, heard and read about Brett Connolly, is he disinterested, disgruntled or misunderstood?

http://futureconsiderations.ca/vickers-connolly-disinterested-or-misunderstood/

I'll respond to your question with another question, Aaron.

What did you think of the hit?

What do you the story surrounding this hit would be had the roles been reversed?

I've been very adamant since last night that Connolly's personality is not one that is admired among fans, and that is very clear. Bob McKenzie even spoke to it.

Here is a reply I got from the Sens board, again The Expert, I am not picking on you. The Expert later said, he admitted that because of the point I made about people not liking Connolly....he said he couldn't deny that's why he's so critical of the hit.

I didn't like the hit, but it's mostly because I don't like Connolly, going back to the draft. Realistically it kinda seemed like Foligno-Hodgson, unfortunate situation, but anything that draws him criticism is cool with me.

Had Connolly softened up, he'd be getting criticized for not caring again.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Yeah, that was definitely a factor I suppose.

I have no issues with him making the team at all, I would just have preferred he made the team.

I would have rather seen Rattie or Toffoli cut last night, and have Gallagher slot in there.

Many people seem to think that Gallagher was one of the best forwards in the first game at least. Last night nobody really stood out. So nobody has really proved very much yet to be honest with you...

Last edited:

Htial

Oct 25, 2011

What do you the story surrounding this hit would be had the roles been reversed?

I've been very adamant since last night that Connolly's personality is not one that is admired among fans, and that is very clear. Bob McKenzie even spoke to it.

Here is a reply I got from the Sens board, again The Expert, I am not picking on you. The Expert later said, he admitted that because of the point I made about people not liking Connolly....he said he couldn't deny that's why he's so critical of the hit.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The people who get to know Connolly think he is a good guy, funny too. His Cougar teammates said this and now so has Jaden Schwartz. There are just some people who take a little while to open up to others and people end up reading it the wrong way.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The people who get to know Connolly think he is a good guy, funny too. His Cougar teammates said this and now so has Jaden Schwartz. There are just some people who take a little while to open up to others and people end up reading it the wrong way.

My one word response to Vickers would have been, misunderstood.

Seems like an introvert that isn't really comfortable infront of the camera, and doesn't enjoy it. And doesn't care to fake it either.

I'm much the same way with people I don't know. Although I wouldn't compare my persona to Connolly's. I wouldn't condemn him for it.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com

I'm not sure what you're asking so I'll quickly just touch on what I think you're looking for.

Unfortunately I didn't see the hit live. I am in the building but missed it between tweeting and doing the game blog. The only replay I've seen is from a bad angle and I couldn't hear the whistle on it. A few of the players didn't like it but Hockey Canada brass said all the right things about the hit.

I think Connolly's aura might be blown out of proportion. As you'll see in my blog post, I'm not sure if this is Connolly's personality or him being disinterested.

What I do feel is that no matter what Connolly does, he's going to be viewed as wrong or incorrect, which is unfortunate.

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Thomas is maybe the purest sniper in camp (with wheels). If he keeps sniping goals, then you make room for him, shift him or whoever to whatever wing... you just make it happen.

As for defence, we already have scoring power... we need to shutdown other teams speedy skill-guys. Pysyk should be in - grit, skating and defensive awareness.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I'm not sure what you're asking so I'll quickly just touch on what I think you're looking for.

Unfortunately I didn't see the hit live. I am in the building but missed it between tweeting and doing the game blog. The only replay I've seen is from a bad angle and I couldn't hear the whistle on it. A few of the players didn't like it but Hockey Canada brass said all the right things about the hit.

I think Connolly's aura might be blown out of proportion. As you'll see in my blog post, I'm not sure if this is Connolly's personality or him being disinterested.

What I do feel is that no matter what Connolly does, he's going to be viewed as wrong or incorrect, which is unfortunate.

Basically what I was looking for.

Not knowing where the puck was and not hearing the whistle made it difficult to tell. I'm kind of surprised some of the teammates we're so candid. At the end of the day, if he crossed the line, I doubt it was significant. Someone got hurt on it, and Connolly rubs people the wrong way....so people got sensitive.

I don't think we'd have heard nearly as much had Howden delivered the hit on Connolly.

Unfortunate play....but it's not like Colton Teubert on Jordan Caron version 2.0...I realize that was summer camp, but still. And it didn't even seem like people raised eye brows after that one.

Terrence

Aug 3, 2010
I would be none to happy if F.Hamilton was our 2nd line center going into this tournament. Maybe thats just me.

You're not the only one. I really hope Strome plays well

I'd like to see Scheifele, Strome, Bournival, and Jenner down the middle and Freddie Hamilton as the 13th forward. He has great versatility and plays all 3 forward positions.

JustGivingEr

How far we done fell
Aug 17, 2009
Hamsterdam
I think its pretty cool that both Hamiltons are going to make the team. It'll be a great experience for them (even better if we win).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad