WJC: Canada WJC Discussion (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
i really like all 4 goalies brought to camp

don't count wedgewood and domingue out just yet!!!

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
i really like all 4 goalies brought to camp

don't count wedgewood and domingue out just yet!!!

No goalie who has played for Canada at the Ivan Hlinka U-18 has represented Canada at the WJC since Jonathan Bernier in 08.... kinda scary actually

Mason, Tokarski, Pickard, Allen, Jones, Roy, Visentin never played the Ivan Hlinka.

The 92 crop consisted of Domingue and Pickard....

So basically every goalie who gets selected to play the Ivan Hlinka should be scared

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
I am not understanding this obsession with people including Oleksiak. For anyone who has watched him this year you will understand that he's been very average and that Team Canada has several (20+) better options than Oleksiak on defense. In no way should his decision to play for Team Canada or his draft pedigree earn him a spot on this roster. Hockey Canada has made more than enough mistakes naming undeveloped defensemen in the past and hopefully they learn from them. Give me Dumba, Ceci or Morrow over Oleksiak.

dino200022

Goalie
Domingue
Bunz
(but probably Visnetin starting just becasue he is a returnee, although the way he has played this year he should not even get an invite. I hope they make him earn it!)

Defence
Beaulieu - Pysyk
Murphy - Dumba
Gormley - Hamilton
Harrington
(Should be Morrow but Harrington and Hamilton have played together since U17)

Forwards
Hubs-Scheif-Phillips
Gallagher-Schwartz-Rattie
Howden- Spooner - Strome
Bulmer-Ross- Stone(Smith Pelley)
Toffoli(Stone)

Hard to leave guys off of this list...have to remember they usually carry a checking line hence Bulmer and Ross...should be lethal on the back end on the PP one unit should be Beaus and Murphy and the other is GOrmley and Hamilton scariness man!! Tendy might scare me again this year Visentin has been garbage so far. Wedgewood is barely in my top 10 and Bunz and Doms with no experience its scary

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I am not understanding this obsession with people including Oleksiak. For anyone who has watched him this year you will understand that he's been very average and that Team Canada has several (20+) better options than Oleksiak on defense. In no way should his decision to play for Team Canada or his draft pedigree earn him a spot on this roster. Hockey Canada has made more than enough mistakes naming undeveloped defensemen in the past and hopefully they learn from them. Give me Dumba, Ceci or Morrow over Oleksiak.

He's been OK...nothing great and not really head and shoulders (no pun) above average OHL defencemen.
He's a work in progress and maybe in 4 years he'll shine brighter.

IMHO..OHL'rs who'll make the team....Wedgewood, Murphy, Toffoli, Scheiffle, Thomas (redemption for this season), Strome and the Hamilton brothers.

I can't really speak for the players from the other leagues since I rarely have a chance to view them.

Last edited:

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Jaden Schwartz - Ryan Strome - Tyler Tofolli
John Huberdeau - Mark Scheifele - Zack Phillips
Quinton Howden - Mark McNeill - Ty Rattie
Brad Ross - Michael Bournival - Mark Stone
Brendan Gallagher

Brandon Gormley - Dougie Hamilton
Mark Pysyk - Jamie Oleksiak
Alex Petrovic - Ryan Murphy
Ryan Murray

Bunz/Visentin

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
Goalie
Domingue
Bunz
(but probably Visnetin starting just becasue he is a returnee, although the way he has played this year he should not even get an invite. I hope they make him earn it!)

They will make him earn it. Leland Irving was the backup goalie on the 2007 team and was cut from the 2008 team.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
Still kind of shocked Mckinnon isn't even getting a try-out. Oh well.

Don't be, he is 16. Crosby didn't even play a prominent role with the team as a 16 year old, neither did Tavares at 17. MacKinnon will likely be there next year but he wasn't going to be this year, and Hockey Canada isn't in the business of giving him a spot in camp just for experience for next year, they bring players there for a shot to make the team.

BLBarmada

Huberdeau, if Healthy will he on the top line, big lack of respect for Canada's best offensive player.

Also Brett Bulmer will make this team.

Strome and Huberdeau will rip this tournament apart, and I get the people our putting Phillips and Huberdeau together, but for Christ sakes Phillips is the center on that line and Huberdeau can play center.

I would like to know why Huberdeau isn't on the top line in most peoples minds.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Huberdeau, if Healthy will he on the top line, big lack of respect for Canada's best offensive player.

Also Brett Bulmer will make this team.

Strome and Huberdeau will rip this tournament apart, and I get the people our putting Phillips and Huberdeau together, but for Christ sakes Phillips is the center on that line and Huberdeau can play center.

I would like to know why Huberdeau isn't on the top line in most peoples minds.

It seems the general concensus is that Huberdeau will be a winger moving forward. I'd rather have Schiefele and Strome centering the top 2 lines than Huberdeau who IMO should be on the wing.

And it really doesn't matter where people are slotting him, chances are the top 2 scoring lines will get identical amounts of ice time.

BLBarmada

It seems the general concensus is that Huberdeau will be a winger moving forward. I'd rather have Schiefele and Strome centering the top 2 lines than Huberdeau who IMO should be on the wing.

And it really doesn't matter where
people are slotting him, chances
are the top 2 scoring lines will get identical amounts of ice time.

Huberdeau is better then both of them, and he can play center.
That being said I don't believe they can play wing/do play wing.

Here's my team:

Huberdeau-Strome-Ty Rattie
( I don't know if Rattie is a finesse type guy, I know Phillips isn't, and neither are Bulmer/Gallagher)

Schwartz-Schiefle-Howden
(Skill, scoring, grit, nice mix)

Bulmer-Phillips-Gallagher

( Teams would dread this line, it can hit, score and play D)

Ross-Bournival-Stone

(Grit,Skill, Defensively responsible)

Gormley-Murray

(Obvious much)

Murphy-Dumba

(Off the board)

Beaulieu-Hamilton

(Yes I'm a dogs fan)

Pysk

Domingue
Bunz

I don't like Visentin.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Here's my team (could change 55 times before camp started ;) )

Bunz
Domingue

Murray- Murphy
Gormley-Hamilton
Beaulieu-Pysek
Morrow

Huberdeau-Scheiffele-Stone
Schwartz-Strome-Toffoli
Howden-Bournival-Gallagher
Spooner-Jenner-Bulmer
Phillips

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Schwartz-Strome-Toffoli
Huberdeau-Scheifele-Stone
Howden-Spooner-Gallagher
Ross-Jenner-Bulmer
Bournival

Gormley-Hamilton
Murray-Murphy
Morrow-Petrovic
Pysyk

Bunz
Visentin

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Strome and Huberdeau together on a line would be devastating. Put a big, strong RW like Mark Stone and you have an impressive top line.

Huberdeau and Strome were top 5 picks for a reason. Along with RNH, they were the cream of the crop of offensive skill forwards in last year's draft. The knock on all three of them is that they need to fill out. In a WJC, not as big of an issue since they are playing with their peers and they've already demonstrated they can dominate.

GM17*

huberdeau is a natural centre, phillips a natural winger. They've swapped positions, and ironically Huberdeau played centre in Florida's camp and Phillips will 100% be a winger at the NHL level

That said, with the surplus of centres on team Canada, if one is comfortable on wing, he should slide over. Huberdeau will play wing probably

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Here's my team (could change 55 times before camp started ;) )

Bunz
Domingue

Murray- Murphy
Gormley-Hamilton
Beaulieu-Pysek
Morrow

Huberdeau-Scheiffele-Stone
Schwartz-Strome-Toffoli
Howden-Bournival-Gallagher
Spooner-Jenner-Bulmer
Phillips

That line up looks good, I expect Bournival to center the 3rd line unless he has a really bad camp. Will be interesting to see where they slot Gallagher and of course I'd love to see Beaulieu make it as well.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
huberdeau is a natural centre, phillips a natural winger. They've swapped positions, and ironically Huberdeau played centre in Florida's camp and Phillips will 100% be a winger at the NHL level

That said, with the surplus of centres on team Canada, if one is comfortable on wing, he should slide over. Huberdeau will play wing probably
That's the way I see it as well, same as Henrique (good on draws) not a natural center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad